Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: [Index] - Frequently Posted Suggestions  (Read 6807 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Index] - Suggestions not to Make
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2009, 03:24:11 pm »

Or it could be titled: Really Common Suggestions, since the main purpose of this index is to direct people to the main threads about these suggestions. It's not that we don't necessarily want people talking about these issues, we just want them to say something new.
+1

Hell, +3

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2009, 04:53:20 pm »

Hmmm..."Suggestions We've Already Thought Of..." ?
For they would be your masters.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2009, 05:21:41 pm »

I like this more positive direction for the title, but I think the wording could be a little more formal.

"Frequently Posted Threads" or maybe "Frequently Posted Suggestions?"

==

Right Mikademus, I still need to pull sparring out of medicine. Thanks.

==
Instead of Global History Progression, why not "Macro Game," or just an abbreviation, such as GHP?

Um, isn't this rather moving in the opposite direction?

How about:

World History - (advance history, retire fortress)
-Spoiler-

With a bunch of links and keywords inside the spoiler.

==

Tormy's MLoS is going in the useful indexes list. --and my bookmarks. This is handy, and I'm going to link to it a lot.

The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: [Index] - Frequently Posted Suggestions
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2009, 05:47:20 pm »

Bumping this for great justice.
Also, it's been added to my handy new Link Repository, available in over 1,450 locations and counting!

...And the OP needs to stay here and keep it updated.
(Hey!  The Mine Cars URL tag is missing the most important bracket of all!  The first one!  The entire link is broken!)
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2009, 08:52:28 pm »

Please don't bump this. It was never really intended to stay on the front page, and hopefully it will be replaced by a better, wiki-based system soon.

With all the drama that these [Index] and [Forum] suggestions have stirred up, I'm beginning to feel it would be best if this thing sank into the depths of the archives and was never seen again.

No amount of information will change this forum. The problem with these people is a conflict of attitudes, not a shortage of knowledge.

In fact, I'd like to publicly apologize. Even in my painkiller fogged state, I never should have allowed myself to believe that people could be persuaded to act like reasonable adults in aggregate, on the internet. That simply isn't how life works, and I'm the one in the wrong, for acting like it was.

I am going to fix that link though. So long as this thing exists, it should exist properly.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 08:54:58 pm by Felblood »
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2009, 01:10:53 am »

Dude, this may be a trainwreak of a thread (atleast you seem to think that it is, from your last comment), but atleast it's heading in the right direction.

Personally, I think it's fine, and yeah there has been some upset going on about it, but so what? Change doesn't happen instantaneously, and it doesn't happen spontaneously, smoothly, or in the dark. This is an important issue. If things get a little choppy at times, that just means that they're important things, that people care about.

And if they're that important, then they should be  reviewed and discussed, out in the open, so that people have the opportunity to examine their attitudes, and possibly change them.

If they're hidden, or ignored, that's not likely to happen.

Honestly, this isn't really much more controversial than the Tunneling Poll thread. Less, probably.
For they would be your masters.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2009, 10:52:45 am »

It'll be replaced by a wiki system when the wiki system is up.  I'm not going to do any more work on the demo until we have a real discussion about the format.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2009, 11:19:32 am »

What options stand out in your mind for the wiki, Granite? (pls link if you've detailed them somewhere, or create a dedicated thread if you'd like to have the discussion but don't want to derail this one)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2009, 12:13:26 pm »

It's linked on the first post in the stickied thread.  (Since the mod went out of his way to lock previous discussions and consolodate to that one, it's probably where these discussions should move.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2009, 12:23:12 am »

Don't read too much despair into the wording of that post folks. Now that I'm not posting on medicine that I can't drive under, you're going to see a sudden shift in my personality, that may take some adjusting to.

I'm going to apologize for a lot of things, and wax morose about the human condition, any time humanity gives me an excuse (which will be often). I'm sorry if this irritates you.

It's not the drama and controversy that bothers me, it's that sparking this storm of [Forum] threads looks like a poor move in retrospect. I feel whatever good comes out of this may not outweigh the negative consequences.

Now that it's done, there's no undoing it. We simply have to do our part to make the best of what we've done in the past.

I should remind everyone, including myself, that the purpose of this thread is/was to collect links and summaries pertaining to the most common redundant threads on this forum. Indeed, the idea is to build a tool, not discuss whether it should exist. When/if Granite26 get's his suggestions wiki functioning, even that function will effectively be complete, and the natural process of falling into the archives can and should occur.

Discussions over whether this thing should be ported to a wiki, and how, and indeed, whether it should exist at all,  belong elsewhere. Most of those go in the sticky thread, which Toady created for just that purpose.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]