Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The RAPTURE project  (Read 3254 times)

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The RAPTURE project
« on: November 29, 2007, 12:30:00 am »

"I am Goden Sigunlor, and I'm here to ask you a question. Is a dwarf not entitled to the sweat of his brow? 'No!' says the king in the Mountainhomes, 'It belongs to the poor.' 'No!' says the dwarf in his temple, 'It belongs to Armok.' 'No!' says the the elf in their retreat, 'It belongs to everyone.' I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose...Rapture, a fortress where the engraver would not fear the censor, where the mechanic would not be bound by petty morality, where the great would not be constrained by the small! And with the sweat of your brow, Rapture can become your fortress, as well."

What: A project to recreate the city “Rapture” from bioshock- a massive undersea city- in Dwarf Fortress.

How: Hollow out a massive chamber beneath a mountain. Use rewalling, using green class, to enclose the city. Build the city within. Then fill the outside area with water redirected from a river. The city should be mostly self-sufficient, with the majority of the resources being created inside its glass walls, with obvious exceptions (mining operations)

Where: At the base of the Radiant Points, a mountain:

It is bordered also by the Prarie of Sounding, a savannah, and the Yellow Dunes, a desert. All are temperate and all are Untamed Wilds.

Who: The usual seven dwarves. Group name: “Smallsister”. Fortress name: Shockwaters the Glories of Artifices. (“Estanir“ and “Otungarel Anil Berim” in Dwarfish, respectively.)

Why: Because.

Strike the earth!

More updates to come...

IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!
YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS!

Flok Speargrabber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The RAPTURE project
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 12:36:00 am »

edit: Whoops, misread your post.

[ November 29, 2007: Message edited by: Flok Speargrabber ]

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 12:38:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Flok Speargrabber:
<STRONG>I may have not played Bioshock, but I'M FAIRLY certain that Rapture was belowground.</STRONG>

Rapture was at the bottom of the ocean.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioshock

quote:
...in Rapture, a fictional underwater dystopian city...
IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!

Splatterpope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://-
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 01:48:00 am »

What I think he means is that Rapture wasn't a city built on land then covered in water. 'Cause that'd be like, covering yourself with a blanket to escape the bogeyman.

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 02:01:00 am »

There aren't many other ways of making an underwater glass city... building it at the bottom of the ocean would require a scary amount of pumping to be going on  :D

ZrO4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 02:04:00 am »

Dwarven diving suits anyone?

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 02:17:00 am »

Oooh, that'd be cute!

Little Daddies? :P

If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 02:46:00 am »

I played a little BioShock before the crashes got too annoying. I don't think there is a wall or dome, though. I think a lot of the construction would be bronze, concrete (stone), and some iron, with accents of copper, colored bronzes, tin, and some pewter. Wood in some places of interior construction. I knew this was going to happen, and I hope it turns out. Just remember, water will rise to it's own level, so be careful. Things like the sub ports won't work, but normal airlocks will, assuming you have a way to drain them. Oh, and the tubes will work with glass, I guess. AHH!! I just remembered one more thing; to ensure everything (lava, pits, chasm ,water), try to find a 1-tile mountain range, and settle on the whole square if you can spare the power.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 07:52:00 am »

Hey, me and my friends decided to try to make a rapture style fort. We got about as far as the name... The closest you can get to Rapture is, thanks to the almighty fortress naming system, Rapetour.... yeah...

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 11:46:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TotalPigeon:
<STRONG>There aren't many other ways of making an underwater glass city... building it at the bottom of the ocean would require a scary amount of pumping to be going on   :D</STRONG>

I'm fairly certain it's impossible to make a city *inside* and beneath a natural water feature (ocean, big lake, etc), as the second you tunnel into the water from below your game lags and when it ends any mined space connected to that hole and below the water surface will be flooded.

So no matter what, it'd be mostly surrounded by a dome of stone with water inside.

IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 12:26:00 pm »

Heh I'm also working on one of these but under a lake. Built entirely out of clear glass, pod six, the habitation module for 60 dwarves, uses around 2000 blocks on it's own.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 12:45:00 pm »

Afaik freshwater lakes freeze in winter. Atleast near cold biomes they do. You can just build the city in the ice.

Immigrants need not apply.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 01:19:00 pm »

Well, I'm a purist, and it shouldn't be in the middle of an ice cube in winter. :P

Anyways...

Year one has ended. An access shaft with a spiral ramp design has been dug underground and the first layer of Rapture is being dug out (the layer, relative to the "ground floor" of rapture, will be at z+1). A small fortress has been set up on the surface, though once Rapture is complete this will be walled off (except for maybe a small access tunnel so adventurers can visit the creepy abandoned sub-fortress).

This will take a while, I think. With two legendary miners, digging out the area is slow work.

No obvious magma is present. One of the biomes, however, has a decent amount of wood and Bituminous Coal is everywhere below z-4 on the map- the z-5 layer is practically made out of the stuff.

On a side note, can anyone see if a glass block rewall can be seen through by adventurers in Adventure mode? If you can, this will be ten times cooler.

[ November 29, 2007: Message edited by: Arkan15 ]

IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!

Erasmus Darwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 01:31:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Arkan15:
<STRONG>I'm fairly certain it's impossible to make a city *inside* and beneath a natural water feature (ocean, big lake, etc), as the second you tunnel into the water from below your game lags and when it ends any mined space connected to that hole and below the water surface will be flooded.</STRONG>

Give me a place to stand on and enough screw pumps, and I will move the ocean.

Seriously though, I think it might at least be theoretically possible to build a dyke in the ocean using enough dwarves, screw pumps, and patience.  From that point, you could build your domed city in the dried out area then let the water back in.  For extra credit, find a way to make the dyke completely collapse so that the only evidence of its existence is a line of raw stone and wood along the ocean floor.  Overall, it'd be similar to Arkan's flooded land strategy, just a lot harder and a little more satisfying.

Of course in practice, unless Toady implements the "dropping walls into water" suggestion I made in the suggestion forum, it'd almost certainly be more trouble than it's worth to try this.  Still, you can get some impressive results if you use enough screw pumps.  I'd be particularly interested in the logistics of trying to pump through multiple Z-levels of water at once.  Actually, the more I think about it, the more I want to try this just for the sake of doing it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2007, 01:37:00 pm »

One way to make a city like that:

Start near an ocean beach.

Tunnel out the entirety of the beach, and waay below the ocean.

Build your fort with entrance points in the empty space.

Rig a cave-in to blast away the ocean floor. Rig a series of staircases along the edges of the solid parts of the beach.

Drop the cave-in. The ocean will fall, and in the meantime you will destroy the overhanging parts of the beach, causing them to cavein as well. Be sure to make the designations to dig out the beach prior to blasting the floor - the fps drop will kill any such attempts once flows kick in.

The area quickly refills with seawater.

Your fort is completely submerged, albeit only a few hundred meters (at most) from the beach.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: [1] 2 3