Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Rhesus maquaces, not so harmless anymore  (Read 3191 times)

Mechanical Yeti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rhesus maquaces, not so harmless anymore
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 11:47:56 pm »

They haven't attacked me, only stolen anything they could find. Is there something that turns them violent, or perhaps it depends on the region?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 05:45:13 am »

You don't realise how important war dogs are until the mandrills turn up.

mwhehehe...man drill....
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 06:37:38 am »

I know I could Mod (at least for future occasions) but I've caught so many chimpanzees, elephants, gazelles, warthogs and the like in my traps (and had so many offspring that I'm almost tempted to go 100% carniverous) that I want to see my chimps riding the elephants into battle, flanked by the various horned and tusked creatures, and perhaps some mass rat/lizard/etc vermin flanking units.

I used to have problems with wildlife stealing my things (or overcoming my hunters) but these days I tend only to start running out of traps.  My current fortress as around 100 cage traps set in strategic outdoor positions to prevent wildlife disturbing operations, not counting the couple of dozen set to specifically deal with invaders and the few more mopping up on the 'escape route' from the place I'll be testing different weapon trap combos on the score or so of the POWs I've still got ensnared.  (Again, I know I could MOD to induce a Stokholm Syndrome, but I feel it's a little wasteful them only being a source of bones.  Unless by chance goblins, elves and kobolds happen to breed in (non-caged) captivity.)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2009, 06:38:56 am »

Bow Chicka Bow Wow
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 11:41:18 am »

Those damn monkeys always bother me.

Yesterday, I had just finished plowing through a 20-goblin siege, when the monkeys showed up. All my workers were inside and no one was hurt, but it was still annoying because every 2 seconds, the game would pause and I'd get an announcement: "A Rhesus Macaque has stolen a Narrow Cave Spider Silk Sock!"

It was very obnoxious. I nearly pulled my beard hair out.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 04:50:51 pm »

Anyone know if items stolen by monkeys go anywhere?  I'm pretty sure kobolds will bring thing back to their cave, where you can find them in adventure mode, but if the monkeys get it is it gone forever?

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2009, 05:09:25 pm »

I think they're gone the moment the monkey get their hands on them.  I've tried looking for items stolen and have never been able to find them, even if I kill the monkey that I know took it.  But I'll admit I've never looked for "lost" items in adventure mode.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009, 06:24:19 pm »

If you force them to walk further to get to your traps or anything interesting they'll stop showing up quite so frequently.

Since you seem ok with modding editting the raws so that they were much slower would make them considerably less annoying.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 10:19:01 pm »

I wonder if it's possible to cause macaques to explode by letting  dwarf or two (immigrants) burn in magma and not bothering to defend their gear. Then the rhesus show up and boom! monkey flames.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2009, 11:35:27 am »

I wonder if it's possible to cause macaques to explode by letting  dwarf or two (immigrants) burn in magma and not bothering to defend their gear. Then the rhesus show up and boom! monkey flames.
Uh oh, monkeysplosion!
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2009, 01:56:39 pm »

Mod their internal temperature in the raws. Thermonuclear chimpsplosion.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2009, 02:17:41 am »

Rhesus are useful, because they willingly trap/kill themselves in cages/with rocks. Good source of food and hilarious prisoner disposal system.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2009, 02:31:58 am »

It's Rhesus, for breakfast!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Alrenous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2009, 06:03:33 am »

Your shame just makes it more delicious.
It started raining, then all my dwarves outside started bleeding to death. On inspection their upper bodies were missing.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2009, 04:05:10 pm »

Screw the chimp food. now I'm hungry for more shame! Rashilul, post pictures of yourself in a dress wearing lipstick on myspace! The shame off of that act will feed me like a king for a year! and then I can devour my own shame for looking as an aperitif.
Pages: 1 [2]