Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is 40.24 version worth playing?  (Read 3072 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Is 40.24 version worth playing?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2015, 07:56:38 pm »

Well...I think perhaps some perspective is needed here. The game isn't finished, it isn't anywhere near finished. It's going to be pretty difficult for Toady to actually make the game if he has to ensure that every placeholder system continues to function perfectly the same way it always has. Besides, part of the siege issue is also an actual bug, one that has been fixed for the new version.

If you prefer the way the previous versions worked, they're all available to play, Nobody's 'requiring' anybody to work for their Fun. It's not like this is the way sieges are going to be forever. It's just that military stuff isn't the focus right now.
I think that some perspective is needed as well. Nobody is operating with the assumption that the game is finished, nobody is assuming that sieges will work this way forever, and as a matter of personal opinion I think Toady is a good developer and Dwarf Fortress is a good game, neither really need to be shielded from criticism.

The question is "is 40.24 worth playing" not "is Dwarf Fortress terrible" or "should we stop supporting Toady." For your fortress to face the threats that make up a good portion of the gameplay you pretty much have to make a conscious effort and that this requirement is irritating. The fact that this problem is caused by a bug does not make it less irritating, the fact that the next version will be better does not make it less irritating, the fact that the military is not the focus right now does not make it less irritating. You can play other versions, you can play other games, you can go outside and buy a 401k or whatever it is people do out there. None of those really change anything. It's totally possible to look at 40.24 on it's merit and say "yep this is worth playing" but it shouldn't be because you hold it to a lower standard.

Airgeoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2015, 10:52:00 pm »

Not really wanting to start a flame war, as it looks like it's about to happen, but I'd like to reiterate my support for shonai_dweller's post.  Not only do i agree with his perspective, but his posts were helpful and generally polite. 

Fawnek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2015, 02:59:50 am »

well yeah, its pretty fun. i had some !!FUN!! with a weretiger and 30 dwarfs, and had to restart whole fortress so i cant say i have been having encountering problems. although i do think that the next update will be 100X better, just got to wait for it now i guess... it appears it will be out anytime now
We all have an Urist in our lives.

Airgeoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2015, 08:19:16 am »

Couldn't agree more.  I'm personally very much looking forward to creating the Dwarven library of Alexandria.   Gonna put everything on papyrus scrolls for realism too.

Axetibe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2015, 11:08:19 am »

I feel very sorry that you guys understood my request as a disrespect or a taunt concerning Toady's work.

That was not at all my intention. I've been playing in 34.11 for so long that I found my games pretty repetitive, and I wanted to change that by "upgrading" to the last version.
I know it's just a beta and that DF is not a finished game, and I was not intending to look as someone who wants things to be THIS way or THAT way just because I want to.

For the little story, I've been enjoying 40.24 for now more than 2 days, and everything has gone smooth. I've played until 2 AM yesterday (I might be exagerating), and that didn't happen to me with DF for months!

Yet, no sieges for now  :P

PS: I'm really freaking excited about the next release, I just want to create a dance as an adventurer and then have people dancing this way at my tavern in fortress mode, or have a peasant reading a necromancy book... oh boy, the !!FUN!!.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2015, 12:13:58 pm »

It wasn't you.  The argument was between Broseph Stalin and some other people.

Personally, I think that several modifications to Dwarf Fortress make it more interesting, stable, bugfixed, and challenging.  And I don't consider making those changes any less fun than if they were already present in the game itself.  More annoying, admittedly, but if you can't handle "annoying", you can't handle DF.  And you only have to deal with it for another month or so, and then DF2015 SO AWESOME BOOKS AND BUGFIXES AND TAVERNS AND TEMPLES SQUEEEEEE!!!!!!~
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Airgeoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2015, 05:14:24 pm »

Yeah.  Sorry Axetibe, not directed at you.

CyberianK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2015, 12:29:09 am »

oh, there is a siege bug where no sieges happen?
that could be connected to my question here http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=153876.0 :)
so for the bug to be fixed we have to wait for the new version or is there a workaround we can use so that the bug does not happen?
Pages: 1 [2]