Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A non-end lose condition  (Read 4916 times)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
A non-end lose condition
« on: February 08, 2009, 07:07:53 pm »

The option to abandon your fortress to an NPC. So it becomes a standard dwarven fortress, like all NPC filled and all. And you can visit it it in adventure mode, and everything won't have self destructed.  Only available after a certain population.

I am very sorry if I missed a topic that suggested this already, the search function isn't all that great. I did search.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: A non-end lose condition
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 07:10:03 pm »

Been suggested a million times! Why didn't you search! SEARCHSEARCHBLAGLAGHAGAGAGAGGGG!

*Vein pop*

Nah, no problem.

But yes, it has been suggested and we all support it. Of course, then you will have to deal with how reclaims will work.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 07:10:35 pm »

It's actually on the develpment list, I believe.  Remember to check that as well when making a suggestion; ctrl + f is very helpful there.  I never actively checked for this myself, but people talk as though it has already planned.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 07:32:25 pm »

I thought that if you got the king and became a mountainhome then you could abandon without the place going to waste
Signature goes here.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 11:51:49 pm »

Nope.  The problem is, fortresses can be complicated.  Your dwarves aren't going to know how to operate levers or things like that, or deal with other things that come up.  It could be abstracted out by having the fortress magically survive, of course, but it's not so easy to just take a complicated fortress and crunch it down to the abstract numbers.

Of course, I'm sure it'll be done eventually, just because it's such a core idea to the way the game is set up.  But it's not something that can be done easily.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 01:25:32 am »

Shouldn't the title be "non-lose end condition"?

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 01:29:31 am »

Your dwarves aren't going to know how to operate levers or things like that
Which is why we should be able to tell them how to operate levers. Designate them as a gate control or whatever and have the dwarves use them logically. Probably a pipe-dream on my part, though.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 02:49:03 am »

Just putting the fort into a "stasis" and abstracting away all the changes that would be expected to happen would be a good start.  The fort then becomes a stable community, which, as stable communities do, doesn't change very much as the years roll by.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 02:05:08 pm »

A lot of the abstraction is really nontrivial.  And anyway, please consider that the existing NPC towns don't even DO anything yet.  They don't have workshops even!

A lot of yearly tasks that players do would be pretty hard to automate...and while you can easily say "just don't make the dwarves starve" that's kind of a copout.  And what happens if they run out of crafts to trade for food, how do they know where to mine?  Likewise if more immigrants come, where do the bedrooms go?

Lever issues ARE the worst ones though. 
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 06:56:30 pm »

A lot of yearly tasks that players do would be pretty hard to automate...and while you can easily say "just don't make the dwarves starve" that's kind of a copout. 
He said it would be a start.  We kind of have to wait until NPC towns start doing stuff before player made forts handed to the NPC can start acting on their own.

And I really want to be able to have my forts end without losing before towns get AI.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 09:28:19 pm »

Umm... I meant survive the same way the towns and such "survive" now. Like, totally abstracted and magical. It wouldn't have to be fancy.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 09:44:02 pm »

Umm... I meant survive the same way the towns and such "survive" now. Like, totally abstracted and magical. It wouldn't have to be fancy.
Yeah, that's what most of us are saying.  Some people seem to think that it should jump to fully automated the moment Toady implements it, though.
Just so I remember

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 11:44:27 pm »

A "retire fortress" option sounds quite sound. However, it should only be available after a certain point; economy, etc.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 03:42:39 pm »

A-hem.

Shouldn't the title be "non-lose end condition"?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 03:47:07 pm »

nah, can't use that, that thread titles been used already for some completely different thread
Pages: [1] 2 3