Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Unnamed Civilizations Growing  (Read 2393 times)

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
Re: Unnamed Civilizations Growing
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 01:20:17 pm »

The Deadly Rods is a civilization of Troglodytes
A vile fortress of darkness has arrived!

900000000000 troglodytes have appeared in the units screen.

the horror...oh the horror!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The computer has been struck down!
The player has gone Berserk!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 03:11:33 pm by mate888 »
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 06:27:04 pm »

I'm actually really interested in how this might work. Some of the foundations of it, like unnamed civilizations being sucked up into larger ones, could feasibly be done with the next major update. The only difference is that unnamed civ's don't have settlements to be sucked up.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 03:14:04 pm »

They have camps, so, if an underground frogman camp is taken over by, say dwarves, it may grow under dwarven rule until it turns into a settlement (correct me if that's impossible).
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 10:19:23 pm »

Under specific circumstances, that certain unnamed civilizations are capable of rising beyond their normal roots and becoming civilizations in full.

This would require one of several things.

1) A titan or forgotten beast or demon takes control of the unnamed civilization and begins to force them into a new form. This will give them the trappings of a Goblin civ.

2) The Kobolds can begin inviting them into their own civilization. Giving them the trappings of Kobold Civilization as they splinter away into their own tribes.

3) One of their camps is actually taken over by the new racial mechanics, then they rebel and break away. They take on the trappings of the group that conquered them sociologically and technologically, assuming they actually break away in rebellion, or are not exterminated first.

4) They occupy the ruins of some other civilization that have abandoned it. They maintain their own sociological ethics and such, but they take on the technology of the ruins they inhabit.

5) (rarest) if they have NO contact with other races when a particular age ends or begins. Unnamed civs that have not had any contact with any of the above (something nearly impossible) will begin forming their own proper civilizations.

So what do you think guys? Interesting? Yes or no?

Yeah I like all of these, 1 and 4 are very Robert Howard/Lovecraft esq and the other three are nice. For now I would rather have them get a more minor upgrade to act as noble savages or Violent savages that either attack viciously attack you until you burn down their camp or peaceful villages that will trade food for metal goods and can be hired in both fortress and adventure mode as mercenaries or guides(Its all kinda racist, but that's how fantasy tends to go sometimes). Also they need bigger settlements.
Pages: 1 [2]