Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: a brief survey  (Read 3010 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: a brief survey
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2014, 11:32:39 pm »

I'd note that starmade is coded in java and doesn't have the mind-boggling performance problems that minecraft (or space engineers, for that matter, and I don't think that's even in java) does. So that's probably more down to how good the programmers are and how much they know about storing and accessing lots of data efficiently and so forth (for games like those)...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2014, 03:46:34 am »

I'd also like to point out minecraft is incredibly badly optimised. But yeah, multi platform but at minimum performance hit if possible, please.
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2014, 11:14:31 am »

what system os do you use primarily for gaming (linux/mac/windows?)
OS X 10.6, because I can't afford a new computer with Windows installed.

do you prefer games optimized for your system or don't care if it is cross-platform (at a loss of performance)?
If it runs, I'm happy.

do you prefer single vision games or ones that are extensible through a scripting language (lua)/modding support?
Modding support is always healthy for games, I find.

If moddingSupport = True
     Then "Devs are more likely to fix bugs and spend time optimizing and taking care of the game in general."

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2014, 01:05:07 pm »

what system os do you use primarily for gaming (linux/mac/windows?)

Windows 7.

do you prefer games optimized for your system or don't care if it is cross-platform (at a loss of performance)?

I definitely prefer if they were optimized for PC, I'm one of those FPS nut guys who doesn't care about the visual quality of the game as long as I get 60FPS.

do you prefer single vision games or ones that are extensible through a scripting language (lua)/modding support?

Yeah, I prefer games that can be modded extensively.
Pages: 1 2 [3]