Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Frost Race: Morecaz Thread (Prelude Turn 3/5: Revision Phase)  (Read 7556 times)

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Frost Race: Morecaz Thread (Prelude Turn 3/5: Revision Phase)
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2020, 09:15:35 am »

I mean, for the most part it's just doing something we've already done(as a revision even, and it was trivial), but on a larger scale. I suspect it's likely to be normal if it isn't even less, and the absolute highest I'd put it at would be hard.

Really, the prompt actually makes it harder than it being a revision does. Since it implies we're working on limited time.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 10:23:20 am by Failbird105 »

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2020, 12:37:53 pm »

Quote from: Sunken Bunkers
Our greatest enemies in this world, when we arrived where two-fold, the Jarnskeggi barbarians, who tried to destroy us, and the environment itself, the cold being the fiercest foe in this new world. Both of them had been bearing down on our doorstep. Luckily, the creation of our Outpost Stations has given us an idea. Instead of expending our resources to build and support new structures going upwards, we look down, and dig out the Earth, allowing the ground itself to insulate us from the cold and fend off the enemies weapons, while limiting the materials that must be spent on construction to sturdy supports that protect against cave-ins. Indeed, if this project proves to do well, we imagine it will lead to something of a trend in future Morecazite construction.

The Sunken Bunkers are similar in basic design to the Outpost Stations. A large, underground room, protected from the ice and snow by the ground above and warmed with the standard heaters used for housing, but with a pair of smaller offshoot bunkers above ground, each holding a mounted Pacerna Trumna that could fire out at approaching enemies. With small shacks on the inside of our city walls that the soldiers could enter through, they could move through the bunker, and out to the small surface-bunkers entrenched on the outside side of the walls, either to man the guns or fire out at the enemies outside personally. Additionally, the roofs on the surface-bunkers are sloped to the sides, causing the snow to pile up to the sides of the bunker before it risks piling up in front of it and blocking the guns ability to fire.

Our biggest deviation in terms of technology however, is the mechanism we made both to stop snow buildup in front of the cannons, and stop anyone foolish enough to try and approach the mini-bunkers in close range. Effectively, we have taken the boiler and tube mechanisms from our Vent Rifles, and enlarged them. With two for each mini-bunker, somebody standing inside could simply flip a switch next to the boiler, and scalding hot steam would be pumped out of the ends of the tubes, positioned just outside of the mini-bunkers window. The heat will melt snow, and will severely burn any unprotected enemy who go too close.

An 'alternative' to the Sheltered Homes(though ideally I'd want to do Sheltered Homes even if we already did this one), these are dedicated military Bunkers.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 01:34:08 pm by Failbird105 »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2020, 01:56:13 pm »

Morecaz Tower Defenses

The Morecaz Tower Defenses are slender hardened structures built to stand above the treeline and any nearby objects that could interfere with lines of sight. The towers are dotted with firing ports to allow small arms fire against targets that have approached too close for the gun up top to rain hell upon. The turret at the top is capable of 360 degrees of rotation and a significant amount of vertical traversal - especially downwards for hitting approaching ground targets. The turret contains a single Pacerna Trumna gun. The magazine itself is below ground, but an ammunition "elevator" carries rounds upwards to the gun crew. The elevator is little more than a large chain with housing for securely and safely transferring munitions upwards. In order to prevent rounds from being carried back down and potentially coming loose or causing damage the loaders up top have access to a brake lever that will halt the mechanisms and turn on a red light in the magazine so the crew down there knows the machine is intentionally stopped.

Networks of towers are interconnected by a series of tunnels. They are large enough to transport men and material through on handcars guided by a simple rail system that runs along one side of the tunnels while leaving space for a walkable path.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 01:09:55 pm by Man of Paper »

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2020, 06:49:43 pm »

I like the towers, even if they aren't necessarily what I'm interested in for this revision. I like the Steamer too, but I can't help but wonder if perhaps we should save it for a design(we've gotta get a combat vehicle prompt, right?) so that we can fit some extra features into it. Namely the ability to ride on rails at greater speeds than just crawling along with treads, but there's other possibilities too that I could think of given time.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2020, 07:16:38 pm »

Quote from: Ventbox
Pacerna Steamers: ()
Sheltered Homes: (1) Failbird
Sunken Bunkers: ()
Morecaz Tower Defences: ()
I know we've still got two turns to potentially do something like moving our civilian homes underground, but honestly? I feel like this prompt actually works rather well for it.

I wouldn't be against switching my vote to the bunkers though. Nor would I be particularly against the other options winning(though I'd prefer we wait to do Steamers as a design to do more with it)

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2020, 11:37:53 am »

Hmm, I really want to add a tunnel network to the Bunkers and/or the Towers. But I don't know if we can really fit it into the bunkers without raising their difficulty too much...

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2020, 02:04:37 pm »

Sheltered Homes: (2) Failbird, Maxim_inc
Morecaz Tower Defences: ()
I know we've still got two turns to potentially do something like moving our civilian homes underground, but honestly? I feel like this prompt actually works rather well for it.

I wouldn't be against switching my vote to the bunkers though. Nor would I be particularly against the other options winning(though I'd prefer we wait to do Steamers as a design to do more with it)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2020, 12:52:57 pm »

Sheltered Homes: (2) Failbird, Maxim_inc
Morecaz Tower Defences: (1) MoP

Not sure how hiding underground is gonna repel these dudes to be honest. I think this prompt isn't that great to do the subterranean dwelling in since it equates to "we turtle up and those dudes just run the surface now and blockade our stuff, but we win somehow"

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2020, 01:14:26 pm »

Sheltered Homes: (1) Maxim_inc
Morecaz Tower Defences: (2) MoP, Failbird
Yeah, with the tunnel network addon I'm willing to go for towers instead of shelters.

I suppose my logic was really more 'this is the best chance besides do "do whatever you want" we're likely to get', rather than 'this is the best option for this situation.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2020, 05:11:08 pm »

Morecaz Tower Defences: (3) MoP, Failbird, Doomblade
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2020, 07:48:37 pm »

Morecaz Tower Defences: (4) MoP, Failbird, Doomblade, m1895

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2020, 08:35:29 pm »

Morecaz Tower Defences: (5) MoP, Failbird, Doomblade, m1895, UristMcRiley
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]