Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My First Werebeast  (Read 3186 times)

Rievan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
My First Werebeast
« on: June 05, 2012, 03:23:13 pm »

Picked up the game again for the first time in a while (the last version I played properly was 40d) so I am currently enjoying all the new shiny ways to die... like goblins with cave dragons for pets :(. Today I discovered were-things, more specifically I discovered this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He turned up, mauled a nearby dwarf, turned into one himself, and ran away. I didn't manage to catch him, alas.

Now, maybe they're not the dwarf-eating horrors they used to be (can you actually get werecarp?) but I'm still pretty awe-struck. The question is what to do with the injured dwarf. I assume I need to keep a pretty careful eye on him? As useful as he is, the idea of keeping him in a pit and throwing in the aforementioned goblins is VERY appealing.

That said, is there any reason I shouldn't just leave him? It might get a bit bloody, but I can't imagine many sweeter things than a fortress populated entirely by wereelephants (if such a thing is possible?)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: My First Werebeast
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 03:58:32 pm »

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Yes.

Yes yes.

Yes.

Ye.

Ah.

Combat logs please.

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 04:04:54 pm »

I've had a Wereraccoon coming in today. It charged one of my dwarfes and before it arrived it changed to a friendly goblin, leaving the place by foot and getting trapped in a cage trap. Damn I was lucky I guess.

Now I'll check what I can do with a pit and his goblin friends, may be interesting to see what happens at transformation.

... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 04:26:02 pm »

You'd think a were raccoon would be able to get out of the cage with no problems.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 04:34:59 pm »

Well, it's hard to escape from a separate dimension, even for a raccoon. Maybe cthulhu could help him?
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 05:30:33 pm »

Were-elephant!? Weaponize it! Armok demands it!

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 05:32:52 pm »

Were-elephant!? Weaponize it! Armok demands it!
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 05:41:00 pm »

Pit fight, Pit fight, Pit fight, Pit fight, Pit fight, Pit fight, Pit fight, Pit fight, Pit fight, Pit fight.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 05:54:24 pm »

"What do I do with a wereelaphamt?"..... Oh my god..... Get away from me! *report abuse*. Joking. Now, in case you don't know, a dorf bit by a werecreature will become that werecreature in the full moon. The epic part is when they do so, they regen all their health, even lost limes. Now, how to weponize. There are 2 ways. 1 is more risky, but cooler. What you do is make an arena, put some food in it, and be sure it links to the outside somehow. Then feed him goblins, armed or unarmed, to train him in unarmed combat for when he changes back. Now when dem goblins come, seal your base, wait for a full moon, release the beast, profit. The second is the same, but instead of a arena, make a 1 block hole with food in it. Put your weredude in it and feed it animals you don't want (tame animals lash out at random when confined). Same as last time, link up to outside, Goblins come, full moon, pull the lever.        There is a different use for werecreatures that I came up with, and it's healthcare. Say Urist McLegendary brakes his spine. Get him to get bit by the werecreature on a full moon, kill the werecreature before he kills Urist McLegendary, then, next full moon, Urist McLegendary is all better! if another Urist McLegendary gets hurt, use Urist McLegendarywerecreature to werecreaturify him. The only downside is the Urist McLegendarys are now cursed as werecreature forever, but at least tsentient dead!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 05:57:46 pm by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 06:59:09 pm »

Apart from the few werebeasts that couldn't even make it to my defenses before turning tail and running due to full moon disappearing; my first real werebeast was a werebear. Which got knocked unconscious after the first hit by one of my ferric elves before getting chopped to pieces and turning into an artifact werebear leather backpack.

Someone should make a table out of his bones or something, you know recycling. Also, eating it's meat doesn't make anyone werebears. I think.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 08:59:39 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't think infecting goblins is a good idea but... meh, all the more bloodshed is good :P
Plus, Lycan-Dwarfs are still Dwarves. A 1x1 hole is enough to drive the Dwarf insane, and an insane Were-elephant Dwarf spells destruction of your prized weapon. And as for the tame animals and what have you idea, the were dwarf will kill everything that is not one of it's kind when it has transformed.
As for the goblin pitting idea, sure it'd be all nice and well, and you won't get many lashers capable of taking down a monstrous slab of humanoid elephant muscle, but once it's transformed back, let's just say we all know naked hairy midgets explode very easily.
And we want to ensure the maximum amount of bloodshed for this rare occasion.
Regarding the healthcare part, this is still an elephant. Generally every type of were-creature is deadly in it's were-state, and a paralyzed Dwarf will not stand a chance of fighting it off, nor escaping.

I propose, if this Dwarf has indeed been infected, that you begin raising your first squad of Lycanthropes.
And lycanthrope elephants nonetheless.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 09:38:11 pm »

To be honest,

YOU ARE GOING TO DIE

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 10:13:23 pm »

YOU ARE GOING TO DIE
Unless you do something stupid glorious, nothing much is going to happen. I occasionally allow my Were-Dwarves to escape, and they linger about doing their normal jobs without causing harm to anyone (that said, it's not the first time a were-dwarf or two has been shot in the head. It never seems to kill them, even with masterwork steel bolts, I count myself lucky that no on duty Dwarves happen to be around them when they escape).
With that in mind, I would suggest you invest in some inanuamania, and place several hundred doors everywhere, so in the event of an outbreak you can safely contain your civilians in a room with the elephant of doom.