Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven table manners?  (Read 2087 times)

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven table manners?
« on: September 20, 2012, 09:27:21 am »

So, a question I think I know the answer to already:

Dwarves go to the food stockpile, pick up food and carry it to an available table to eat.  But when drinking, they stand in the drink stockpile, on top of the barrel.  Is there any way (or planned change) to get them to carry their booze away from the stockpile to drink?  I haven't found any way to do it, yet.

Here's my problem - I'm making track stop/quantum stockpiles for food & drink, on the level above.  Food & drink (barrels) are placed in the stockpile, dumped into an empty space by the minecart & track stop, where they land on a 1x1 stockpile below.  The food pile works great!  But I'm afraid to implement the drink stockpile, because I envision full barrels of booze crashing onto the dwarf standing below.  Plus having a 1x1 stockpile might limit how many dwarves can actually drink.

Edit:  Spoke too soon!
The *turkey hen egg roast (38)* strikes the Miller in the right lower leg, shattering the bone through the dog leather trousers!
The Miller's right upper leg skids along the ground, bruising the muscle through the dog leather trousers!
The Miller gives in to pain.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 09:44:30 am by Urist McSpike »
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven table manners?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 10:52:14 am »

The *turkey hen egg roast (38)* strikes the Miller in the right lower leg, shattering the bone through the dog leather trousers!
The Miller's right upper leg skids along the ground, bruising the muscle through the dog leather trousers!

This belongs here.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 11:01:27 am »

It certainly gives new meaning to the phrase "Food Fight!".  Remember kiddies, it's all fun & games until the mashed potatoes put someone's eye out! :D
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 12:00:28 pm »

Food and drink, stored in barrels and pots, can't be quantum stockpiled because of the containers.  You can't drop them from above because the dwarfs will get hit by the falling stuff (even if they just take it and walk away, eventually someone will get knocked unconscious and then lay there until something else comes falling down on them).

You can dump items straight from a cart onto the floor next to it, but stockpiles have a container limit to them, which means the 1x1 tile will accept exactly one barrel/pot before the dwarfs then try to move it to a different pile with empty space.

You can't store booze without a container.  (Try autodump from dfhack on your booze stockpile sometime and watch what happens.)  You CAN make a food stockpile that accepts no barrels.  However this draws flies and vermin, so I just make regular large stockpiles for consumables.  Bars, stone, cloth... pretty much anything else can be quantum stockpiled without the container.
Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 12:26:55 pm »

This belongs here.
people link to my thread in other threads

:o
My wooden badge was delicious.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 12:31:44 pm »

That's what I was afraid of.  I knew you needed to store drinks in barrels, but I'm not sure about the container limit.  I know there is the limit from the stockpile properties, but I do have a Furniture (Barrel) quantum stockpile that has around 30 barrels on one tile.  Also, my quantum food stockpile has 2 barrels of food on it.  But I don't know how that'd work for barrels of booze...

I was really wondering if there was some trick I had missed, to get them to pick up booze, and then go to the dining hall to drink, instead of hovering around the drink stockpile.  I was originally going to have the dumping done from above, so my first concern was about barrels falling on them while they drink, but there's the problem of dwarves standing on the barrel to drink, so it might limit them to one drinking at a time.  Which would quickly lead to problems of a different nature.

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 01:01:03 pm »

I know there is the limit from the stockpile properties, but I do have a Furniture (Barrel) quantum stockpile that has around 30 barrels on one tile. 

You can store furniture items as much as you want, as in, they are empty and not being used.  But for container limits on the stockpiles themselves, such as bins which hold bars on your bars stockpile, each tile can only hold one.  I would not be surprised if a dwarf comes along and tries to free up the extra barrel on your food stockpile.

I worked with this problem myself for a few days before giving in and making regular large stockpiles.  I made one large stockpile near my stills and kitchens, which holds everything (in containers) except for prepared food.  That serves as cooking ingredients, flour, plants, etc, as well as booze overflow.  In my meeting hall, I have two smaller piles for ONLY prepared food (in containers) and then another two for booze, and the booze stockpiles there in the meeting room pull from the overflow pile.  This means sometimes dwarfs drink at the overflow stockpile, but it helps keep my meeting hall neat(er).
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 01:18:33 pm »

Yeah, I usually just do a huge stockpile for booze & cooked food, next to the dining hall, but I'm trying to use track stops to do some more condensed storage.  I'm actually using a method from the wiki (I think):

gg  - g - gathering stockpile
gSr - S - track stop, taking from g & dumping to r
gg  - r - quantum stockpile

I have several of these above my kitchens, one each for: empty barrels & jugs, distillable plants, unprepared food, tallow, processable non-food (pig tails, dimple cups).  And then more over the crafting area, for wood, bars, blocks, sand bags, gems & such.  It's a great setup for things that take a lot of room, like wood or stone blocks.  But not so much for booze.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 04:36:09 pm »

You can store furniture items as much as you want, as in, they are empty and not being used.  But for container limits on the stockpiles themselves, such as bins which hold bars on your bars stockpile, each tile can only hold one.  I would not be surprised if a dwarf comes along and tries to free up the extra barrel on your food stockpile.
Even with a minecart induced quantum stockpile?

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 04:45:42 pm »

This belongs here.

Ninja'ed!
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 04:51:19 pm »

If it's over 7 hours, it's less of him being a ninja and more of you being
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 07:47:15 pm »

Anything can be quockpiled with minecarts.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 01:22:51 am »

Booze?  I haven't figured out how to get around the "only 1 barrel allowed in a 1x1 pile" issue.  Maybe with links.

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 08:46:24 am »

The problem, as I noted above, is keeping container items (barrels, bins, pots full of stuff) in your quantum pile when there's a container limit of one on it.  Your gathering pile will always have more room, ergo you will see dwarfs endlessly moving in circles, dumping things into the quantum pile and then moving it back again.

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 09:05:32 am »

But when drinking, they stand in the drink stockpile, on top of the barrel.
The dwarven kegstand is the preferred method of alcohol consumption.

What if you made the receiving stockpile where the minecart dumps the booze be large enough to have many containers?  The containers themselves would all be on the same tile, but the pile's container limit wouldn't be breached by a couple barrels.  Although even if this worked, the issue of them standing on the same tile as the barrel to drink remains.  Either they would crowd into the same tile, or only one dwarf would be able to get a drink from the tile at a time.
Pages: [1] 2