Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Defences to kill every last goblin?  (Read 3297 times)

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Defences to kill every last goblin?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 10:00:41 am »

Building destroyers would cause trouble, though...

Build a raisable bridge over a one-tile channel.

Code: [Select]
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
B...............^^^^^B
B...............^^^^^B Rest of fort is this way
BH..............^^^^^B
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 10:12:17 am »

By utilizing the monsters' lust for cat meat, we recommend YOU, to make a maze of death, spanning, ungodly amounts of crisscrosses and pressure plates to baffle your foes, in the inevitable demise of their kind.

I have the godliest plan!

Also, you can use this plan to:
  • A: Lure them into the Arena Pit
  • B: Lure them into Cage Traps for later use
  • C: Let the dogs on them
  • D: Have live Archery Targets
  • E: Siege Weapon Fodder ( You know the Siege Weapons want to play also )
  • F: Test your experiments on them ( Water Cannons, Weapon Trap of 10 Scourges... )
  • OTHER: THINK, WHAT DO YOU WANT
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 10:21:23 am by Foa »

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 12:21:51 pm »

I wonder, since dwarves can't use workshops that are made of forbidden materials, could you disable a trap by simply forbidding the mechanism inside of it? If so, then you could just disable the first rows of traps, then enable them as the goblins are retreating.
This is all theory, of course. 
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 12:29:49 pm »

I generally make a perimeter around a reasonably sized outdoor are far from the map edge so that drawbridges have time to raise and I have time to organize my defenses.

Alternatively, you can build your outer walls out of drawbridges that are activated through some sort of nigh unpredictable, water-driven pressure plate system, threby making your walls go up and down on a constant and seemingly random basis, and forcing gobbos to constantly reconsider their path to enter your fort.  For added comedy, make your perimeter several layers deep and watch as the gobs get lost in the ever-changing atomsmasher maze.

And if you feel overly sadistic, make each drawbridge at least two tiles deep so that they uncover a channel beneath when they raise.  Fill every tile of the channelled area with a full array of 10 upright spikes or weapons.  Leave some access tunnels to the spike strips so that your dwarves can either finish off the hurt and fallen goblins and/or retrieve the loot.

Absolutely genious >:D
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Skooma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 01:04:16 pm »

I usually remove all the hillsides leading my fortress and wall it off and then spam cage traps.

I learned my lesson after a Goblin ambush killed a few dwarves. Snatchers are becoming nuisance as well.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2008, 03:13:43 pm »

I wonder, since dwarves can't use workshops that are made of forbidden materials, could you disable a trap by simply forbidding the mechanism inside of it? If so, then you could just disable the first rows of traps, then enable them as the goblins are retreating.
This is all theory, of course. 
'fraid not.  I mass-forbid my traps during a battle to keep my mechanics from running into the line of fire to clean/reload them, and they still work just fine.

My "method #2" I mentioned above (and the other ideas along the same general lines later in the thread) are about the only way I can think of to turn traps "off" as the goblins approach, and then back "on" as they retreat.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2008, 06:01:20 pm »

I usually remove all the hillsides leading my fortress and wall it off and then spam cage traps.

I learned my lesson after a Goblin ambush killed a few dwarves. Snatchers are becoming nuisance as well.
Animals as Baits?

It lures them into any trap, it is like the value of a replaceable animal is than that of a dwarf.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2008, 09:28:17 am »

Have got the basics of my entrance sorted out...now they just need some military dwarves as a garrison and something to test it out on besides the occasional kobold thief. Three years and not a peep from the goblins except a lone snatcher that sadly managed to get away :'(

The initial entrance corridor has absolutely nothing except for my fortified bunkers. The goblins go right along that, down a flight of stairs then double back...right over a line of cage traps and weapon traps, then into a bottleneck (which has a camel guarding it from thieves, and further fortifications behind it). Goblins that miraculously make it past the traps will undoubtedly kill the camel but then they have to funnel in one by one through the bottleneck and travel a fair wee distance under crossbow fire to get anywhere that they may cause any sort of threat (I may make a standing melee militia as well, who can stand guard behind the corners where the goblins would be able to reach safety from the crossbows). When the goblins retreat, they've got to go back through the long corridor, whereas the barracks is located directly below both bunkers and the dwarves are just a few tiles away from continuing the massacre on the level above. Lever for the bridges in front of my bunkers is in the main meeting hall, where there's usually an idle dwarf around to pull it quickly :) Not that I have a shortage of iron (got a couple hundred bars with all the hematite I've found at my location...I'm already making all my permanent workshops out of iron just for the hell of it :D), but goblin blood must flow through my fortress. Armok demands it and so do I.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Booken the Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 02:15:29 am »

Put guard towers near your entrance. :)

First floor walled
Second Floor with Fortification
Third Floor would be roof.
The entrance would be a stairway inside the wall from the fortress, possibly near the barracks.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 02:20:04 am by Booken the Blue »
Creature Mod:Wyrms!
You forgot a detail: Dorfs get webbed in GCS webs and trigger traps. Right now we have some 12 caged dwarves, including you.

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 02:25:19 am »

Bridge Walls.  They are your answer.  Place them everywhere, and I do mean everywhere.  by just a few pulls of a level you can partition off sections of you map and fortress, trapping you new goblin playmates and then funneling them into prepared trap rooms, or arenas for you military.

Bridges are the answer to all your problems.  Bridge and levers.
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Archaeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Predator Angrinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008, 08:52:37 am »

Honestly the best mechanism I could think of would be to create an absolutely massive, semi-winding entrance corridor.  3 wide.

Have 1-2 safe rooms in the middle.

When the goblins arrive, send everyone in-doors.  the goblins march in the tunnel, and that's when you pull the lever and unleash the gigantic spike trap.

Which means no hunting, or farming.

Obviously there are restrictions, and a mountain fort would seem to work the best.
Pages: 1 [2]