Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Starting builds!  (Read 4805 times)

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starting builds!
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2009, 03:48:17 am »

It's a neat trick to make all miners/farmers/cooks/whatevers novices in weaponsmithing or armorsmithing to increase the chances of bad ass artifacts.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
Re: Starting builds!
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2009, 04:36:56 pm »

I sometimes go with no skills whatsoever, 1 axe, 2 picks, and loads of food 'n' booze.

Actually it's easy as they get skills pretty fast

I've been doing something like this since I've started playing the dark dwarf mod. That world is brutal, so I load up a few with military skills but everyone else is unskilled labor and I just designate a specialty.

I've learned you don't have to waste points on negotiation and such at all for your trader, as the first time he goes to the depot and trades he will become skilled in trading.

Woah. I almost managed a fort WITHOUT getting any skills or stuff except 3 wooden logs on start. So, I built a depot with the logs, then went fishing so I could trade turtle bones once eaten and such. But, when the traders arrive, they got jumped by the goblins. The traders won, but all the merchants have been killed, only the guards survived. After that, the guards just left.

As some of my dwarves then went to get booze at the caravan, they got killed by the 2 goblins that fled from the guards. The remaining 2 dwarves then starved as I forgot to put them on fishing.

Damn I hate goblins with ranged weapons.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]