Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Quitting Addictions and Habits  (Read 9455 times)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
Re: Quitting Addictions and Habits
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2010, 04:29:03 pm »

I've honestly developed a psychological dependence on the internet.

Same here. :(

Ditto. I sit down to write a paper or something, then ten minutes later, I find myself on Facebook.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Master Catfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2010, 03:08:55 pm »

Addictions suck.  I've found that sometimes when people have cravings but want to kick an addiction they use a substitute.  Something like eating cake instead of smoking cigarettes.  Might not be a terrible idea to get into the habit of using something healthier as a substitute.  I once kicked a mild opium addiction with root beer, and eventually stopped drinking the root beer too. 

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2010, 06:27:13 pm »

I have a problem with Med-X.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2010, 01:15:15 pm »

I might pick up chewing toothpicks or something.

This week, mini-Siquo tried to grab the ashtray (which is located near the balcony door, we smoke outside), because she wants to do everything we do. So she wanted a cigarette. She's 1.5 yrs. I really need to quit. This month.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2010, 08:53:22 pm »

Cool thread. 

Nice to see people taking this stuff seriously.

I still smoke, but I'm 10 months sober.  I'd been smoking pot for about 5 years, and spent about a year doing harder stuff, like opiate painkillers (oxycodone, vicodin, morphine) etc.

Whole life went to shit, ended up isolated in a small room with my window and door always closed, dropped out of college, way in debt, living with my parents, until I couldn't take it anymore and came clean to my family.  They helped me get into recovery (12 step program) and it's stuck.

If anybody is experiencing addiction to drugs or alcohol, consider looking up a meeting in your area just to check it out, if for no other reason than to meet a complete stranger and tell them the truth about your addiction.  See what they have to say. 

At the very least, you'll get a free cup of coffee.  I got a LOT more than that, but it isn't for everyone. 
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2010, 11:13:39 am »

Free coffee?
I'm there.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2010, 12:50:17 pm »

I just tried to quit coffee ;)

That's quite a story, valcon, and I'm glad you can keep it up. It's so easy to slip up, and one only needs to slip up once.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2010, 02:55:17 pm »

I just tried to quit coffee ;)

I prefer still being awake by noon, so I'm happy to remain dependent on my daily investment banker's breakfast.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 08, 2010, 12:51:09 am »

I really don't know much about quitting addictions, but I know there are some programs out there that seem to be very effective: what you do is you bet money on quitting, and if you fail to quit, the money is donated to a charity or whatnot (or you could donate it to something you dislike to raise the stakes even more). It's at stickk.com [sic], if anyone's interested.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 08, 2010, 07:54:01 am »

I really don't know much about quitting addictions, but I know there are some programs out there that seem to be very effective: what you do is you bet money on quitting, and if you fail to quit, the money is donated to a charity or whatnot (or you could donate it to something you dislike to raise the stakes even more). It's at stickk.com [sic], if anyone's interested.

Just don't bet too much with the charity, otherwise you might start getting letters from starving orphans saying "Come on! One puff ain't gonna hurt! Smoking isn't bad for you! Just one more cig will make you feel ALL better!".

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2010, 06:49:01 am »

When I moved out, I completely quit video games, and internet, cold turkey. Unfortunately, when I had to move back to my hometown (starting over from square one O-0) I took them up again.

Video games seem to be a form of escapism, or at least a crutch for something to do, as when you have no money and find few things to do around you, video games are cheap and repeatable. I find it much easier to stop playing games when I develop a relationship, or if I find a new person to hang out with, but that doesn't happen as often as I believe it should. I would like to quit, but first I need to find something to fill the time-void it will leave off. Something tells me that and quite a few other recent issues have been a result of defaulting back home and will be better once I get my own place again
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2010, 07:02:24 am »

Does the playing of videogames affect your life in a negative way?

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2010, 07:57:09 am »

Yeah, I find video game abuse to be in bad taste. I find it similar to those who sit around and toke all day without doing much of anything else, and that I feel above that kind of overindulgence.

Without spewing my life story, I played games all the time as a young kid, in highschool I met people and enjoyed the finer life of being very social (and physically fit), and I strongly prefer the latter over the former.

In this town I don't really have the social activities that were available before I moved out, or when I moved out, so it's tough defaulting back to video games.
While talking to AJ:

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2010, 08:20:19 am »

You could try making them. It'll give you more satisfaction, and you'll even learn some skills doing that. And you might feel less guilty ;)

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2010, 09:10:32 am »

Nah, I've made a few, modded a few, learned Python, and was going to go into IT, but I just don't like the kind of lifestyle. I'm studying psychology instead and may try a minor or a certification in personal training.

I can live well without the games, I guess in order to do so I gotta gotta get my own place again, where I can enjoy the finer points in life without having the parental filter. Hopefully I still remember how to have fun once it's offered to me :P

On a site note, I moved out when I turned 18, and would like to move out and stay out before I turn 19. I love the independence and the responsibility of taking care of yourself. Does anyone else feel the need to move out at the 18-19 age? I seem to find it sort of lame to still be living here when it's not too incredibly difficult to get a full time minimum wage job, get a car, move out, and build up from there
While talking to AJ:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8