Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: a brief survey  (Read 3014 times)

ejseto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: a brief survey
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 09:11:54 pm »

what system os do you use primarily for gaming (linux/mac/windows?)
Windows 8

do you prefer games optimized for your system or don't care if it is cross-platform (at a loss of performance)?
That's a pretty uninteresting question. You're basically asking whether people want more of something good (performance) or less. More is always better. If you're a game dev, what you should be asking is what people think are the most important issues with cross-platform games, no? I seriously doubt the most common answer would be "poor performance." Nobody explicitly mentioned it, but a lot of console to pc ports suffer from poor controls. Often they just assume players should have an Xbox 360 controller. Directinput support is almost non-existent now. Mouse controls more often than not suffer from mouse acceleration problems that either cannot be changed within the game interface, or cannot be changed at all. Considering how many games use 3rd party engines which would likely be performance optimized for every supported platform by the engine dev, control/UI optimization is far more important to me.

do you prefer single vision games or ones that are extensible through a scripting language (lua)/modding support?
I definitely prefer games with modding support. Modding adds so much value and replayability, for seemingly so little effort. Why design more content when you can let your customers do it, while making them happy they're able to as well? It's a win/win.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2014, 10:47:43 pm »

Windows 7.

do you prefer games optimized for your system or don't care if it is cross-platform (at a loss of performance)?
Prefer if the game didn't have 'mobile versions' etc at the expense of designing a game that would be optimally enjoyable, but otherwise I don't care.

do you prefer single vision games or ones that are extensible through a scripting language (lua)/modding support?

I'd prefer the game I play to be created by the people I bought it from rather than enthusiasts.
That is to say: I don't mind modding, but I'd prefer if the game was fun before modding was introduced.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 11:29:37 pm »

some questions for pc users if you have a spare moment.

Windows 8.1 (I've tried linux in the past (8+ years ago), and it always had a tendency to self-destruct, or be harder to get anything done with, and not be able to run things I wanted to run in it (e.g. games))

I have friends that use linux and for multiplayer games it is nice to be able to have cross-platform multiplayer. However I don't see why that would require a loss of performance, unless you're intending to make a really bad console port (in which case it isn't the cross-platformness which is at fault, but whoever did the crappy unoptimized porting job)...

It depends on the game. I don't particularly care whether or not Tomb Raider is moddable - I played it for the single-player story. For Skyrim, the story is weak and mods can make the game more fun. For Morrowind, the story is strong, but it's old enough that mods can improve the rusty gameplay and visuals. Crusader Kings II, on the other hand, is a strong game by itself, yet is an ideally suited game to be modded, since mods can adapt it to other settings, alter the rules, or build on the gameplay.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2014, 03:52:00 am »

Win 7.

As long as it runs smoothly (here defined as 'game not stuttering and interrupting gameplay', not framerate), I'm fine with it.

Yes.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2014, 09:55:57 am »

Windows, though I'm happy when I see native support for Linux.
Depends on the performance hit. Generally though, it's not bad enough to bother me, but I'm on the higher end of setups here on B12.
Modding is wonderful! Almost every player will play the vanilla game at least a bit, if not to completion, before they get into mods. It's quite possible to have a single vision for the game, and still be willing to let the community create their own versions of this vision.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2014, 03:17:12 pm »

Windows

Optimized only

Modding is seen as an added value proposition and always tips me over the fence if I am considering a purchase.

Are you joining the great and wonderful world of game development? I only have a few years in it, but have worn many hats and worked on AAA and indie, from 2 man operations to 62 member companies. Feel free to hit me up ANY time as nothing is off limits with me.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2014, 03:34:01 pm »

Windows

Optimized

Single Vision... Mods suck the vast majority of the time unfortunately and often try to be the "prettiest snowflake of them all" by breaking the game over their knee (No coincidence that Pandor features units WAY stronger than the vanilla game). Worse yet is mods tend to just break the game (Like Pandor did)...

I haven't enjoyed serious modding of a game since The Sims 1...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 03:37:36 pm by Neonivek »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2014, 03:35:19 pm »

Windows, but I'd like to game in Linux someday

I prefer optimized, but as long as I get 60fps and the graphics are consistent it doesn't matter.

Single Vision games usually, but I'm okay with either.

Basically this.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2014, 03:38:36 pm »

Windows. But not through preference, simply because that's all I have and it's by far the most supported. I'm looking to move to dual boot linux.

Cross platform, but why should performance suffer excessively?

You shouldn't have to compromise. Have your vision, then let your users create their own. Modding adds so much to a game.
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2014, 04:01:36 pm »

some questions for pc users if you have a spare moment.

Firstly: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Secondly: Windows, optimised, moddable (even though generally I don't use mods so much, it's more the fact it's possible than because of a benefit to me).
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2014, 04:12:18 pm »

Pandor
... what's Pandor? Not even google is seeming to answer that question. Doesn't seem to be on gamefaqs, either...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2014, 04:50:08 pm »

Pendor (or whatsitsname) mod for Mount & Blade?

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2014, 06:05:32 pm »

Be cautious of that hardware survey from steam. It's biased if taken to represent anything other than Steam users that wanted to participate.

Notably, people that use steam tend to be among those more willing to spend more money on a gaming PC, but are pretty far from making up the entire population of gamers.
Also, I would wager that people that spent extra on their PC, or otherwise think they're running above average hardware, are going to be more willing to tell Valve what they have.

starscream

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2014, 07:20:32 pm »

Cross platform, but why should performance suffer excessively?

for cross platform support, you have the option of coding natively for all supported systems, which takes an insanely long time and requires extensive knowledge of both systems. or you take a performance hit by using third party libraries over which you have no or little control and/or coding (or scripting) in a VHLL like java.

[though java clunkers like minecraft can run fairly good on modern computers]

starscream

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2014, 07:23:14 pm »

thanks for your input everyone.  you've been helpful.
Pages: 1 [2] 3