Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Multiverse Crash: Incindia  (Read 2272 times)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Re: Multiverse Crash: Incindia
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2021, 03:47:36 pm »

Ding considered the options. Alcohol and Acetone would be useless for this purpose as it could mix with water, though he did keep them as they may be useful for other things later. The cooking oil would have to do even if it was not fully transparent. Ding would spend a bit of time attempting to combine cooking oil with some other substances to see if he could get one that is harder to detect. (Lower priority task)

As getting a thin layer on the top of the water required less than a milliliter of the substance, he could add it to a glass directly using his hand while feigning an arcane hand gesture so he was not concerned about how he would sneak it in. As for the match or candle, he would be able to have the instructor confirm that the initial flame is not enchanted to establish that it merely started the fire and was not pre-enchanted.

After testing this process in private and confirming that it works, Ding would return to studying up on Alteration theory. It wasn't a matter of if he would require it, but when.

(Oh, and my attempts to mess around in Lands Adrift finally got processed by the GM. Wing is able to do alteration, but such magic is already used in Lands Adrift and it is unclear on how well such experience translates to Incindia).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 12:22:59 am by Supernerd »
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2021, 01:42:40 am »

Focus on studying Transmission, for now. If I can learn more, then I can teach my fellow students, and they can help me pass the tests.

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2021, 08:13:25 pm »

Skye is discouraged when he learns that he can't actually do magic. All this schoolwork might as well be for nothing, other than to keep him here. Still, perhaps the theoretical knowledge can still help him out when the time comes.

Skye practices lighting fires with a tinderbox hidden within his sleeve, in preparation for the assignment. He would practice horizontally moving his arm across the candle while activating the tinderbox at the same time, careful to have the tinderbox pointing towards the candle as to not burn himself. To aid in this endeavor, he would try to assemble a fixture out of whatever material is available, at the mouth of his sleeve in order to ensure the tinderbox is positioned correctly at all times. If possible he would try to have the mechanism be able to retract the tinderbox into his sleeve with a push of his wrist, should the need to hide the item arise.

Skye would use the rest of his time researching the depths of the propaganda the empire is utilizing. He would try to find out about specific lies and fabrications the empire is spreading, or at least locate possible clues that might lead him to uncovering some of the secrets the empire is hiding. Maybe if he finds out enough, he could even gather allies within the school itself. Surely not everyone here would be in support of such a tyrannical regime.
Thou art the very love with which I love thee.
Ear teeth

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2021, 08:24:45 pm »

Its called "paint". Something you rub on something to change its color is paint. I'll pick some up just in case I need to paint something later, but you don't fool me fancy wax.

I'll just use milk instead of paint. I should be able to make a tiny cup while I'm making the beaker, with a few drops of milk I should get the effect I'm after.

Finish making the glassware, acquire milk. Test plan out with test beakers.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2021, 12:44:12 pm »

Jackson (Revere)

[2][12][8-1]

Somewhat irritatingly, you cannot acquire some cooking oil.  It should be common enough, but all you find is a big jug of it, not the bottles you were expecting, and you didn't have a container handy.  I guess you'll have to use some of your dyes to practice.

Which goes fine.  With the practice runs, you're pretty confident that you can make the drop in an appropriate manner, finding a small squirt arrangement you can fit up your sleeve, and you manage to bullseye the target several consecutive times.  You think you're about as ready as you can be.

As for magicless people.. well, there are several individuals whom you do not notice casting any particular spell, but you're not sure if they're magicless or just bad at it.  It might be risky to start interrogating random students.

(There are no restrictions on players co-operating.  Trying to ask non-players might attract some suspicion)

The assignment will be next turn, and your plan seems clear.  Anything else you'd like to do in addition to that?

Spoiler: Glass/Jackson "Revere" (click to show/hide)

Ding

You pick up some of all three substances.  The acetone is in a small jug (about 1 litre) with an odd metal seal on it.. you figure out that once you open it, you're supposed to use magic to get it to bond shut again.  Better leave it shut for now.  You get a conventional jar for the oil, and the alcohol.. well, you just leave that in the rest of your bunkmate's hands.  It's popular enough someone will have some, and might as well avoid getting rumbled if you don't need it on hand now.

[6][12][4+2]

Palming the oil in is a bit tricky, as it tends to stick to your hands and you can't really find a suitable small vial or other container.  With a few practice runs you're fairly confident you can pull it off, but not absolutely certain.

Study goes well.  You get into a really fascinating bit about merging two closely-connected items that gives you some neat ideas about how it could be used as a permanent bonding tool, simply by blending one substance to another permanently.. say all copper on one side, all iron on the other, and a perfect alloy in the middle.  Such a technique isn't described here, so you'd expect that you're ahead of the game with that one.

After that section, you feel your attention flagging about alteration, and it might be best to change subjects, or to study your identification spell now.

Chemistry attempts.. well, oil doesn't mix with water, but there are many kinds of oils, and many things to mix them with.  A bit of poking around doesn't turn up any really good solutions.  Also, in the future, you might want to try this inside one a restricted area, for better materials and chemistry equipment.  The unused alteration room only has very basic equipment inside it.

The assignment will be next turn, and I have an idea of what your plan is.  Anything else you'd like to do in addition to that, or any last minute changes?

(Alteration theory cost reduced to reference the limited success of the alteration spell attempt in Lands Adrift.)

Spoiler: Supernerd/Ding (click to show/hide)

Beero Herrice

[1][3+1][3]

[9+1]

Well, class this week goes a bit less well.  You're studying, and having issues with a lot of things, and calling the teacher over for help and assistance.. but then it goes a bit further, with a few more practical demonstrations, which you are naturally unable to complete.

This doesn't immediately attract attention, but it was definately a manner of disappointment.

Meeting your fellow students goes a bit better.  People are finally starting to come out of their shells a bit.  It's just pleasantries at this point, but it's nice to see some familiar faces and hear about others.

(You may describe some character traits belonging to one person you wish to be friends with, along with one skill or ability that person has.)

Spoiler: Egan_BW/Beero Herrice (click to show/hide)

Skye

[5] It quickly becomes clear that your plan doesn't work.  Tinderboxes only make small sparks, enough to light fine kindling, if it's properly placed beforehand.  Waving it about won't light anything on fire.  Back to the drawing board.

[12] What can work is if you spark a fire onto something else, and then bring the fire, along with your clothed arm, towards the candle.  And you should be able to light the wick or the match or something before bringing it to the fire.

[11] (Phew) So, you need to sneak in and get something more volatile, that will be suitable to use like you want it to work.  You begin checking some more restricted areas, and end up swinging a quick look at some higher-level students playing about with some kinda demonstration or explody weapon thing.  You end up helping out by suggesting they use some conventional fuse.. just the kind of thing you want for yourself, to make the necessary firing delay easier than rigging up a magical timing device.  It's a matter of moments to follow them around and grab yourself a few conventional fuses, some slow and some fast.  These should do for the assignment.

The only drawback is your scrambling has only given you time for a little practice.  Still, the proper materials should help a lot, because you don't need to cobble something together at the last minute.

If it goes well, what would you like to do in addition to the assignment?

Spoiler: Meimefan88/Skye (click to show/hide)

Salem Monroe

[5+3-1 Already have a beaker, bad tools][4][2]

Well, could have went better.  You try to make a couple more beakers from melting down shards, but you don't really have the right equipment to do this with.  You can make a sort of pseudo-beaker, or a sort of beaker-like glass object.

Fortunately, you were able to grab enough beakers to do your swap last turn.  If you want to make more, it would help if you found one of the better classrooms with a proper glassblowers or furnace or something.  And hopefully it won't be a magic one.

Next up, there's no milk at the cafeteria today.

..You can get coffee, but that's slightly more obvious.  It'll have to do.

Practice goes perfectly well, and there are no issues with trying to hide a second beaker under your shirt.  None at all.

What else would you like to do other than the assignment next turn?

Spoiler: Stirk/Salem Monroe (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 09:39:37 pm by Devastator »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2021, 09:39:05 pm »

(Bumping because all turns are up now, and several additions or corrections have been made to sheets.  And typos.)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2021, 10:31:44 pm »

Ding makes one final last minute preparation: An emergency sponge, possibly in the form of a small piece of absorbant cloth to serve as a backup storage for cooking oil, which can be extracted by squeezing it. Should take barely a moment to prepare this addition.

The tactic for the test will be as previously mentioned. In the event that the cooking oil cannot be applied by hand, Ding will wait for a distraction so that he can add it in an easier but less discreet manner. Its preferable to outright fail the 'casting' than get caught cheating outright if it comes to it. When the flame goes out shortly after being lit, Ding will comment that it is "Really hard to make an enchantment stick to water". It would be suspicious if the enchantment remained in effect for too long anyway.

As an added contingency, if Ding is actually accused of adding oil to the water he will offer to drink it to prove that he didn't. One of the upsides to cooking oil is that it is kind of unhealthy to drink at worst.

For non-test plans, Ding will focus on transmission and evocation lessons again as his long term plans will necessitate at least having an understanding of how they work. Ding will also try to figure out how to create a battery for mana and what materials are needed to do so.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2021, 10:51:28 pm »

No milk? How can a student get anything done without any milk?

Perhaps instead of my shirt I could find some kind of...bag. Perhaps a bag used to carry books and other goods. But apparently my shirt works perfectly so why would I do something like that?

I'm hoping I won't make a hobby out of glass smelting. Given that I already got glass its honestly been a waste of time anyway.

So after the test I'll just hang out with my friends, under the assumption I don't get set on fire for cheating.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2021, 11:49:30 pm »

Spend a bit more time practicing - really, just once a day to make sure I don’t lose the touch - but mainly, study Metal Renovation and other metal-related Alteration magic.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2021, 07:53:21 pm »

Ding

[1+2][5+2] [8] [1+1]

Well, that didn't go right.  You were caught with the oil soaked cloth, and the rest of your spiel was pointless.. there was no legitimate reason to have an oily cloth.  At least it wasn't a whole bottle.

Fortunately, although you fumbled a bit, you were able to bullshit your way out somewhat, and explain your cheating as covering for incompetence and not inability.

The written portion goes okay, but it didn't really matter.

As for a magical battery.. you can come up with a number of ideas, based around cells, but what you really want to figure out how they work is to find one.  You know they're in use in some of the more advanced classrooms or workshops, and you know some will be outside with the war equipment or on the weapons range.  Or in the maintenance rooms or machinery spaces..  It'd be much easier to find out how it works if you had one.

Spoiler: Supernerd/Ding (click to show/hide)

Salem Monroe

[12+1][4][8+1]

Turns out there were no shirt-related issues, but mostly because you did the sickest slight of hand ever, and it gave you a second beaker to swap back with the first one when you wanted the coffee to go away.  Which was good, because as it dragged on for most of the class hour, you were worried that the teacher would put it on the shelf to time how long it lasts, upon which it would quite probably have been discovered.

The written part goes less well, but you have enough of the theory to pass it without worries.

You end up going outside the academy after the test period, for a night out with your friends, onto the academy's cityside.  It's like a university town, full of taverns and other student-related businesses and services.

What do you do while on your night out?

Spoiler: Stirk/Salem Monroe (click to show/hide)

Jackson (Revere)

[3+1][3+1] (Doah) [4+1] [4]

Well, at least you didn't set anyone on fire.  But you got caught.  Fortunately, you weren't the only one caught cheating, and you were mostly able to stammer your way out of harsher punishment.. but they make it clear that you aren't to cheat again, and you might be facing worse than expulsion if you do so.

Or.. better off not getting caught.

There really isn't much time to concentrate on anything else, and you should just count yourself lucky they only took away your dyes.

Spoiler: Glass/Jackson (Revere) (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 12:17:33 am by Devastator »
Pages: 1 2 [3]