Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is 40.24 version worth playing?  (Read 3074 times)

Axetibe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is 40.24 version worth playing?
« on: October 29, 2015, 06:19:31 pm »

Hi guys, I've been doing very few DF those days, and I wanted to finally upgrade my game on 40.XX versions, as I stayed for all that time playing my old 34.11 LNP with the Ironhand tileset.

But the thing is that I feel really excited about Armok Vision (If you ever check this topic, let me tell you you're a god mister Armok Vision), the Modest Modpack and new graphics set.

This is why I decided I would ask here about the viability of this "new" version.

I've played it for a while, but it was boring as sieges are bugged.
But I heard people saying you could have sieges and military !!FUN!! by embarking near a Dark Fortress.

What does "near" mean? 1 tile away?
Does wealth influence anything at all now?
Should I prefer a long story or a short story for my worldgen? same thing with the number of civilisations and the size of the map.

Can this version give some fun to me, especially in combat, as I want it to be my second focus right after architecture?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 06:26:45 pm by Axetibe »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is 40.24 version worth playing?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 06:32:25 pm »

Lots of people are still getting goblins. You just have to work a bit harder to get them. There's mods which make the process easier but essentially:

First check that your world actually has plenty of goblins, embark with goblins as neighbours (preferably a long way from the rest of your civ, or any other), reach the 80 population cap (or mod to make it lower), play for 3-5 years (probably less if you lower the cap) and give large profits to trade caravans every year.

If there's still no goblins, you may have run into the pathing bug. Start a new fortress or wait a month or so for the new version with fixed bug and goblins on beakdogs (although probably plenty of other bugs for a few months).

Deinos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 07:09:05 pm »

I made a pocket sized world with 50+ dark fortresses all crammed into the northwest evilzones (looks kind of neat I think, The Mordor Zone). I hope I will get plenty of sieges.

Mike_B20

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 08:26:54 pm »

A fun game but I'm getting really tired of the crashes on save.
Might wait until they debug this version before playing more.

It's weird, the auto-saves never crash but 50% of the manual saves crash at the "cleaning game objects" stage.
Why would the coding be different for auto-save and manual saves?

Edit: Ok, I'm a year or two further into the game now and all crashes have ceased.
Maybe the crashes had something to do with constructing an outdoor floor area over my grazing pasture. Dunno.
It's a fun game and will be even more amazing when a few of the bugs are tracked down.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 09:56:33 am by Mike_B20 »

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 09:22:55 pm »

40.24 might have some disappointments, but at least fire it up and give it a try!

I gave up on 40.24 after a while because of a run of bad luck with getting no sieges. (Which might have a harder time reaching the evil regions in which I prefer to play?) There's also pathing problems where invaders, especially undead, can't find the fortress, leading to FPS death in reanimating regions. (Especially on 4x4 or 5x5 maps, which aren't even super huge.) Oh, and there are a few mostly manageable issues with the new stress psychology system, with stress thought spam from seeing refuse files and some dwarves that go insane no matter how many happy thoughts they have.

But 40.24 has TONS of interesting new features that are worth firing it up and trying it out, like trees and plant varieties, cats and dwarves stuck up in trees, goblins in trees, and dwarves falling out of trees. There's probably a lot of non-tree new things, too. The main feature (a continually evolving world) doesn't yet have a real impact on fortress mode play. There's a raft of bug fixes, including a lot of community contributions, which is great. Better job prioritization, huge changes to hauling, lots of fixes to menus, fixes to problems with constructions being suspended. If you've been playing 34.11 a lot, you might notice that you're in the habit of working around a lot of problems that don't exist anymore.

So even if you don't stick with it, at least strike the earth and die in a few new and interesting ways!

Axetibe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 03:01:32 am »

Thank you all for your answers.

For now, I've downloaded a No music version of 40.24 DF + the last version of DTherapist + the Modest Mod + the Taffer tileset + Armok Vision.

I'll set it all to work asap, but which "mods" (or just init modifications) could I use to have more goblins coming to me? (preferably not before the 3rd year)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 03:34:54 am »

Cleaning game objects crash almost never destroys your save.  It's just cleaning up ready for a new game which is why autosave doesn't.

Oh, and nobody's going to be debugging this version. The next update will be the next version.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 03:37:05 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Zealord

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT:SUBURBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 05:30:57 am »

It's weird, the auto-saves never crash but 50% of the manual saves crash at the "cleaning game objects" stage.

I've never had that problem and I've been playing/saving  early every day. Are you sure the game doesn't just freeze and you get tired of waiting for it to respond, force end it and call it a crash?
This is great.

Mike_B20

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 08:04:15 am »

I've never had that problem and I've been playing/saving  early every day. Are you sure the game doesn't just freeze and you get tired of waiting for it to respond, force end it and call it a crash?

I get regular crashes for some reason, usually when I save; but I just had a crash in game.
"Dwarf Fortress has stopped working", and the game is totally unresponsive, no matter how long I wait.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 09:10:33 am »

I get regular crashes for some reason, usually when I save; but I just had a crash in game.
"Dwarf Fortress has stopped working", and the game is totally unresponsive, no matter how long I wait.
That's most likely a newly grown tree or branch clashing with a building somewhere on your map above or below ground. Seems to be the most common form of in-game crash right now (although no-doubt there are a couple of others).

I've had it crash on save a few times, mostly at 'cleaning game objects' which doesn't seem to have any bad side effects but once in a while it's a bit earlier which means lost data. Could be a memory thing, but since enabling the Large Address Aware flag, my worldgen large worlds have been 100% crash-free.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 01:37:14 pm »

I've had crashing troubles too. When my old 31.25 fort crashes I don't lose any progress.
However 40.24 I lose everything since last successful save.  I'm using LNP on this newer version so maybe I will toggle the compressed saves option.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 03:18:26 pm »

There are all kinds of crashes, both in game, during save, and when cleaning up after the save. The tree related crashes should be repeatable, while the cleanup crashes aren't related to the game itself (probably a bug where the code tries to clean up the same object twice, as someone commented). Despite this, I've yet to have my save destroyed by a crash (although I've had two cases where a save repeatedly crashes on my reasonably modern computers, but not on a 10 year old one). To handle crashes, save often.

To get goblins, ensure there are a lot of them and embark closer to them than any other potential target (i.e. any other settlement both from your civ and others). If you want to get goblins earlier than at a pop of 80 change raw\objects\entity_default.txt PROGRESS_TRIGGER_SIEGE_POP to 1 (for 20) or 2 (for 50). Note that there is one set of parameters for each civ, so make sure you get the goblin one (or just change all of them). Check the wiki for the parameters. If you do this, you might want to change data\init\world_gen.txt as well to lower the titan/megabeast attack threshold as well.
I do these changes prior to world generation, but it's been said civ attack thresholds can be modified later, but I don't know whether that's the same file or a file containing the generated civ.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 06:40:17 pm »

It's pretty irritating that you have to go to such great lengths to give yourself a challenge. Requiring the player to deliberately order the Fun takes some of the fun out of it.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2015, 07:11:55 pm »

Well...I think perhaps some perspective is needed here. The game isn't finished, it isn't anywhere near finished. It's going to be pretty difficult for Toady to actually make the game if he has to ensure that every placeholder system continues to function perfectly the same way it always has. Besides, part of the siege issue is also an actual bug, one that has been fixed for the new version.

If you prefer the way the previous versions worked, they're all available to play, Nobody's 'requiring' anybody to work for their Fun. It's not like this is the way sieges are going to be forever. It's just that military stuff isn't the focus right now.

Airgeoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2015, 07:14:56 pm »

I second shonai_dweller's comment.
Pages: [1] 2