Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Doctor Horrible (First post is safe but otherwise beware of SPOILERS)  (Read 8809 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Doctor Horrible
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2008, 02:18:25 pm »

My favorite version of Sweeney Todd has NPH playing Tobias.  His accent is god awful, but his singing voice is beeeeautiful.  You can watch it on YouTube actually: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR1z0yW_ELc&feature=PlayList&p=014A71FBEBCF0BAC&index=0&playnext=1

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2008, 03:38:19 pm »

and that whole thing about getting into the evil league of evil would have been totally meaningless.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In other news, I loved this show. It is so different from other series and most things on TV. Especially the characters that are non-stereotypic by being stereotypic is something I really much enjoyed. Also the show had the best joke I have ever heard in the "a-joke-so-bad-it's-great"-category. You all should know what it is, but if you're not sure, click below.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

P.S. Anyone else felt like watching Sweeney Todd again after seeing this?

Please read the entirety of a post before responding to it.  I was responding gto the post I quoted above my response wherein it is suggested that the entire thing was just a metaphor and the only part that was real was the cut to Billy in front of his computer at the end saying "a thing".
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 03:49:41 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2008, 04:57:36 pm »

they have limited Dr. H to the US now. I'm going to have to use poor youtubings (half of which are screen copies. why?! this wasn't even on TV!) for my song fix.  :'(
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2008, 06:38:56 pm »

What are you talking about?  Just click the link in the first post and click the watch it now link.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2008, 06:48:29 pm »

Hulu restricts its videos to people accessing the site from the US.  Anyone living outside the US can't watch the videos (it traces your IP or something like that to determine where you are).

Dr. Horrible was the first video on the site to allow access from outside the country, but apparently they have restricted it again.  I wonder why they would do that?  It really seems terribly unfair.

I know there used to be some proxy sites that would play Hulu streams without regard for your location - are there any still around?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2008, 07:32:45 pm »

Oo, that sucks... and is dumb.  How dumb?  Very dumb.  I wonder why they would do something so dumb.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2008, 08:10:07 pm »

I think it has something to do with licensing issues.  Americans do so love their copyrights.

Does openhulu.com still work?  I'm in the US at the moment so I can't check.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2008, 09:32:13 am »

Wow, talk about an overactive imagination...  I mean the guy who wrote this, not Billy.  There are a few things that might make someone think this, but there are considerably more that indicate that it's simply meant to be real.  Two off the top of my head are that if this was all a metaphor then there was no point at which it showed the reality of things.  Secondly, if he imagined Dr. Horrible as an alter ego, then he would have been considerably more badass, and that whole thing about getting into the evil league of evil would have been totally meaningless.
Please read the entirety of a post before responding to it.  I was responding gto the post I quoted above my response wherein it is suggested that the entire thing was just a metaphor and the only part that was real was the cut to Billy in front of his computer at the end saying "a thing".
Of course I did read it completely, but I seem to have misunderstood it and I'm still not quite sure what you meant with the word 'meaningless' in this context. Did you mean that it wouldn't make sense that in his imagination Dr.Horrible wouldn't already be a part of the league? or that it would have been pointless story-wise? or that it would have been meaningless because it all just happened in his mind and becoming a part of the league wouldn't change anything?

If you explain me this, I can edit my last message so that it makes sense to you as well.

About the theory:
I agree that the writer had quite an overactive imagination, but pretty much everything can be interpreted to being a dream/coma/imagination with enough twisting and bending. For example the "not-already-part-of-the-league"-thing (this works for the "being-more-badass"-thing too) could be explained by Billy not thinking that highly of himself and being insane enough to think that the imaginary world is real (so that he doesn't understand that he could do whatever he wants in it.)

Also, a possible counter-argument for the "everything-in-mind-no-change"-thing is that getting accepted to the league symbolizes the overcoming of a mental disease (alternatively it symbolizes the point when Billy turns completely insane.) or something.

It's crazy what kind of analyzing is taught to people and I too have got my fair share of it. Although I have to admit, it's fun.  ...but also quite worthless.

P.S. Making Dr.Horrible US-exclusive is majorly stupid, especially because just today I told a friend of mine that she should see it.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 09:42:39 am by LASD »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2008, 10:22:08 am »

about none-leagueness: it's more than just low self esteem. how many people dream of a quiet place where tey feel no thirst, hunger, anything else and everything is just peachy? People dream of adventure! And getting into a league-of-something-or-other is one of them.
Doctors reality has many inconsistencies, like say the fact that he is a "machinist" supervillain (i.e. does not have superpowers of his own), yet he sonehow survives a car colliding with his head. Bad horse is probably there for commedy, but also starnge that he is an actual horse. The league, it seems, is all in the city (LA?), yet their new memeber Dr. Horrbile, wanted to give penny a whole continent right away (and generally he expects to rule the world).
As for the lab argument, Doctor is probbaly a geek of some sort, as such he might have actual (cheap) lab equipment in his appartment.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2008, 10:41:53 am »

I just think that all sounds needlessly complicated.  I think the story works quite well without any extended metaphors or hallucinations.  Yes, of course there are inconsistencies, but nothing that your average suspension of disbelief wouldn't cover without any problems.  Remember, this movie was written by Joss Whedon, the same guy who wrote Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Titan A.E.  I don't think being realistic is his goal.  I also don't think he's the type to write a movie that has to be analyzed by a literary theorist to understand it.

Remember also that the movie, though it has a tragic ending, is primarily a comedy.  Unrealistic things are to be expected in order to make jokes work, like Bad Horse's appearance at the end of the movie and Dr. Horrible being hit in the head by a car.

By the way, I think this thread ought to have a spoiler warning on it.  It's pretty tough to talk about this movie without cutting the entirety of every post with a spoiler tag, so maybe people should be warned right at the start?  I know I'd have been upset if the ending had been ruined for me before I watched it!

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2008, 03:58:58 pm »

Wow, talk about an overactive imagination...  I mean the guy who wrote this, not Billy.  There are a few things that might make someone think this, but there are considerably more that indicate that it's simply meant to be real.  Two off the top of my head are that if this was all a metaphor then there was no point at which it showed the reality of things.  Secondly, if he imagined Dr. Horrible as an alter ego, then he would have been considerably more badass, and that whole thing about getting into the evil league of evil would have been totally meaningless.
Of course I did read it completely, but I seem to have misunderstood it and I'm still not quite sure what you meant with the word 'meaningless' in this context. Did you mean that it wouldn't make sense that in his imagination Dr.Horrible wouldn't already be a part of the league? or that it would have been pointless story-wise? or that it would have been meaningless because it all just happened in his mind and becoming a part of the league wouldn't change anything?

If you explain me this, I can edit my last message so that it makes sense to you as well.

About the theory:
I agree that the writer had quite an overactive imagination, but pretty much everything can be interpreted to being a dream/coma/imagination with enough twisting and bending. For example the "not-already-part-of-the-league"-thing (this works for the "being-more-badass"-thing too) could be explained by Billy not thinking that highly of himself and being insane enough to think that the imaginary world is real (so that he doesn't understand that he could do whatever he wants in it.)

Also, a possible counter-argument for the "everything-in-mind-no-change"-thing is that getting accepted to the league symbolizes the overcoming of a mental disease (alternatively it symbolizes the point when Billy turns completely insane.) or something.

It's crazy what kind of analyzing is taught to people and I too have got my fair share of it. Although I have to admit, it's fun.  ...but also quite worthless.

P.S. Making Dr.Horrible US-exclusive is majorly stupid, especially because just today I told a friend of mine that she should see it.

I meant all three, the first two mostly, and the third to a lesser extent. 

I completely agree with Sappho on this though.  Joss Whedon just doesn't do that kind of stuff.  Also, the line is "Captain Hammer threw a car at my head."  Not "Captain Hammer his me in the head with a car."  I immediately assumed that the car missed.  Why else would he still be alive?

I didn't know he wrote Titan AE.  That was another movie I liked.

Question!  What did you hear at the beginning of the song he sings after using the freeze ray?  Sheeple, or sheep'll?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 07:31:07 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Doctor Horrible (First post is safe but otherwise beware of SPOILERS)
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2008, 08:27:04 pm »

I've asked myself that same question a few times, actually.  I heard it as "sheeple" at first, but then watched it with closed captions and it says "sheep will."  On the other hand, the closed captions are blatantly wrong in a few places, so I wouldn't count on them.  Watching NPH's lips while he sings doesn't seem to help - it could go either way.

I'm going to guess it's "sheep will/sheep'll," though, simply because I don't picture Joss Whedon using a word like sheeple in a film.  I also don't picture Dr. Horrible using it.  Unless there are official lyrics somewhere, however, we can't know for sure, so sing whichever one you like better I guess. :)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2008, 09:04:02 pm »

Ah the captions.  "Everyone can blaze a hero's drill!"

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2008, 09:06:54 pm »

They also write Penny's last words as "Captain Hammer would say that," rather than "Captain Hammer will save us."  And rather than singing "Way!" to finish his song after being unfrozen, which would make perfect sense, he is instead apparently singing the word "Why?" for some reason.  I hope no one is depending on that rubbish to understand the story!
Pages: 1 2 [3]