Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New Player  (Read 2979 times)

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
Re: New Player
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 04:53:25 pm »

What the hell? Bugged. MY expedition leader has survived 3k hits, and now the troll is unconscious from over exertion.
Not bugged, he's just a true Dwarf.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 09:23:24 am »

Maybe your leader is cursed. Have you seen any unusual deaths? Found dwarves sucked dry of blood in their beds?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 10:11:53 am »

I realize that. I make a wall, and then try to make a ramo leading up so I can construct another level, but I can never construct another level above.
I don't see you say how you've got this working, below, so I'm going to suggest something you may or may not know (or have known)...  And I know you've moved on to other questions now.

The following all in side-views, sometimes with the 'correct' symbol but sometimes with one 'representative' only.

Start from ground level...

___________ (ground/floor)
########### (rock)

Build a wall and a ramp to get on top of it
   _
___O\______  (using an oblique to indicate the effective direction of ramp)
###########

You can't, at this point, build a useful ramp anywhere but on top of that lone bit of wall.

\         (actually directionless, there's no upper level you can build)
___O\______
###########

There's no way of building another level, at this point, so what I'd do is drop more walls in where you can.

Either
  _
  O\         a wall on top of a ground-level wall
__OO\______  the ground-level wall
###########

or
  _
  O\         You can hang a wall diagonally off of the top of the wall you have
___O\______
###########

Either way, the second ramp now lets you travel up to the second-level of flooring and continue.

Personally, I'd just build stairwells:

___<_______ up-stairs
###########

X        up/down-stairs
___<_______
###########

X        more up/down-stairs
   X       
___<_______
###########

>       end with a down-stair if you want to be neat, but not necessary
   X       
   X       
___<_______
###########

___>       You can build floors outwards from all these
   X___     
 H_X       (and even hang walls or, as here, fortifications off the side of them)
___<_______
###########

And here's how I often build towers (plan view)

+++++  The tops of the walls from the level below
+   +
+ X +  A stairwell in the middle (as an example configuration)
+   +
+++++

+++++ 
+ + +
++X++ Set up at least one connection from stairwell to wall-tops (as floors, on this level)
+ + + (It may well be more than one floor needed to connect from centre to edge.)
+++++

O+++O Set to build new walls (/pillars) in the corners alone, and let that finish
+ + +
++X++
+ + +
O+++O (There's access to the corners from both adjacent wall-edges)

Or...
OO+OO Set both the corner pillar and one segment of edge wall per corner (direction doesn't matter)
+ + +
++X++
O + O
O+++O (Access to the corner from one wall-edge, the other planned wall segment blocks but not fatally so, and not totally blocked itself)

Then..
OO+OO Fill in from the corner to (not quite) the access-point)
O + O
++X++
O + O
OO+OO (Route of access should be obvious)

Finally..
OOOOO The remaining walls
O + O
O+X+O
O + O
OOOOO

Of course, if you also set floors to be put in to fill the floor-gaps (not shown, but you can imagine), then you can speed things up.
It's a Last-In-First-Out job queue (i.e. stack) so you can fine-tune it by defining what you want doing last first (that it is possible to define, of course) and then defining the floors/etc that would be handy to be done first, and it should all work itself out.  But takes practice to know what on earth the dwarves will do for any given construction method. ;)

milo1109

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2012, 01:04:24 pm »

Thanks. I had some legendary axe dwarves and a great civilization, and then a MAJOR goblin siege came in. They had archers, lashers, trolls, voracious cave crawlers, etc. My 6 axe dwarves made short work of the last siege, so I send them in. They dont win, but with the help of a militia and traps we send the goblins running. However now my legendary axe dwarves are crippled or dead. So I better build a new military fast.
Pages: 1 [2]