Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin decorations!  (Read 1628 times)

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblin decorations!
« on: March 30, 2009, 12:13:38 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Why is that special?

Tardune the Obsidian Scepter is an artifact (low-value, sadly) in my present fortress. I had no idea gobbos could decorate their own gear with stuff referencing things like that! This tunic came off of a gobbo ambusher, by the way.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin decorations!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 12:20:36 am »

reminds me of the time the dwarven caravan kept selling me plate mail with images of my artifact armor stand on it. like a visual instruction manual

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 12:32:26 am »

Apparently they can decorate images from legends as well. Imagine after a particularly devastating ambush, the next set of goblins come with items decorated with images of goblins striking down dwarves. Uh-oh.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 03:13:39 am »

Apparently they can decorate images from legends as well. Imagine after a particularly devastating ambush, the next set of goblins come with items decorated with images of goblins striking down dwarves. Uh-oh.

So after epic victory over their ambush, the next one could come with stuff decorated with images of gobbos being struck down by dwarves?
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 03:15:47 am »

its better when you have been beating them senseless for years with a single champion armed with an artifact weapon, and the weapon starts appearing on all their armor and clothing.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 06:50:10 am »

In my last fort I had a situation that went thus.

1: Goblins siege and are driven off
2: Bone carver goes into a mood, creates a goblin bone armor stand; Betantun "The Calm Doors", as if in celebration of the peace achieved by the successful defeat of the gobbos.
3: Siege occurs. Goblin bowman shows up with a picture of Betantun on his crossbow. As if to say "Hey guys, remember Steve? They made him into an armor stand! Lets get the little bearded freaks...for Steve!"

Epilogue: They are promptly murdered.

Thought it was nifty though. Kind of like they used it as a rallying symbol.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 08:56:33 am »

Why is that special?

Tardune the Obsidian Scepter is an artifact (low-value, sadly) in my present fortress. I had no idea gobbos could decorate their own gear with stuff referencing things like that! This tunic came off of a gobbo ambusher, by the way.

This is wierd...in fact, this is not right. How do they know about this weapon of yours at all? Toady should fix this.

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 12:12:04 pm »

Spies!  Spies everywhere!

Yeah, I thought that had happened to me, but then I noticed that I'd set my leather and clothing shops to decorating items, and I thought it more likely that they Dwarven decorations on Goblin loot.
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 12:37:29 pm »

Spies!  Spies everywhere!

Yeah, I thought that had happened to me, but then I noticed that I'd set my leather and clothing shops to decorating items, and I thought it more likely that they Dwarven decorations on Goblin loot.

Not possible. This tunic came off of a goblin ambusher which I never even saw; I holed up inside the fortress with DWARVES DO NOT GO OUTDOORS CONFOUND IT and just watched corpses start to stack up on top of my stonefall traps. So it can't have been decorated unless my leatherworker is TELEKINETIC!
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Jakkarra

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 02:03:44 pm »

So it can't have been decorated unless my leatherworker is TELEKINETIC!

Vermin have 1337 teleportation powers, and virtually everything seems to be omnipresent, so why not?

Love, jakkarra

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 07:10:38 pm »

I think because artifacts are generated by divine inspiration.  Therefore gobbos may get an divine inspiration about an artifact they never seen before.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Musluk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 06:03:23 am »

Aaactually...
Fe3g12 - the fourth iron ore.
The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 03:24:34 am »

when decorating anything, the decorator has access to the entire history of the local area right up to the present. as my current fort is in an area with only goblin forts surrounding it, at least half my engravings are all about goblins. one goblins. in particular, one quite epic goblin called Gozru Werecircle, who during a 60 year career as a hunter killed hundreds of goats and camels, and many sasquatches. she and several giant eagles ambushed each other every now and then in decades long grudge matches, each time one or the other would lose a limb.

eventually poor gozru, hopping out on one leg to go hunting again with her one remaining arm, she lost her remaining limbs to her oldest surviving enemy, Smilecloisters the giant eagle, who died during the fight.

sitting out in the wilderness as a limbless blob Gozru was promptly done away with by Brutemurders the Sasquatch, who was no doubt quite keen to get back at Gozru for the many many sasquatches she had hunted down over the years.

i really dont have much to complain about, as all the goblin engravings are pretty awesome and they beat the endless images of mayors being elected, but it is pretty weird when you are playing a fortress inhabited by dwarves to have them aparently idolizing a goblin who died ten years before the fortress was founded. its also not unrealistic that i may have killed some of gozrus children in the sieges, her civ is right next to mine and she did procreate a great deal.

Chandrasekhar

• Bay Watcher
  • [DIES_WHEN_KILLED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 04:21:40 am »

Reminds me of a child snatcher that attacked my fortress a short while ago.  His clothes were decorated with an image of an artifact drum.  The dwarf child he tried to kidnap was the son of the maker of the artifact drum.  That goblin must've been a major fan.

Jakkarra

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 10:14:50 am »

id love to see little blots of flavour like that Chan. virtually anything, no matter how small, like this really helps with immersion and stuff.

Wouldent hurt if individual dwarfs were more valuable/likeable, too.

Love, jakkarra