Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Quitting Addictions and Habits  (Read 9452 times)

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quitting Addictions and Habits
« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2010, 10:07:24 am »

This video is related to this thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpXuV7Ei-To

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2010, 10:41:17 am »

I moved out at 17... It's healthy.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2010, 06:56:13 pm »

A job has made a huge impact on the video game problem, and is starting to solve some other problems too. Its amazing how throwing boxes around for hours at a time can solve so many diverse problems! Chucking packages has made me look even better, helps me sleep at night, pays for gas, can get my own car soon, etc...

Soon this whole mess will start to be sorted out, and things can be aligned to make some positive progress. I don't know what it's going to take to reclaim my healthy social life, but this certainly is a start
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 17, 2010, 08:04:59 pm »

I smoke near 10 packs a week.  And I live in New Jersey.  And buy premium brand cigarettes, Parliament, out of habit and vanity.  They cost $7.50 a pack.  $75 a week by 52 is $3900 a year.  That is effectively one tenth of my take home income.  I love smoking, I romanticize it and I do smoke because it makes me feel cool.  I also feel a tremendous chemical and psychological addiction.  If I smoke my last cigarette before bed and wake the following morning without, I am furious.  I lite a butt out of an ashtray or swear I will quit the things.  It does not take long before I am parking my car at the corner store.  I can't even recall making a decision or my reasoning for going out, getting more cigarettes is just automatic.

I went for a good run today, first time in a long while.  About 1.5mi.  It felt good and I didn't feel winded while I ran.  I walked the 1.5mi back home and it wasn't until I got back home and sat and rested that I started coughing and feeling like my lungs are rotten bags of tar and shit.

I think exercise, particularly aerobic exercise is a powerful anti smoking technique.  The trick is I have no experience starting or even maintaining a good exercise routine.  The only routine I have reliably maintained is smoking cigarettes.

I am making a commitment to do the following things.  Have another run tomorrow.  Next time I go out for cigarettes I will instead go to a tobacco shop and buy some loose tobacco, cigarette papers or maybe a pipe.  The convenience of cigarettes I suspect makes them much easier to chain smoke excessively.  If I could fulfill my smoking habit only after a more complicated ritual of loading and lighting a pipe or rolling my own I could perhaps significantly reduce intake.  At least I'd be spending a lot less.

Thats all I have to add at the moment.  Thanks for the thread it was good to write a few of these things down as I was actively thinking on them.  Smoke 'em if you've got 'em.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2010, 03:31:20 am »

That might help, but rolled tobacco has a lot of inconveniences as well. Brown fingers, tar on your lips (yech!), not looking cool because you can't roll...

I spend a lot less, but still more than I'd like to. I've been postponing the quitting. I am aware of it and it gnaws on me. Not a good place to be, really. Stop and feel bad, or continue and feel bad.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2010, 11:37:45 pm »

I'm actually (I think) psychologically addicted to the internet. Just look at this! It's half past 5 AM where I live and although I don't need to wake up early tomorrow, I'm not here for any particular reason. I watched all the new videos of my subscriptions on Youtube and felt kind of bored or empty. Then, I watched a live stream of games. Then, I watched older recorded videos from that stream. I check Facebook and stuff like that, get distracted by TV-Tropes for an hour or so etc.
I also often forget to eat when I'm at the PC for a long time. I still eat 2 or 3 times a day, because I have to eat, being very underweight, but I just procrastinate it and eat dinner at 3 AM or something like that. Naturally, that doesn't really help me sleep. I don't have sleeping problems at all. I can sleep extremely long, but I miss out on most of the day.
Well, if I have to wake up early the next morning, I manage to go to bed "early", "early" meaning something between 1 and 2:30 AM. That's not so funny if you have to wake up at 6:15 AM, especially because I'm nearly always kind of tired, a sign of my other addiction:
Coffee. I'm not really addicted to it and if I sleep very long, I often forget to drink some. For example, I only had one cup of coffee today and that was only for good measures. But I started drinking coffee when I was 9. That doesn't mean that I drank my first sip of coffee when I was 9 (that was when I was 5), but that I started drinking regularly. Not much, but normally one cup per day.
When I have to wake up in the morning (in other words: between 6:15 and 11:30), I can't really go outdoors without a cup of coffee. Even then, I always get tired between noon and 2 PM. Yeah, I know, that might be because I always stay up late, but even if I sleep (just) enough, it doesn't help. It's just the waking up "early" that gets me. It's quite a strange physical addiction.
Also, I have an extremely sweet tooth. If I have enough cookies, I can eat two packages of them a day. Not regularly, but it just happens sometimes. Same with chips. Once I started, I can barely stop eating before the whole package is empty. That's probably just a bad habit, seeing as it doesn't really affect me at all because I still don't gain any weight.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 27, 2010, 12:06:26 am »

I had one psychology class where we got these wristbands and were supposed to put them on, and then pick a habit we wanted to break. Then we were supposed to keep the band on the same wrist for 21 days straight, and every time we indulged in the habit, switch wrists and start the count over. Supposedly 21 days is kind of an average threshold for breaking habits.

I think my habit was cussing. I gave up a few days in, although partly because the wristband was a pain in goddam fucking ass
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 27, 2010, 12:36:47 pm »

Yeah, I've been working on my internet addiction.  The solution so far has involved unplugging my entire computer rig and putting it under my desk, then going in a different building to study.  So far, it's working pretty well.

I don't know.  I think I just decided I disliked the direction my life was going and decided I had to do something else with my remaining days.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]