Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Escape to exit... anyone else getting use to it?  (Read 2434 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Escape to exit... anyone else getting use to it?
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2010, 02:08:18 pm »

"Fix" for the space-in-manager-screen: Set space-in-strings to shift-space.

Scroll upwards in the keylist until you see space, and you can alter it there. Little getting used to, and solved!  ;D

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2010, 02:22:07 pm »

Changed mine back to space within 5 minutes. I also use / * for page up/down and - + for page selection thing.

I did not encountered any problems with it so far, except that I have to remap after every restart of the game... But that could be a problem of the filelinks I have there. Does anyone know where DF saves the bindings?

When youre in the key binding screen, press s to save your changes.

NobbZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2010, 02:28:38 pm »

I did not encountered any problems with it so far, except that I have to remap after every restart of the game... But that could be a problem of the filelinks I have there. Does anyone know where DF saves the bindings?

When youre in the key binding screen, press s to save your changes.

Args... Please let this be so easy :-) I will try that tommorow, my DF-Machine is already shut-down, and I am a bit of overworked and that nasty clock rings in about 7 hours... So goodnight to all the Europeans, good-whatever-fits-your-local-time to all the others :-)

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2010, 03:58:18 pm »

Changed it back to space immediately. Saves me a lot of RSI, for the reasons Raz stated.

The only problem now is, I can't use space anymore when typing in my mandates management orders, which is annoying. Typing in "ROCK DOOR" <ENTER> 30 <ENTER> is a lot faster than looking it up in a list with the arrows, and both the lists for ROCK as for DOOR is large enough to cost time. I want F9 back! Change is bad!  ;)

Exactly this. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2010, 05:06:27 pm »

Changed it back to space immediately. Saves me a lot of RSI, for the reasons Raz stated.

The only problem now is, I can't use space anymore when typing in my mandates management orders, which is annoying. Typing in "ROCK DOOR" <ENTER> 30 <ENTER> is a lot faster than looking it up in a list with the arrows, and both the lists for ROCK as for DOOR is large enough to cost time. I want F9 back! Change is bad!  ;)

Yup, same here.  :(

I miss the old functionality. System functions, like saving or exporting the map, are on an out of the way corner of the keyboard. Commonly used functions, like backing out of the numerous menus in the game, are done via space bar, which is convenient and easy to use. There are a huge number of menus in the game.

And yes you can rebind it, but you can on longer type in multiple word orders in the job manager screen.

I used to be able to type things like "col san" and "gre gla gra" very very quickly, to queue up, say, green glass grates from my magma glass furnaces.

No longer possible.  :(

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2010, 06:06:30 pm »

Hyndis, WTFace, see top of this page for the a solution: Bind text-space to shift-space :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2010, 06:25:23 pm »

I have backing out of things be backspace. Makes sense to me!

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2010, 06:42:49 pm »

First thing i did was change it back to space, and change cursor up/down to / and *
I feel so dumb for not doing this.
I even changed the up/down to , and . just so I didn't need shift, but why haven't I thought of this!? Blargh!
Thank you, sir. I'm off to do that at this very moment.

OP reply: No, I don't like it much, but considering DF has customizable controls I couldn't care less!
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

TheCze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2010, 06:50:34 pm »

First thing i did was change it back to space, and change cursor up/down to / and *

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2010, 06:56:19 pm »

I got used to esc pretty quickly. It seems more intuitive to me.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2010, 07:22:09 pm »

I also changed it back to space. I'll admit i'm biased to space because I'm so used to it but Esc just feels too far out the the way for something I use every 5 seconds.
Pages: 1 2 [3]