Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: MIXOLOGY: THE THREAD  (Read 1384 times)

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
MIXOLOGY: THE THREAD
« on: September 27, 2012, 12:22:18 pm »

First of all, let's add a new workshop: The Bar. Dwarves can man it, and take pre-brewed drinks and serve them to dwarves. They also gain a Mixology skill, that lets them make advanced mixtures. All forms of wine and beer would be drunk straight up, probably, but rums, gins, tonics, tequillas, et cetera would be mixed with various other liquid ingredients (or *sliced plump helmet* to garnish). Usually, dwarves will make random mixtures, but occasionally they make mixtures that prove popular, at which point it will be saved to the dwarf, and taught to other dwarves. Other skills that make a successful mixologist are all the charisma related skills, or having high dexterity for cool tricks.

Strange Moods may include stranger ingredients. For the most part they will be edible, but may include things like Limestone or Adamantine Strands for flavor and flashyness (inedible ingredients like that would be kept afterwards, they wouldn't dissappear). Or they might require glasses made from rarer materials (A dragon bone shot glass, meaning all drinks carry the distinct flavour of dragon marrow)
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
Re: MIXOLOGY: THE THREAD
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 06:21:41 pm »

I love this thread!
whats that booz with the gold?
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 07:05:20 pm »

Would the mooded drinks be able to be made again?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 07:47:45 pm »

For glasses, what about certain drinks being really strong: dissolving normal materials, like stone, wood, glass, and flesh? Following that idea, what about drinks that will knock out a normal dwarf but not a serious boozer?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 07:52:45 pm »

Dwarves ARE serious boozers.
And drinks should not be too corrosive, that's bad for the digestion.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 10:33:44 pm »

I'm all for this, we need more service professions in dwarf fortress. It consumes a dwarf and it provided a use for mugs. If dwarves can still drink out of kegs but get a bonus for bars it would be great.

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 10:34:38 pm »

Yes!!!!  Magma stills produce niche supplies exploited by mixologists!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes!!!!!

I'm thinking the bar should be a room or zone, not a workshop. Or perhaps a room that floods from a workshop to give an anchor for the mixologists.  Dwarves sit down during drinky time and bar wenches serve them from their ample jugs. 

Highly leveled social skills make good barmaids.

Dwarves can get good thoughts from good barmaids.  Thoughts are moderate bad if they don't get served, but will get up and drink out of a barrel. 

Now I think it's a proper tavern.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 10:38:37 pm »

I think that bars should be like dining rooms. Create a bar building or something, set up some tables and chairs nearby, make sure that drink and mug stockpiles are available.
Sig

Ari Lazarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 10:05:31 pm »

I was actually going to work on this very mod... <_<
Modest Bodies - Fixes joints for all creatures.

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 12:03:49 am »

Yeah, bars should be a zone. Also, mooded drinks would be able to be made as many times as you want. However, due to their exotic ingredients, it may be hard to do.
Also, I guess a bar owned by a dwarf who did a mixology mood will label their bar to be "Home of the Blazeddoors" where Blazeddoors is the name of the drink.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 12:25:08 am »

I still think bars should be done in the same way dining rooms are. If they are changed to a zone, bars should be a zone, but until then they should be a room.
Sig

LrZeph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 10:45:20 pm »

I reckon that there should be two different levels to it, an unmanned bar in the dining room where dwarves can serve themselves, which would take more/less time depending on how many dwarves want a drink, and how many kegs are available.
There would also, ideally, be an actual bar, where dwarves could, as suggested by Robosaur get specialty drinks, such as mooded ones. This bar would also provide the benefit of being able to give civilian dwarves alcohol "to-go", so they don't need to return home as often. Maybe have a toggle option in the room screen, like with bedrooms Dorm Yes/No option, but being either a Dispensary/Bar.
And everyone knows, when the Dwarves come out of the walls, it's all over.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 05:03:36 pm »

Presumably, the second would come along with a tavern or restaurant or something which is the same thing, but with food.
Sig

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 01:58:21 pm »

This is an interesting idea, and hopefully will come alongside the tavern update. Support.

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 05:26:48 am »

I'm not sure, but I believe the concept of bars and taverns is already planned.
As for the "Mixology skill", it proves an interesting idea. certain dwarfs that order and receive their favorite drink should get a happiness bonus, :)
while dwarfs that receive their favorite drinks from a "Dabbling Mixologist" may have a chance to receive a "Hopes were dropped with a poorly mixed drink" and a negative happiness bonus. :(

As thiosk and GreatWyrmGold said, the bar room should be designated as a zone, such as the dining room. probably the dining room and bar could be merged by placing a bar table in it.
The drinks created from the strange moods should become the legendary drinks known by everyone, it should be able to be created again although only to the skill of the bartender/mixologist.
But for the dwarfs who are just thirsty, and do not want to wait for their favorite mixture, they should still be able to pick up a barrel from the stockpile and have a good drink.

Anyway! I support the idea of more depth in the production and serving of alcohol!
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*