Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: a brief survey  (Read 3012 times)

starscream

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
a brief survey
« on: October 18, 2014, 12:48:59 pm »

some questions for pc users if you have a spare moment.

what system os do you use primarily for gaming (linux/mac/windows?)

do you prefer games optimized for your system or don't care if it is cross-platform (at a loss of performance)?

do you prefer single vision games or ones that are extensible through a scripting language (lua)/modding support?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: a brief survey
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 12:52:43 pm »

Windows, but I'd like to game in Linux someday

do you prefer games optimized for your system or don't care if it is cross-platform (at a loss of performance)?

I prefer optimized, but as long as I get 60fps and the graphics are consistent it doesn't matter.

do you prefer single vision games or ones that are extensible through a scripting language (lua)/modding support?

Single Vision games usually, but I'm okay with either.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 01:25:34 pm »

For gaming I use windows 8, although I also have a half dozen linux systems as well

I prefer it when games are cross platform

I prefer it when things can be modded and scripted and the games I have programmed reflect this.
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 01:33:25 pm »

Windows, but not willingly. If the majority of games worked well under linux I would be using that instead, I already do for everything productivity related. Games are the only reason I use windows.

Cross platform if we speak different breeds of PC, optimized if you mean between computers and consoles. I am sick of 30fps.

Too broad a question, entirely depends on the game. I still play Morrowind and the reason for that is the incredible amounts of mods that exist. I also could not care less about mods for starcraft and that is also one of my favourite games of all time.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 01:36:16 pm »

1-Windows

2-optimized for my system

3-not important that much for me, but would go with modding support
Make love not war

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 01:37:16 pm »

Win 7 64, primarily because my partitioning was too small for a dual-boot (windows bloat is atrocious). Next time I have to do an overhaul I'll be running Win and LINUX of some flavor.

Prefer optimized but as long as performance is decent enough to be enjoyable I don't really care.

Modding is nice, but these days I don't have as much free time or interest to get into it like I used to. If the game is pretty cheap I'm fine with a single vision single playthrough and then I move on.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 01:39:59 pm »

Aye, windows -- Vista, specifically, and my only system. Next computer will probably be linux, though. I'd actually kinda' prefer to stick with windows, mostly due to how much more compatible it is with gaming (the rest of the reason is just because I've been using windows systems for a while), but it's reached the point that some of their business practices mean I can't really ethically do business with them.

Question two, I don't really care so long as it's playable. Mind you, my computer's pretty crappy so that's a de facto preference for optimization, most of the time, but it's a practical rather than ideal/emotional preference. I have pretty low expectations when it comes to performance, though -- I've played games pretty comfortably that were hovering around 15 FPS or lower (AI War, in particular, recently). 30 FPS is, like, a good day, and usually anything more is just cake (if I can even notice the difference). Just so long as it runs well enough it's not painful to play and doesn't try to melt my CPU, I'm usually pretty happy.

Question three, I definitely lean towards games that allow for/encourage modding. I don't dislike single vision stuff, but given the historical track record of modding*, I definitely prefer when the option is there. If nothing else, it means I might be able to swing back by the game a few years after I've played it out and find new and awesome things, which is... pretty great.

*And the many very, very awesome things that have been done with it -- having gone through a good chunk of my teens while the WC3 custom maps were flourishing has a lot to do with this attitude.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 02:35:31 pm »

Windows 7

Cross platform is fine.  Most of the stuff I play is retro or indie so performance issues are rare.

I'm fine if a game has no mod support but some of my favorite games support mods, like Civ 4 and Doom.  I don't mod, except for some text based non-graphical MUD stuff.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 02:40:45 pm »

Windows. No doubt about it, it's the most supported way to game.

I prefer cross platform, but not at the expense of having no optimization on whatever it was mainly created on. Get it working, and working well on at least one platform, then try to port it to something else.

Modding will always trump developer versions at some point. Warcraft 3, for example, is a 12 year old game, yet it still has a community around it due to the powerful map editing program, keeping it alive well beyond the point that the developers wanted to support it.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 03:09:41 pm »

some questions for pc users if you have a spare moment.

1-Windows, mostly because of the compatibility with most games rather then its performance as an OS.

2-Optimized, but I dont care as long its playable even if I have to go to lowest settings. Never cared about pretty particle effects or graphics, but I'll enable them if it doesnt impair performance.

3-Altough I rarely make mods myself, I always apreciate games with modding support because it extends the life of the game by a lot if its community produces good mods. A good and recent example of this is legends of grimrock 2.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 03:12:40 pm »

3-Altough I rarely make mods myself, I always apreciate games with modding support because it extends the life of the game by a lot if its community produces good mods. A good and recent example of this is legends of grimrock 2.

Sorry to the OT for the slight derail but... are there already mods for grimrock 2? It has just been released!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 04:24:19 pm »

Oh no, not that I can think of. I'm just saying this because apparently they really expanded the modability of the game in the sequel. You can supposedly make boss mobs now and the whole dungeon structure can be way larger and be divided into several regions and not just a floor to floor business. You can basically make an expansive world made of regions that connect to eachother in an enourmous grid and make other floors that can also have their own regions and etc.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 05:44:06 pm »

1) Windows 7 / OSX split. I use a dual boot macbook, so lots of times it just comes down to ease of control and what operating systems are supported.
2) Doesn't really matter to me. My computer can run most games without any trouble at all anyways, so a little bit of performance loss is fine. I am a bigger fan of programs that support multiple OS's though or those that are Windows only.
3) Single vision is great for the base game, but IMO games are much better if they have the capabilities for modding support, even if they don't actually make use of it in the core game itself. I've had tons of games that I've been able to double or more my total playtime by starting to install some mods once the main game gets too easy/boring.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

SpiredWarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 06:13:33 pm »

Windows 7, optimized, and no preference either way.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 07:55:41 pm »

Windows 7

If it works, it works. (the latter as long as the game functions reasonably well, otherwise the former).

Given that these things are not mutually exclusive, both.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!
Pages: [1] 2 3