Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Escape to exit... anyone else getting use to it?  (Read 2438 times)

Sourlout

• Bay Watcher
  • L-l-l-ook at you hacker
    • View Profile
Escape to exit... anyone else getting use to it?
« on: April 07, 2010, 11:56:37 pm »

When I started up the newest version, I originally didn't like having to use the escape key as the exit button.  However, now that I have been playing for.... more hours then I care to admit (to myself), I have gotten really use to using the escape key as the back button.  In fact, it is now my preference.  I am curious about what others have found.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Escape to exit... anyone else getting use to it?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 12:05:03 am »

First thing i did was change it back to space, and change cursor up/down to / and *
Magma is overrated.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 12:07:43 am »

I didn't realize I was used to it until I check up on one of my 40d forts and kept sending myself to the 'Return to Game' screen. Now it's memory mapped just like the spacebar used to be. You adapt to things.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 12:10:10 am »

I like it a lot better having gotten used to it

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 12:21:06 am »

Some of the menu-related enhancements are HUGE improvements, like "enter required for important stuff".  Escape to go back has reached the point of "I don't care, it's not horrible" for me, for most things.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Pasakoye

• Bay Watcher
  • c is for SCAMPS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 01:37:51 am »

At first it was really awkward, but after a day or two I got use to it as much as the space bar.
I'm not sure why people would change it back to space, unless they are still playing 40d.
If all you were doing was 2010, then I would move on and use esc.
I play as elves.
What the f*ck is wrong with you?
DF doesn't have a learning curve. It has a sheer cliff face. And you have to climb it with nothing but a keyboard.

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 02:21:40 am »

Because Esc does not even lie adjacent to pretty much all other relevant keys, whereas spacebar is always within reach of at least one of your thumbs. Having to reach to the top left every time you want to exit a menu (which happens a lot) can get a bit annoying. Furthermore, the fact that you need yet an additional key to operate a major part of the game doesn't make it more intuitive in the slightest. If anything, the keys should get more consistent and streamlined. Sure, I too have gotten used to it, but I really don't see the added value.

Same applies for the inconsistency in scrolling with + - ; / * ; Numpad 8 2 and 9 3. Why not do the scrolling with shift + or shift - if we're already doing it for looking around. Furthermore, it seems like the scrolling properties change for a lot of menus, making it a pain in the ass to operate if you haven't memory mapped it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 02:26:46 am by Raz »
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 02:39:25 am »

I didn't even notice it had changed :/ I just press Esc automatically I guess.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 02:41:57 am »

Changed it back to space immediately. Saves me a lot of RSI, for the reasons Raz stated.

The only problem now is, I can't use space anymore when typing in my mandates management orders, which is annoying. Typing in "ROCK DOOR" <ENTER> 30 <ENTER> is a lot faster than looking it up in a list with the arrows, and both the lists for ROCK as for DOOR is large enough to cost time. I want F9 back! Change is bad!  ;)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 02:51:50 am »

It's not bad, it's a taste of preference.

I like how it's more uniform now. No more "space here, esc there, somethingelse there". Now I wish +/-, up/down and umkh selectors were made more uniform, and the game would move on closer to the interface arc.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 02:59:08 am »

I didn't realize I was used to it until I check up on one of my 40d forts and kept sending myself to the 'Return to Game' screen. Now it's memory mapped just like the spacebar used to be. You adapt to things.

Basically this, except I was just opening 40d to test that something worked the same in both 40d and 31.01.  (It did.)

Kallemort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 03:06:02 am »

I changed my controls to space for menu exiting, / and * for secondary menu scrolling, and + and - for z-levels. , and . are used to scroll secondary menus one page at a time.

I always found these controls the best, since most stuff is within reach of my movement hand on the numpad.
Maybe numpad 0/Insert would be better than space though?

Toksyuryel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 03:36:31 am »

I was never comfortable with using space to exit menus and screens because it could accidentally interact with the pause state in ways I really didn't want it to. The change to esc has made me very happy.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 04:09:07 am »

No, because one of the first things I did was rebind the key back to space in the options menu to save my poor fingers. :)

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 05:13:25 am »

Nope, sorry, not getting used to something as arbitrary and useless as this, especially since it can be changed back to space :) I have metric damn-tons of other stuff to get used to anyway, thank you very much. Like assigning anyone to the military causing a minor, or even major, cerebral hemorrhage.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."
Pages: [1] 2 3