Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: So what use have you found for your vampires?  (Read 3795 times)

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: So what use have you found for your vampires?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 05:06:00 pm »

How do you feed them children??? Also, how do you seal them off? But how do you feed them children?
A lever controlled hatch/retracting bridge as the roof to his sealed pen with a burrow over it or just assign him and some children in a small burrow.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 05:17:15 pm »

Well how do you separate and seal off the Vampire in a pen in the first place? Make him a military squad?

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 05:23:38 pm »

Well how do you separate and seal off the Vampire in a pen in the first place? Make him a military squad?
Burrow restrictions, locking his bedroom door...
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Snowdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 05:58:54 pm »

When I get a new migrant wave I pick out all the useless ones and add them to a "special" burrow. From there they are dropped into my mayor/vampire's living room where they will slowly be drained of blood one by one.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 06:04:32 pm »

I make them patrol my catacombs for the founders (I build the 'combs when I get vampires...) and use them as a failsafe in case the fort falls. I also toss down some training weapons and shields and make them train.

Logen910

• Bay Watcher
  • Biting people to death since 126,000 B.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 06:17:34 pm »

test them for all possible dwarf science. falling from big highs, swimming in magma, dancing with dragons, creation of super soldiers. i must say none of them have succeed so far. they are only good for decimating your lazy ass dwarfs.
This is a russian player. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with blood, death and pain and encircled with bands of bad grammar mistakes.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2012, 08:59:48 am »

One is the sealed off magma pump operator for my obsidian caster. Permamently happy because of that sublime magma pump. The other one is mayor, manager and bookkeeper and sitting in his sealed off room. He's not needed for meetings anymore since the baron does this now.

Quite relaxing that way.

So... the thirst from lack of blood doesn't stop/slow his magma pumping? Genius! I wonder if there are other jobs like that, hadn't realised this before.

Depends on the situation.  The last one I got, I spotted before it ever reached the fortress.  Right now my biggest problem is too many idlers and not enough unskilled labor to go around, so I just nicknamed the vampire so I don't lose track of it, and am allowing it free rein.  If it solves my overpopulation problem, great.  If not, I got a healthy and active vampire in reserve for when I come up with an idea that needs one.

The problem/risk is, they tend to solve overpopulation by creating a more dynamic job market; that is to say, they eat your most skilled dwarves, creating openings for promotions.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2012, 05:44:19 pm »

So... the thirst from lack of blood doesn't stop/slow his magma pumping? Genius! I wonder if there are other jobs like that, hadn't realised this before.

I think they still get job slowdown from not drinking alcohol, so you just have to give them low priority jobs.  I like to make them an isolated couple of rooms, and assign bookkeeper & manager duties.  You could also do something with dedicated workshops for making trade goods, or some other long-term crafting strategy.

I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 07:59:28 am »

I think they still get job slowdown from not drinking alcohol, so you just have to give them low priority jobs.  I like to make them an isolated couple of rooms, and assign bookkeeper & manager duties.  You could also do something with dedicated workshops for making trade goods, or some other long-term crafting strategy.

What I meant was, is magma pumping affected by job slowdown at all and are there other jobs like that?

Bookkeeping and manager duties probably would take longer (but they usually take so little it doesn't really matter), but does pumping have any speed, or does everyone pump at the same speed? Probably skill does matter (else why have it), but what about other factors, namely the slowdown from lack of alcohol? Of course, with 1 magma pump to fill some limited size reservoir, way down near the magma sea, the increased time from having a thirsty vampire do it is probably way less than having some other pump operator walk all the way down there, since the vampire can literally do it for eternity (excepting breaks, possibly).
Pages: 1 [2]