Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: [Index] - Frequently Posted Suggestions  (Read 6795 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Index] - Suggestions not to Make
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2009, 10:55:01 am »

Again from the first page, and double relevant because a lot of people have strong opinions about it :  Choosing what gets engraved:

1 From two weeks ago

There's 15 pages of engraving suggestions, these are just the ones on the first two pages that were obviously about it.

(Also, Statues as Engravings, Paper(Books), and Tapestries come up a lot)

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2009, 04:41:31 pm »

If a particular topic causes frequent flame wars, it's going to be on here anyway.

Ooh. Looks like I've got some work cut out for me.

Has anyone got a thread about tapestries or cloth constructions that they feel is particularly complete or compelling?

Should we limit the number of links per topic? The most recent discussion and any particularly important discussions should make it in, but there is a character limit on post length. This thing can only grow so large.

Can someone look up the pertinent voting entries for these? The layout on that thing hurts my eyes, after a few minutes, or I'd do it myself.

I'll try to add references to the dev notes where appropriate.

Thank you, everyone!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 04:49:13 pm by Felblood »
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 04:55:20 pm by Footkerchief »

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2009, 06:40:22 pm »

I think I got all the suggestions in there. If yours got lost in the shuffle, feel free to PM me, with a slap in the face with a dead fish.

I'm absolutely certain that there are dozens more dev note entries that I failed to put in here. Feel free to post or PM those.

I added a link to the index index, but I'm not sure if it should be more prominent. The section on useful information for newbies does seem pertinent, but I don't want to seem like I'm just plugging my work. Perhaps, an index of resources for newbies should be a separate thread, and all three should link to each other?

I don't know.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2009, 06:55:26 pm »

You're doing good work, by the way.

As long as it's pertinent, I don't see any problem in linking to your own work. Modesty isn't really an issue, and useability certainly trumps it.
For they would be your masters.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2009, 07:17:29 pm »

Any chance we could get this thread stickied?
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2009, 08:57:38 pm »

Very, very small. Tiny. Infinitesimal, even.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2009, 09:42:24 pm »

* Training dummies
* Less lethal sparring
* Training weapons
You are a pirate!

If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2009, 09:03:43 am »

Very, very small. Tiny. Infinitesimal, even.

Then we'll just have to keep bumping it with !!kittens!!.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2009, 09:32:05 am »

Look, if they can't be bothered to read the boxed instructions in the middle of the screen, or the other threads on the first screen, or even the list of what the dev is working on RIGHT NOW, this thread is really just masterbation.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2009, 10:10:39 am »

Look, if they can't be bothered to read the boxed instructions in the middle of the screen, or the other threads on the first screen, or even the list of what the dev is working on RIGHT NOW, this thread is really just masterbation.

Well yes, but it could at least be concise masturbation.  The OP (post, not poster) is a little unnecessarily wordy and visually confusing, and some of the links are just scattered all over the hplace.  A straightforward listing of topics and threads with emphasis on clarity and conciseness, and minimal editorializing and bright colors, would be more readable, informative and approachable.

To stave off the "why don't you do it yourself then" comments -- I would have, and volunteered to in the thread that led to this one, but I was beaten to it and there's really only room for one of these threads.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2009, 10:28:09 am »

I will admit that the way you laid out your gunpowder section (wrap a spoiler around the links) is beautiful

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2009, 10:48:45 am »

Hello!

A good job you are doing on this thread. You have my full moral support.

As for the stickying, I suggest you (Felblood) send a request via PM to that extent to Toady One. I wouldn't be surprised if he complied with that request.

Deathworks

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2009, 12:48:09 pm »

Exactly my opinion, which is why I keep raising the necessity of forcing structure on the suggestion forum through means such as mandatory thread tagging, automated search or subfora.
You are a pirate!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2009, 04:18:32 pm »

Actually, people are more likely to see this thread than the other notices to check what suggestions have been made because it is in the midst of all the suggestions these people will be likely to look at.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5