Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Escape to exit... anyone else getting use to it?  (Read 2435 times)

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Escape to exit... anyone else getting use to it?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 05:55:56 am »

Don't get me wrong, i love things becoming more uniform. Its just that, like raz* said: its a really bad place for something you press so often. Space bar is where it is, and what shape it is for a reason: so it can easily be pressed by both hands pretty much regardless of your position on the keyboard.

*(hey man, must have been 2 years since i spoke to you in IRC last),
Magma is overrated.

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 06:23:24 am »

I don't mind the change, it allows you to pause/unpause the game while you're in certain menus like squad control without having to exit it first.

Unless I remember that wrong...

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 07:39:21 am »

No, but I am getting used to being only able to use one word when searching for build orders in the manager menu.  ;)

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 07:44:41 am »

I changed it back to space briefly but then changed it back for some reason. Either way I'm totally to Esc now.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 07:50:41 am »

more than it being esc or space I like that now every screen uses the same shortcut to exit

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2010, 08:34:19 am »

I don't. Space is used in the manager screen to type "ROCK DOOR"...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2010, 09:11:57 am »

Nope. Escape is just a bit out of reach. So i changed it back to space.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2010, 10:14:52 am »

Hey I got used to it pretty quickly. My many disastrous forts made me rather adaptive (if you do not make a quick solution to situation "Half of my dwarves are isolated in living quarters because that *** aquifer flooded entire mid-fortress" you just adapt and live with 33% of your old fort under water.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2010, 10:34:43 am »

I changed it back about as soon as I realized what was going on. I find it really annoying and wish it was back the way it was.

Sykirobme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2010, 10:51:48 am »

I like having a single key to exit all menus, etc.  It took a bit of getting used to, but like most others here, I adapted.  The present system is much better than using different keypresses to exit different menus (always hated the F9 exit).
ka KenHR on most other fora.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2010, 11:08:23 am »

I prefer it. I don't accidentally unpause the game in mid-combat while leaving menus anymore. Big plus. I may remap it to something closer to my hand-working area though.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Lehawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2010, 11:55:51 am »

Maybe took 10-15 minutes for me to get used to. Seems so natural to use.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2010, 01:34:33 pm »

Because Esc does not even lie adjacent to pretty much all other relevant keys, whereas spacebar is always within reach of at least one of your thumbs.

This.

Given that we can remap keys in the textfile, perhaps someone could work out an effective key layout and post it on DFFD or similar?
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2010, 01:43:20 pm »

At first I changed it back to space but I found that conflicted with some things(can't remember what).  So I changed it to 0 on the num-pad.  Works pretty good.  Honestly I think it's more efficient to keep the pause and cancel/back keys separate.  I think the squad command menu gets messed up when you leave them the same as it doesn't pause the game when you use it.

NobbZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2010, 02:03:07 pm »

First I was annoyed of ESC, changed it to SPACE, I loved it until j-m-r-o-c-k-SPACE :-(

Then I was annoyed by ESC again and tried something totally different... Why should I use SPACE, ESC or something else weird key that is not on my small handy bluetooth numpad? So I remapped exit to NUM0 and exit-all to NUMDOT, I did not encountered any problems with it so far, except that I have to remap after every restart of the game... But that could be a problem of the filelinks I have there. Does anyone know where DF saves the bindings?
Pages: 1 [2] 3