Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So what use have you found for your vampires?  (Read 3891 times)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So what use have you found for your vampires?
« on: July 01, 2012, 12:31:16 pm »

I've heard a few different ways people put vampires to use. Some make them their manager/bookkeepers, others isolate them and give them a pick and let them carve out palaces in the underground. Some let them wander the caverns and pick fights with creatures. I think some have even tried making them into military? Although I don't understand how effective that can be since they still need booze.

What use have you made out of your vampire?
Feeling down? Click Here!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: So what use have you found for your vampires?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 12:36:01 pm »

Fortress anchor/prisoner. Really though, I rarely have vampires and when they do show up, they tend to suffer horrible accidents.

As in, actual horrible accidents, not unfortunate accidents.

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 12:56:17 pm »

One is the sealed off magma pump operator for my obsidian caster. Permamently happy because of that sublime magma pump. The other one is mayor, manager and bookkeeper and sitting in his sealed off room. He's not needed for meetings anymore since the baron does this now.

Quite relaxing that way.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 01:54:32 pm »

I've got a vampire in Zonnish. My plan is to use him to keep the prisoner population down.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 02:05:10 pm »

I rarely get vampires but when I do I use them to incriminate people I don't like.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 02:08:13 pm »

I usually contaminate a separate cistern with its blood, and vampirificate my expedition leader/duke/mayor/broker/manager/bookkeeper, so he can theoretically lead for eternity. If regularly fed enough children through the airlock, it's fine to let him out of his palace to meet with diplomats (most of the time).

Some random haulers also get vampirificatized, and form a core group of completely isolated glassmakers spending eternity making glass crap at magma furnaces, kept in reserve to dump food/booze down the chutes if things otherwise get gnarly. They don't get fed children, though.

I haven't had a vampire in quite a while though, which is rather depressing.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 02:28:58 pm »

I usually contaminate a separate cistern with its blood, and vampirificate my expedition leader/duke/mayor/broker/manager/bookkeeper, so he can theoretically lead for eternity. If regularly fed enough children through the airlock, it's fine to let him out of his palace to meet with diplomats (most of the time).

If you manage to get your mayor convicted of something, you can get him permanently locked up by forbidding the chain after he gets chained up.  If the chain is in his office, he can still have meetings.  It's even safe to put a clothing stockpile around the chain so that he can wear clothes.

The same can go for a baron, but of course you have to get him convicted before promotion.  Their meetings aren't as important though.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 04:12:15 pm »

Depends on the situation.  The last one I got, I spotted before it ever reached the fortress.  Right now my biggest problem is too many idlers and not enough unskilled labor to go around, so I just nicknamed the vampire so I don't lose track of it, and am allowing it free rein.  If it solves my overpopulation problem, great.  If not, I got a healthy and active vampire in reserve for when I come up with an idea that needs one.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 04:17:01 pm »

Eh, actually, feeding them children is more just for giggles than anything else, now that I think about it... the only meetings that require a breech are with disgruntled citizens, as I usually give him a direct route to the depot, which I couldn't care less about.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 09:14:41 pm »

Hm...If I got a spare vampire caught in a cage trap and assigned him to a chain before he could be freed, then forbade the chain...could I get a chained-up vampire, possibly for a silk farm?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 12:18:22 am »

I have a vampire currently spending 804 days in prison for his 4 murders. Last time he was released, he came out "ecstatic"... after 402 days in prison you're still happy as all hell? must be a bloody good chain. I'm thinking I'll keep him there just in case my fortress has a little too much !!FUN!!
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 12:19:52 am »

I make a seperate fort, I wont kill a hardworking citizen just because a god got mad at them.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 03:50:24 pm »

Hm...If I got a spare vampire caught in a cage trap and assigned him to a chain before he could be freed, then forbade the chain...could I get a chained-up vampire, possibly for a silk farm?
Get a minecart and stockpile and you could build an autocollecting silk farm?  :D  Drop the gates to get the spider to fire silk, dwarf freaks out, gates raise and he proceeds to dump silk into the minecart and push it to the looms.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 04:09:47 pm »

I make a seperate fort, I wont kill a hardworking citizen just because a god got mad at them.

Its things like this that make us distrust kobolds.
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 05:00:10 pm »

How do you feed them children??? Also, how do you seal them off? But how do you feed them children?
Pages: [1] 2