Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Diablo 2 style of game ..  (Read 4498 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 2 style of game ..
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2012, 12:31:08 am »

-snip-

I should clarify, I didn't mean the game was boring or cliche really, and I did enjoy building a group instead of building 1 toon for a change. When I said unoriginal, I meant the base classes don't really do much in the way of new stuff. Fighters are Sword n Board, dual-wield, 2-hander. Nature mages heal and buff. The extras always felt like extra; I couldn't remove the healer to make an ice mage, for instance. Their hybrids were interesting, but always felt a bit short of a pure class to me (exception: Fist of Stone tanking with a few points in ranger dodge. 94+% resist everything, block the rest.)

I see what you're talking about with the swarming enemies, and in a game with a party, they worked well enough. The problem came much later, when every single room was Taunt, Use Mage Nuke, Repeat. I didn't feel powerful so much as the enemy never seemed threatening. I'd argue the other way, that if a character has to put a bit more effort into survival, it makes me feel more skilled when I can pull it off. Smaller groups that take interesting tactics feel, to me, more powerful than swarms of 1-shot fodder.

As far as skill-building goes, I'm greatly enjoying Titan Quest's pick-and-choose model. That could just be me though, as I enjoy experimentation and discovery instead of checking a cookie-cutter guide and following it. Sorry to go on a tangent here, but I couldn't resist talking meta-ARPG theory.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 2 style of game ..
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2012, 01:37:32 am »

I'd vouch for Sacred 2 and Dungeon Siege 2. They're light in story but heavy on hack-and-slash.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)
Pages: 1 2 [3]