Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The RAPTURE project  (Read 3251 times)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The RAPTURE project
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2008, 10:33:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Benitosimies:
<STRONG>I know thread necromancy is frowned upon but I would really like to see an underwater fortress.</STRONG>

I hadn't seen this, but I am currently Working on it.  I have 330 windows and 540 glass blocks.  I need about 3k total blocks and windows.  So this should take about two more game-years, and then I can drain the ocean and get to work at 2 FPS.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2008, 10:11:00 am »

We need a Rapture sucession game!

See if we can outlive the original, 13 years untill the civil war, 14 untill the ultimate downfall.

As for bioshock names:
Andrew Ryan
Jack Ryan
Frank Fontaine
Bridgette Tenenbaum
Yi Suchong
Jasmine Jolene
Bill McDonagh

The most influential people on the ocean floor. A point could be made about replacing Jack with Steinman because he was the person actualy doing the actual surgery/splicing/mutilation but i decided against it because of the latter's lack of a first name.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2008, 12:50:00 pm »

I wasn't actually planning to have a Randian fantasy, but if my project works, I'll hand you the save and you can play it out.

Benitosimies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2008, 01:02:00 pm »

You still need that peach guy. And Andrew Ryan's girlfriend. And Jose. (The present at the beginning says 'To Jose'. I don't know wtf this means.) And you need Atlas.

And security robots. (Maybe rename the royal guard SecBot1 through SecBotN, says this humble poster).

Something really needs to be done about ice. At the moment it's like some kind of Pitch Black threat where everyone dies at sunset. Feel free to substitute that film reference with one without Vin Diesel.
--Skizelo

Entity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2008, 03:54:00 pm »

I've attempted the pumping-out-the-ocean thing before. It takes a long while and large amounts of stone to get anything done, you need dozens of pump operators, the pump operators' babies keep falling into the sea and crawling around the sea bed, and I really doubt it's possible to pump out more than one z-level of ocean at a time. (However, building a reservoir beneath the ocean, tunneling up into the ocean floor, and pumping water out from the reservoir might offer a way round this, as that'd allow you to drain bits of the ocean at will - especially if you can find a conveniently-located aquifer to dump your water into, that'd save you pumping all the water back out again.)

(H'mmm, aquifer-assisted ocean drainage... a promising idea, actually.)

My tactic was to build 2 parallel lines of screw pumps extending out over the ocean, about 5 squares apart, pumping out the water from between them. This creates a walkable path through the ocean, and walls can be built in the squares which are being directly pumped out of (if you don't mind unsuspending each construct wall job about 5 or 6 times, or maybe more - tho using highly-skilled masons reduces the number of attempts needed). This gives you a stone corridor extending out into the sea. You can then build additional corridors branching off the first one, or widen your corridor by building another wall parallel to it, &c.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2008, 04:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Benitosimies:
<STRONG>You still need that peach guy. And Andrew Ryan's girlfriend. And Jose. (The present at the beginning says 'To Jose'. I don't know wtf this means.) And you need Atlas.

And security robots. (Maybe rename the royal guard SecBot1 through SecBotN, says this humble poster).</STRONG>

Peach Wilkins is only a very minor person in the grand plot. Both Jasmine Jolene and Diane McClintock don't actualy do much either. Actuay, the present says "To Jack" which is you.

If you haven't figured out why i didn't include Atlas, i won't spoil it for you either but rest assured, his name is not needed on that list.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2008, 09:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Entity:
<STRONG>dozens of pump operators</STRONG>

I have a power plant that develops 900 power consistently (usually does 1,100, but I can't rely on those 200 that are spotty).  It will of course need to be upgraded to power hundreds of pumps, but the design scales well.  It's actually a dwarf power amplifier: a lone dwarf pumps one pump that draws from the aquifer  The water the snakes around a 1-wide channel in which I suspend water wheels; then it dumps back into the aquifer.

Pumping the first level works, and I got to the edge of the "continental shelf" so to speak, using a similar setup to what you describe.  You can take out z-1 just fine.  But it doesn't scale to z-2: because of the implementation of pressure via teleporting, and the fact that the edge of the map generates water, you get a really cool wedge of 7/7 water at z that flies out of your pumps and floods everything.  I had to save-scum that try.

Linking the ocean to the aquifer wipes out the levels of ocean that are above the aquifer and aren't grounded; the grounded stuff slowly dribbles out (except near the edges where it regenerates).  Your framerate goes to hell during this, because the entire edge has to teleport its water to the aquifer.  I hadn't thought to put in a floodgate, so I had to save-scum that attempt also.  Got a couple nice bug reports out of it though.

My present concept is to link the bottom of the ocean to a tunnel, and to draw out of that tunnel up to the aquifer.  The theory is that the water would spawn at the edge of the world, teleport to the tunnel, and get drawn up instantaneously to, in the next frame, drop into the aquifer.  I'd need two entrances to the tunnel, one South and one North of where I want to build.  And, I need miners with good swimming ability so they can get out alive after opening the tunnels.  That, or untrained peasants with no friends.

Rawl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2008, 10:23:00 pm »

If you guys REALLY want to build a fort underwater the easy way then I'd imagine you could just add the amphibious token to your dwarves (look ma scuba suits!), ramp out into the ocean, and slap down your fortress. Then once everything is sealed off and all the dwarves are inside remove the tag and enjoy your underwater paradise. (no promises that this will work though)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2008, 10:25:00 pm »

Valid point, although I was planning on doing it within the unmodded physics of the base game (abusing them as the need arises, I grant -- but that's half the fun).

Rawl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2008, 10:29:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by benoit.hudson:
<STRONG>Valid point, although I was planning on doing it within the unmodded physics of the base game (abusing them as the need arises, I grant -- but that's half the fun).</STRONG>

Very good point, just tossing out suggestions. But NOTHING says satisfaction like watching your dwarves die of thirst while trying to pump an Ocean dry. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!(mydwarveshateme  :( )

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2008, 04:52:00 am »

What about this setup:
code:

Stage 1
 %%              %%
~~~~              ~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stage 2
 %%              %%
~~~~%%          %%~~~~
~~~~~~          ~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stage 3
 %%              %%
~~~~%%          %%~~~~
~~~~~~%%      %%~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~      ~~~~~~~~

From what i've seen,water pumped directly into other water will rapidly displace that water to any unoccupied squares. When connected to an aquifier this should still kill your fps but allows you to dig to a depth of x/4 with x being the narrowest side of your rectangle.

DreaDFanG

• Bay Watcher
  • Hungry
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2008, 06:45:00 am »

I got my sea-fort complete last night, completely too easy...and with no above water land remaining, but a area for migrants/seiges that I seem to have.
Started with a small peninsula(volcano by the ocean) dug down and under the water, built up then caved in my landmass and killed the hell out of my framerate. The strangest thing is dwarves fishing underwater for my food.
Smash me and I shall rise again, but not make stupid threads that get me muted.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2008, 01:35:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Asehujiko:
<STRONG>What about this setup:</STRONG>

Stage 1 works great.  Stage 2 has the problem that the water comes out of the pump, then doesn't fall: it has nowhere to go because the water that teleports to under the pumps comes from all over the ocean.  You need to figure out how to destroy that water (i.e. dump it into the aquifer), or else you get a gigantic wedge of water pouring over everything.  If you solve stage 2, then you can do stage 3 without any difficulty.

Pages: 1 2 [3]