Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should Kobolds be able to dig everything?

Yes, but have Indigo's SCIENCE encourage suface living
- 8 (22.2%)
Yes, but they can't learn mining. Kobolds live in caves why should they be affected.
- 13 (36.1%)
No, They only have Shovels. So soil is good enough, embark on a cave or old fortress.
- 15 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: July 05, 2012, 12:32:52 pm

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: [Kobold Camp 2012] Head for Lago's Thread, it's more updated  (Read 14149 times)

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was sitting back trying to think of a way to comment to those Ideas, and you pretty much nailed it GWG

Even Steel as strong is it seems can fracture and break, that is why when you break weapons you get chunks of metal. in which you can make a crude metal version. Also back then steel/iron swords had tendincies to break because they used nothing but hard metals, hard metal = weak impact yeild = breakage.

A german blacksmith back way back then perfected sword making, by taking hard<soft>hard iron/steel metals and hammering/smelting them together, the outer hard metals kept the sharp edge very well, while the inner soft metal allowed the sword to take impact better by making it more flexible.

I imagin that in DF that technique hasn't been discovered yet and weaponsmiths make a straight hard metal. So kobolds can easily break metal stuff down to craft their own crude versions.

And spear throwing is still in, Perhaps I should swap the machete out for a spear? The weapon would show up in game as "Spear (t)" the "(t)" stating that it can throw spears. But this spear might be a "short spear (t)" with slightly weaker melee stats, so using a normal spear for a pure spearbold is better then just arming every bold with short spears.

Crossbows and Bows
I i'm iffy on crossbows, But I can make vanilla ones too big for kobolds, to encourage the dismantling of them to make smaller ones. But that still involves taking out a squad of crossbow invaders. I might make the Kobold version of the crossbow use arrows, this means you can have your bow and crossbow squads mixed, altho spear throwers will still be their own sqaud least ammo confusion ensues.
But I don't see kobolds with crossbows, but if everyone does, Crossbows ahoy!

Also the Slower archer training is still in debate. I dont want to turn KC from Hard mode to Insane mode.

But another question for everyone. How does a special caste of kobold that can auto-hide, allowing for them to ambush their targets. But since they auto-hide that means they will be in sneak mode constantly which means they would be really slow. So only pure combat bold should have it, and they would even use it in combat which is a bonus? As the kobold fades in and out of the shadows constantly ambushing, acaully it won't be that often It will a monthly thing. so once a month they can "hide"

Questions, concerns, Ideas, general disagreement?

EDIT:
Also Yes but slow mining of all is 9 votes
and No normal KC has 10 votes.
This is a tough one folks.

well you may be right on that break apart thing, but I still can't imagine myself breaking apart a railroad rail with nothing but rocks and primitive tools - I assume that's what breaking apart a two-haded sword be for a kobold.
I'd say at the very least that break-apart workshop should require several mechanisms, rocks and metal hammers, and the task should be comparable with strand extrection regarding time expenses.
EDIT: the pinnacle of kobold technology, so to say. Like smelting the Whiskers of Armor in the Sea of His Blood for dwarves, ye see!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 04:56:54 am by nanomage »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

With patience and another rock, I can see it happening. Machanisms and so on might make it easier and/or more effcient, though.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution

Well I could make another workshop that requires said mechanisms and maybe some ropes/chains an anvil or a block. But really something so complex for breaking something that is not meant to be hit on the non-edge side? If I wanted I could break one of my swords easy, might be dangerous if i'm not careful and it might not be "instant" but I could do it. All I need is leverage, something to whack it with, and time. Metal bends, and when it does you bend it the other way, everytime it bends back and forth it gets weaker at the point of bending until finally it snaps off.

Remember I'm assuming that weaponsmiths are just taking pure Iron or steel and just shaping/working it into a sword/weapon. So that means no fancy techqniue to make the metal more absorbant to impact, and more resistant to the effects of being bent (like spring steel, or any metal that is really floppy, for lack of better words)

My brother and I have machetes, they are made from light flexible metal I can flex the blade and let go and it would spring back into place (I don't bend it that much) because it is like that it is harder to snap due to being able to "move" with the impact. If anything the handle would break before the blade.

But my brother bought one of those fancy SOB machetes, hardened carbon steel. Surpose to be the best for outdoors and hardcore campers, even being able to chop down trees with it they promised. My brother broke 3 trying to cut down a tree, and it wasn't a very big tree.

The blade was too hard, and didn't have anything to absorb the impact of a solid blow. Thus even snapping on the edge part that is designed structually to be the strongest part. Imagin a good 11" of free flying sharpened metal coming back at you, not fun I think.

So going with the simple "Weapons are cheaply made" concept Steel to Copper stuff can be broken. Bronze and Copper might be a bit harder but with time and alot of bending and whacking it can be done.

But I could probally use a custom workshop for breaking and making crude stuff, since I don't think the Craftshop is the best of places. or maybe it is, it has tools has it not?

So far this can be worked on, as there are probally alot of bugs still. I kinda want to get those cleaned up before I start working on something I added into KC ;)
With some kobold creature related bugs reported thanks to DB and others that managed to crop up. I'd say things are going well.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 12:39:29 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

NineFourEightSeven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe for a bit of realism, the metal smashing reaction could have a chance to make a boiling stone with a very mild bleeding syndrome?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sounds good. Call it "shrapnel" when boiling.

Maybe the custom orkshop would consist of two building materials, or one rock and one other item?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile

I was just thinking that. I feel sorry for the kobolds that have a piece of shrapnel get stuck in their eye. Well I won't go that far :P but the syndrome will probally even have a low probalilty to harms various parts of the body and be resistable. But breaking those weapons and armor will be worth it, allowing kobolds to be armed with metal even if it is crude :P

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can say that again!
Sig

DarthBoogalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Wicked.
    • View Profile

Should have an even lesser chance to cause horrible damage to an eye, or two.
I meant to do these yesterday, but I had spread myself thin with multiple things that day got lazy.
Creature
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Entity
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also, I noticed Hoardcounter in your kobold entity begin with capitals, I don't think noble positions are supposed to have capitals?
Also also! do you want them to be playable? I could make them playable in Fort Mode, I imagine it'd be slightly less hardmode, and your kobolds would be scaly, but everyone would still hate you, even more so since they have babysnatcher.
Thanks to discussing the draconic guy with a friend, I now realize that he is pretty much Ganondorf. >_> I went with Cobold for now, feel free to change the name to whatever though! I don't really like the name myself, hah.
Made draconics slightly more badass by giving them nofear and giving it a wicked bad temper, also made it live for a long time! You'd be easily angered and or depressed if you outlived everyone you loved and couldn't raise a family, they are supposedly the only ones able to became the civ leader, I haven't tested these at all, lole, draconics have [INTELLIGENT] now, too.
They are pretty much the kobold equivalent of goblins now? I probably broke something, lemme know if anything doesn't work like it should.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 11:35:56 am by DarthBoogalo »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile

Yeah Nobles shouldn't have caps in them at all. I just ripped this from KC, also I noticed somehow I misplaced the hoardcounter :/ Wait nvm there was bad "tab-ing" and the part that starts the hoardcounter was hiding in Trader.

Ok fixed all caps in noble names for kobolds.

I will now squrrel these cobolds away until their time to since has come lol.

DarthBoogalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Wicked.
    • View Profile

Huzzah!
Now imagine a Kobold riding a segway.

wolfwood296

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ha a kobold mod, these things always seem to beat my dwarves (idk how but the get lucky shoots at the spine  ??? )
I've asked Uristeamer to begin investigating his duck's ability to eat a fully grown dwarf.- quote from broseph stalin

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Re: [Kobold Camp 2012] Version 1.5 for DF 34.11 (alpha) beware the !!BUGS!!
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2012, 05:08:35 pm »

I downloaded the latest version, but world genning is impossible.  It gets all the way to the end, then rejects and starts genning again.  It got up to 9 before I gave up.  Is this a bug, or related to the low survivability of kobolds?
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2012, 06:00:57 pm »

Acually Lago updated KC http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=70558.0 and included a good deal of my additions.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2012, 06:17:31 pm »

Acually Lago updated KC http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=70558.0 and included a good deal of my additions.

Thanks for the correction!
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]