Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarven table manners?  (Read 2084 times)

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven table manners?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 09:17:24 am »

I haven't seen them attempt to reallocate barrels if there's more than one on the tile. Though they'll carry barrels off the tile occupied by other drinking creature. And obviously, they won't place it back onto quantum pipe.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven table manners?
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 10:43:20 am »

The problem, as I noted above, is keeping container items (barrels, bins, pots full of stuff) in your quantum pile when there's a container limit of one on it.  Your gathering pile will always have more room, ergo you will see dwarfs endlessly moving in circles, dumping things into the quantum pile and then moving it back again.

To be honest, I haven't been watching the behavior very closely, but it doesn't seem to work that way.  Or maybe they're just fast about the switch.  First of all, I have only two stockpiles for the booze - the receiving & the distribution piles.  (Here's a link, Xob!)  There are not a slew of jobs to move items from one to the other.  However, they haven't been doing a good job of picking up booze - there are a couple in each pile, and about thirty in the stills.  So the entire idea doesn't seem to work so well, because of that.

What if you made the receiving stockpile where the minecart dumps the booze be large enough to have many containers?  The containers themselves would all be on the same tile, but the pile's container limit wouldn't be breached by a couple barrels.  Although even if this worked, the issue of them standing on the same tile as the barrel to drink remains.  Either they would crowd into the same tile, or only one dwarf would be able to get a drink from the tile at a time.

This is my observation as well:
I haven't seen them attempt to reallocate barrels if there's more than one on the tile. Though they'll carry barrels off the tile occupied by other drinking creature. And obviously, they won't place it back onto quantum pipe.

There really isn't a drinking problem - the first dwarf along stands on the quantum stockpile to drink.  Any others that come along will dart in, pick up a barrel, and move away to drink.  And then drop the barrel anywhere.

Overall, you can quantum stockpile food in this manner (mine is sans barrels).  You can also stockpile barrels of booze, although they don't seem to worry very much about actually filling the receiving stockpile.  But that could be due to other things - I'm not sure if the jobs just aren't being created, or if I have them trying to do too many other things.  (In this fort, I have my pop cap set at 60, so average 68 total.)
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.
Pages: 1 [2]