Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: A non-end lose condition  (Read 4915 times)

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A non-end lose condition
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2009, 04:38:11 am »

Also, it would be nice if you could pre-set win conditions when you embark for those persons who enjoy the "winning" aspect of games.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2009, 01:02:47 am »

V casts Evards Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion on the topic!
The topic is grappled in inappropriate ways!

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2009, 03:40:50 am »

If I'm making forts just to populate the world with ruins, I set a goal for myself when I start out.

"Get to the baron phase" or "survive for eight years" or whatever. When I reach that goal, I abandon, and start a new fort.

Beyond that, I don't see much point in a victory condition. There's no story reward for doing it, your game just ends arbitrarily.

Part of the allure of DF is that the world keeps on rolling even if your fortress fails, or your adventurer dies. You can lose battles, but there's always another war to fight. Eventually, no matter how many fights we win, we all die in the end. It's a potent portrayal of mortality, with no happily ever after.

Adding more milestones for players to attain would help mix some victories in with all those lost battles.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.
Pages: 1 2 [3]