Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Internal Security  (Read 1689 times)

Re: Internal Security
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 09:01:56 pm »

I don't think any of the suggestions for using different weapons would work out all that well - yeah, they'd do less damage, but when a dwarf hits legendary he can and will kill you with a pair of rotting pig tail socks.

The best solution to make arrests less slaughtery is to add in Wrestling moves that subdue someone without causing damage and allow the guy with the lock to drag the other guy with him.
ow did this get here

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 10:39:04 pm »

Also, perhaps more importantly, AI that can actually SUBMIT and give in as opposed to fighting to the last breath over having hot soup spilled on them.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 10:51:23 pm »

The best solution to make arrests less slaughtery is to add in Wrestling moves that subdue someone without causing damage and allow the guy with the lock to drag the other guy with him.

Let guards put 'em in a chokehold til they pass out. Then drag 'em to the chains. As a bonus, it wouldn't need the addition of new moves/holds.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2008, 01:04:46 am »

3. Adjusting tantrums and berserk rages so that merely tantrumming only causes dwarves to break stuff rather than attack other dwarves or animals. Ideally the death of a berserk dwarf should also generate a somewhat smaller unhappy thought than someone dying in a cave-in or goblin ambush.
I disagree with this.  Think about how it works in reality -- which gets people angrier, someone dying in a tragic accident, or someone going berserk and getting killed by police?

People get angrier when they have other people they can clearly blame for their loss, whether or not it's entirely justified.  That's just the way it is.  The friends and loved ones of the dead dwarf will question whether the guards had to use as much force as they did, whether their loved one could have survived if the guards had dealt with the situation differently, and so forth.  A dwarf killed in a hunting accident is just an accident; a dwarf killed by the guards can poison the whole fortress with doubts and recriminations.

The friends of the dwarf who died are rarely going to say "Oh, he was crazy in the end, so he deserved to die!"  They didn't know him when he was crazy; they knew him as a friend.

(In fact, that should probably be tracked by relationships, if it isn't already -- regardless of the circumstances, dwarves should always be colder towards another dwarf who has killed one of their friends, and should of course feel more guilty and sorrowful if they end up killing one of their friends themselves.)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 01:07:02 am by Aquillion »
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Manchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2008, 07:04:16 am »

what is that old vulcan move? the vulcan death grip? give 'em that without the fatal part...
There are two types of Christians:
Those that believe in God,

And those that suffer from retardation.

Dakira

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 10:21:43 pm »

I am all for making the fortress guard more useful, Especially with internal affairs and tantrums. I lost 95% of a fortresses population once, and 25% of them were fortress guards... some even broke their friends out of jail to continue rioting. But I digress...

Pro making tantrums less horrible in that one death of a child can make nearly your entire fortress kill each other and/or commit suicide.
Pro making the guard useful.
There's no such thing as useless science. Now we need to weaponize this.
Everyone should:
play checkers.
fight clowns with water.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2008, 10:37:24 pm »

I have no problems with how dwarves act during a tantrum... in fact I am often disapointed that my dwarves usually tantrum peacefully instead of tearing up my fortress. A Tantrum that infects everyone in a fortress doesn't make sense in most instances and probably should be replaced with rebellions with actual problems such as siege pressure, poor living conditions, or a Noble who is being snottier then usual.

Look, I don't care about my dwarves as much as some people so I don't take unavoidable dwarven death (even as much as 50% of my fortress) as harshly as others. in fact I pine for it, I want the day where half my fortress of dwarves die from an ambush, flood, earthquake, flood, or something... I get them all back anyhow, and until we can skip time (which I hope we will get at some point) having a fortress repopulate itself simply takes much too long unless you cheat/mod your pants off.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2008, 11:16:58 pm »

Also, I like the idea of some tantruming dwarfs only damaging property and not people, with the opposite also possible. I guess I think this should be based on personality instead of severity, but perhaps we could have both. After all, most humans would probably start throwing stuff long before they begin hurting other people - but then again, maybe dwarfs are different. :)

Maybe some would - even though not intending on hurting people, shove them out of the way (not with their full strength, but still with a possibility of causing injury) rather than lying down or re-pathing when their path is blocked.
Pages: 1 [2]