Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: [Index] - Frequently Posted Suggestions  (Read 6798 times)

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
[Index] - Frequently Posted Suggestions
« on: February 16, 2009, 06:38:29 am »

I'm attempting to make an index of the threads that are most frequently duplicated.

The ideas in question aren't bad, we just already have dozens of threads for discussing them, and your insight would be much more effective contributing to an existing thread.

It's possible that what you really need is Eternal Suggestion Voting. Vote for the ideas you want to see implemented soonest.

The Arcs and the Bloat, Req, Core and Powergoal numbers refer to entries in Toady's Dev Notes, which you should probably skim over anyway.

Most of these topics have a pretty rich history. You can take a crash course on the current state of discourse using these: handy, links

There are no spoilers in the spoiler tags, just lists of links and sub-topics.
================

==Systemic Changes

Multi-player - 2, 3. There will be no multiplayer, at least until the single player game is actually finished.

Global History Progression - (Retire Fortress, Advance History/World Gen)

Multithreading - Full support for multi-core processors and hyper threading would give many players a big boost in speed, but there are a lot of problems with implementing it.

Graphics Improvements - Everything from rendered polygons to isometric graphic sets. If you aren't aware, there are alternate tile sets and graphic sets, here.
Related to the Presentation Arc.

more underground terrain types

Open Sourcing Dwarf Fortress - DF will become Open Source when you pry the rights from Toady's cold dead hands, if then. Leave the man's baby alone.

==Trade and Economics

More Imports - (sand, water, rough gems and admantium)

==War and combat

Equipment control - (Sparring Weapons, Armor Upgrades)

Training Dummies

AI Changes

Siege Improvements -( Siege Camps, and Tunnelers)
Related to, pretty much, the entire Army Arc.

New Ranged Weapons - (See Also: Gunpowder & Explosives)

==Health Care

Child Care - ( Day Care, Orphan care and education)

Medicine -(less death from minor wounds, fewer carreer ending injuries, field dressing wounds, surgery, hygiene).  Reqs138, 203, 345 and 467, Bloats 99 and 127, and powergoal 29.

Wheel Chairs

==Around the Fortress

Cloth Constructions - Includes tents, lean-tos, awnings, tapestries, and curtains.

More complicated mining
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mine Cars -

Improved hauling - Stone management, traffic control, dumping procedures, The Burrows, etc. Transportation and Automation Arcs, list these.

More Fluid Types and Flows -(fountains of beer, rivers of blood, pools of molten steel.)

More Fire - and proper fire control/prevention. Related to Core14, Core55, Req96 and PowerGoal150.

More Door Types - ( Secret Doors, Clearance Based Doors)

Tighter Engraving Control - 2, 3, 4, 5. Bloat 260 covers this.

==Magic

==Science and Technology

Gunpower  & Chemestry- (explosives, flamethrowers, arquebus, musket, Flame Cannon)

Machinery & Industry -1, 2, 3, 4

==

========================================
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 08:54:12 pm by Felblood »
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Index] - Suggestions not to Make
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 11:34:25 am »

As a modifier, I would be very careful  to restrict this list to common suggestions only.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 12:16:23 pm »

How about titling this "Frequently Made Suggestions".

Here's several that I see frequently.  I don't know which threads are the best to link to, so feel free to link them at top to wherever.

• "Less lethal sparring"
  • "Managing stone" (perhaps that's covered under improved dumping/hauling)
  • "Open source the game" (a general FAQ, but it wanders into suggestion threads.)
  • Various interface improvements (normalizing the various menus, multi windows, isometric/3d graphics)

As for those who are exasperated at the repetition, I respectfully suggest taking the occasional break.  All communities have repetitive themes.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 01:09:21 pm by sproingie »
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 07:05:31 pm »

Great work. Hopefully it'll be helpful.

Sproingie has a good suggestion for a working title.

I'd also humbly suggest that links to some of the bigger magic arc threads might be appropriate?

Just because so many things tend to reference things that might better belong in the magic arc.

Also that steam power be added, and that clockwork be added to machinery/golems.
For they would be your masters.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 08:18:02 pm »

Dual/triple/multi threading. That gets suggested once every week or two, and it's not likely to happen anyway, at least not for a long time.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 12:56:04 am »

Dual/triple/multi threading. That gets suggested once every week or two, and it's not likely to happen anyway, at least not for a long time.

QFT.  Another one got started within the last two days too.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 02:01:35 am »

I knew I had just seen one that wasn't on here. Multi-threading; I gotta put that in.

I was originally going to use the title, "Common Suggestions not to Make" but it doesn't read quite as clearly, so I edited it down. I can go back to that if you guys think it's a good idea.

I'll a a note to dumping/hauling about stone management, and one about steam and clockwork to machinery.

Entries for less lethal sparring/medicine should be added as well as Open source and graphics changes.

I'm not sure a blanket statement about interface tweaks is something we want to make. We're just suggesters making suggestions to suggesters, and we wouldn't want to stifle any actual contributions. Can you be more specific about what people should be warned away from?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 02:13:43 am by Felblood »
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 11:28:54 am »

Electricity and Radioactivity come up quite frequently.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 12:38:39 pm »

For interface, I'd go with 'API's' and 'More GUI' in general.  Specific improvements, are ok (still search first), but 'the interface needs improvement' or 'fix the graphics' aren't anything new

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 12:56:37 pm »

I suggest that if you choose to include a topic in the list, you provide numerous links to existing topics to a) show that the topic has in fact been thoroughly explored and b) allow readers to easily see what's already been said.  Links to a single topic don't really accomplish that.  I'll post some links for gunpowder/guns/explosives/pyrotechnics later to get things started.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 02:24:30 pm »

How 'bout improved sieges/siegers tunneling?

Edit:  And multiplayer?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 02:53:39 pm »

A few more things I see show up pretty often:

Allowing constructed walls to be engraved.
Directed Engraving (related to the room, chosen by the player, etc)
Tapestries/rugs/etc.
Museum-like stands for artifacts/valuable craft items

Not sure all of those are often enough to warrant being on this list, but I figured I'd mention them.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 02:55:41 pm »

In the areas of magic: Rune magic, Geomancy, Nature Magic, and Gem magic

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 03:57:10 pm »

The thing about magic is, if someone has an actually original idea, I'm just dying to hear it. So I'm trying to pick out the specific suggestions about magic, that get repeated frequently.

The trouble is, I haven't yet read all the magic ideas that we have. How would I know that an idea is original? I've got a lot of reading left to do.

More nature mojo for elves and shamans, and rune magic need to go on the list.

I'm not sure what you mean about geomancy (link?) and the only crystal magic idea I can remember was the one I put in the medicine/surgery thread.
The ambition of this project is larger than my ability alone; I'm counting on other suggesters to help make this thing happen.

An [Index] of magic threads would make this a lot easier. I'm tempted to just create one, but I'm leery of doing so without more experience. I'm the kind of guy who needs to read a magic index, not write one. If nobody picks it up in the next couple of days, I'm going to launch one, but it would take a long time for it to grow into something useful under my care, since I don't know which threads should be considered relevant, and would have to solicit links. So, I'd much rather see it in more capable hands.

Right now, each topic has only one link, but if you feel the need for a particular link being added or removed, feel free to say so. Many of the current links don't go to very useful threads, and other topics are too diverse and scattered to link fully. I strongly encourage anyone to submit links to this thread, or better yet, create an index of one of the larger topics, so I can link to that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 04:45:47 pm »

The thing about magic is, if someone has an actually original idea, I'm just dying to hear it. So I'm trying to pick out the specific suggestions about magic, that get repeated frequently

Exactly I don't mean Magic in general.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5