Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should Kobolds be able to dig everything?

Yes, but have Indigo's SCIENCE encourage suface living
- 8 (22.2%)
Yes, but they can't learn mining. Kobolds live in caves why should they be affected.
- 13 (36.1%)
No, They only have Shovels. So soil is good enough, embark on a cave or old fortress.
- 15 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: July 05, 2012, 12:32:52 pm

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: [Kobold Camp 2012] Head for Lago's Thread, it's more updated  (Read 14150 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Ores were diggable in the old KC.

If I wer you, I'd make a DIGGABLE_STONE_TEMPLATE or something, and make gold, copper, and silver ores that (maybe some other ores, too, but probably not iron ores). Also make flint and other "soft" rocks that template. Maybe make some sort of "gravel" or "crushed rock" that is diggable rock and can be found in soil.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

DarthBoogalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Wicked.
    • View Profile

Tribal Rain Dance!

CaptainKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • @DrCaptainKobold

I didn't realize you'd put out your first version of KC!  Definitely going to be watching this one.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Regarding obsidian and chert:
Leaving them aside would mean losing great and fitting weapon materials, but I do agree that allowing kobolds to dig layerstones would be to easy.
Is it possible to mod chert and obsidian to contain small clusters of "flint" and "fine obsidian" respectively, which would be diggable and could be available to kobolds if exposed to the cliff side?
To encourage obsidian casting, [LAVA] tag might be removed from obsidian and added to "fine obsidian"
Soils may be modded to rarely contain these small clusters, too.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution

Ok so im making growable stalk wood, that can be brewed, or processed into stalk branch logs or some thing like that, I might just call it bamboo. Altho how would you brew bamboo to a drink? Simple it just makes barrelled water. As for seeds for it, I might make a "search for bamboo seeds" altho I don't think Bamboo has seeds? Must do some research.

And I can add in those small clusters of Flint "jet?" and fine (chippable) obsidian in Obsidian lol. Or I can make said fine, and flint a clay layer so you can gather flint this of course has the issue of kobolds building everything from flint like dwarves, or spamming flint crafts... well... Not really I have a plan that could fix that. Maybe.

Might take some time to figure it all out. Also native copper/silver/gold was already free from the undiggable since they define their own material properties. but a few other copper and silver bering ores I made diggable.

@GWG
On it ;)

@DarthBoogalo
Could be a Idea

@CK
You were busy with other matters :P

@nano
chert is a type of flint?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

as per wiki, flint is a variety of chert that occurs in limestone and chalk layers. it also says "Among non-geologists (in particular among archaeologists), the distinction between "flint" and "chert" is often one of quality - chert being lower quality than flint."

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile

so... Make flint show up in chert layers? as a kindof better quality chippable sharp rock?

And another question, gatherable like clay. Or mineable like stone? I think if I add it in it will only be mineble.

EDIT:
Water processing reactions ATM

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:FILL_BUCKET_WATER]
[NAME:fill bucket with water (process bamboo)]
[BUILDING:STILL:CUSTOM_E]
[REAGENT:A:5:PLANT:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:STALK_WOOD:STRUCTURAL]
[REAGENT:B:1:BUCKET:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[EMPTY]
[PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
  [DOES_NOT_ABSORB]
[PRODUCT:60:10:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:WATER:NONE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150][PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:B]
[PRODUCT:100:1:SEEDS:NONE:PLANT_MAT:STALK_WOOD:SEED]
[SKILL:PROCESSPLANTS]

[REACTION:FILL_BARREL_WATER]
[NAME:fill barrel with water (process bamboo)]
[BUILDING:STILL:CUSTOM_F]
[REAGENT:A:5:PLANT:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:STALK_WOOD:STRUCTURAL]
[REAGENT:barrel/pot:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[EMPTY]
[FOOD_STORAGE_CONTAINER]
[PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
[PRODUCT:100:5:DRINK:NONE:WATER:NONE]
[PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:barrel/pot]
[SKILL:PROCESSPLANTS]

[REACTION:EMPTY_WATER]
[NAME:empty water container]
[BUILDING:STILL:CUSTOM_U]
[REAGENT:water:1:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:WATER:NONE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[REAGENT:B:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[CONTAINS:water]
[PRESERVE_REAGENT]
Do note the final empty water reaction is for Buckets.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 04:29:27 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just thought of a good reason that kobolds couldn't use bows!
Okay, they could, but archery (IRL) takes a decade or two of training to be good at, and most kobolds don't really live long enough. Unless you're going with the vanilla maxage and not the old KC one. In that case, I'll stick to "Atlatls seem to fit kobolds better."
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, they could, but archery (IRL) takes a decade or two of training to be good at, and most kobolds don't really live long enough. Unless you're going with the vanilla maxage and not the old KC one. In that case, I'll stick to "Atlatls seem to fit kobolds better."

Yes, but kobolds are tiny. They eat meat. They cant just run up with a spear, can they? They must be trained from the second they hatch to use a bow.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile

Yes, but kobolds are tiny. They eat meat. They cant just run up with a spear, can they? They must be trained from the second they hatch to use a bow.
Hatch? Did I mess up and leave [LAYS_EGGS] in?  :-[

*Checks Raws* Nope don't see it in my current raws for KC.

And if people want even if it is a major setback, but make training bows really hard?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game

Maybe make producing arrows a very expensive process, thereby making it more difficult to train archery.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe make producing arrows a very expensive process, thereby making it more difficult to train archery.

Poke hole in flint.

Put stick in flint.

For a kobold that must be very hard.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 12:41:50 am by Corai »
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile

well Flint, wood, feathers = about 25 - 50 arrows (assuming teh shear weight of boulders is a large mass = lots of flint shards, and when I think of Logs I think of large tree logs, so that has to have alot of material for shafts. and feathers well we all know the importance of feathers or at least "fins" on arrows or other long narrow projectiles)

Ammo might not be a issue, but what is bone/wood arrows for eh? training. But if I make the learn rate slower. Then you can really value your archers/hunters.

This is not going to be in the next release tho, right now I'm just working on the things I broke like the Training grounds. I think I broke that.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I meant clusters of chippable (and diggable) stone to be mineable.

Also, I'd vote for kobolds being unable to draw human and elven bows, but being able to make weaker bows of their own.
Breaking apart foreign weapons seems suitable for spears and pikes (to obtain spearheads), arrows and bolts (for arrowheads), and maybe axes (so that the axe itself can be attached to a kobold spear to act as a kind of halberd) but it seems really weird to me regarding other weapons.
And how would kobolds break apart a steel sword?
And what use will the unliftable blade be for them if they can?
I'd say only spear- and arrowheads (and maybe axes) should be useable to make kobold weapons, with all the other foreign weapons only going into traps.

EDIT: maybe they should be able to modify the handle of a dagger to make their own kobold two-handed sword, but that's about all I think.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 04:13:56 am by nanomage »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Or...use atlatls.

Hatch? Did I mess up and leave [LAYS_EGGS] in?  :-[

*Checks Raws* Nope don't see it in my current raws for KC.

And if people want even if it is a major setback, but make training bows really hard?
Maybe something like making kobolds learn bowboldship slower, but make bows stronger to compensate?
(Crossbows should be a bit stronger and easier to train then bows, but native kobold weaponry would train the fastest, and crossbows are hard to make.)

Yeah, I meant clusters of chippable (and diggable) stone to be mineable.

Also, I'd vote for kobolds being unable to draw human and elven bows, but being able to make weaker bows of their own.
Breaking apart foreign weapons seems suitable for spears and pikes (to obtain spearheads), arrows and bolts (for arrowheads), and maybe axes (so that the axe itself can be attached to a kobold spear to act as a kind of halberd) but it seems really weird to me regarding other weapons.
And how would kobolds break apart a steel sword?
And what use will the unliftable blade be for them if they can?
I'd say only spear- and arrowheads (and maybe axes) should be useable to make kobold weapons, with all the other foreign weapons only going into traps.

EDIT: maybe they should be able to modify the handle of a dagger to make their own kobold two-handed sword, but that's about all I think.
Even a steel sword can be broken by bashing it against a rock enough. The tip of a steel sword would make a deadly dagger, and the rest could be stuck together with a more maleable metal or with wire or leather or something to make armor or a shield or something.
Sig
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6