Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Diablo 2 style of game ..  (Read 4495 times)

ColdSpiral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 2 style of game ..
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 04:26:31 am »

The hilariously titled Divine Divinity is actually fairly clever on the RPG side of things, but still has that hack/slash/loot business you want. It runs well on modern systems and even adapts to widescreen resolutions (unlike a certain Blizzard game), so it still looks better than those screens might suggest. Playing a ranger I found it fairly difficult at the start - constantly having to run like hell. Great game. Do it.
No idea what the sequel, Beyond Divinity, is like, but it exists.

Dropping the isometric perspective, the most recent game in the series, Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga is quite good as a hack-and-slash, though it lacks some of the depth of modern RPGs - think of it as a Diablolike zoomed in, rather than a compeditor to Elder Scrolls or Dragon Age, and you'll be fine. It got a bit of bad press, but I really enjoyed it. Just be sure to get this bundled edition, rather than the original & expansion standalones, as it was a botched release and they didn't play well together. Non-spoiler: You can turn into a dragon. Really. Also, this is the upcoming spinoff... The dragons wear jetpacks... I'm not even kidding.

There's also Silverfall and its expansion. The expansion is excellent as, amongst other things, it overhauls the UI from atrocious to decent. Open-classed party-based ARPG with a steampunk setting and a magic/nature vs tech/industry debate (but with no clear good/bad dichotomy, just fundamentalists on both sides) that your character will pretty much swing the balance of. Steam-powered goblin dragon tanks. What's not to like?

Frostbite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 08:26:09 am »

Lot of good suggestions

When i said i would pick up torchlight you can see i mean T2 , I listed i already had torchlight before..-.-
I have and beat borderlands many many times with friends on different classes and stuff so i rather not play that anymore.
I got Titan quest and would play it if i could find a good partner to go though the game with , none of my friends own it

Not sure i could run dead island on my computer , looks like a style of game i want but if i could run that i think i would own skyrim by now and not be having this issue hehe

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 12:18:49 pm »

Posting to watch, as this is relevant to my interests, but I have nothing to add at the moment, other than that there is a decent diablo-like, if you will, that is shareware, but I don't remember its name so that's about as helpful as a half-drowned cat. Something Shadow or other. I'll see if I can find it later.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 01:24:28 pm »

While they're not multiplayer and both tend to lack somewhat in graphical polish, Depths of Peril and Hinterland are both good D2/Action RPGs with a bit of a twist.

Hinterland has you managing a small village on the edge of a harsh, monster-ridden frontier. You'll have to clear monsters out, gather gold, hire various villagers who you can also take with you monster hunting. You also have occasional requests from the king. "Please provide x amount of food/gold by y days from now." The combat is somewhat bland except for the fact that you can bring along up to three villagers in a party who will fight beside you and level up(while neglecting their village duties.), might become awesome fighters, might run away as cowards, or they might die. Various types of villagers are available, from simple farmers to create food, craftsmen to create items or sell things for gold, all the way up to the more expensive priests and necromancers who will provide magical bonuses. The goal is somewhat simple, just clear out the whole map without being overrun yourself. Each map is randomized somewhat, although your village is always in one corner with the difficulty pretty much in a gradient to the opposite corner. Also a good number of classes to choose from to start, most with a unique perk, some more focused on management, others more on combat. One or two are pretty much completely weak, having to depend almost entirely on villager party members to kill anything.

Depths of Peril is definitely a diablo-like, but the twist this time is you're managing a clan in a village full of other clans. While it's not multiplayer, there's definitely competition here, including diplomacy. Clans can trade, form alliances, even party with each other to achieve goals. But the ultimate goal is to defeat all of the other clans in the village which is achieved by an all out attack on their headquarters, focusing on a crystal which represents the life force of the clan. Again, not much to look at, but plenty of random looting and random quests as well. Even an interesting persistant structure of the quests. You don't have to accept a quest, but say, you didn't kill that weakling little goblin who was gathering a few friends and going around causing minor trouble? Well, say an hour or so later, it comes back to bite you in the butt when the goblin is suddenly a LOT stronger and has a whole army now and about to attack the village. You also have to hire clan mates. You're limited to partying with one at a time, except during the clan v clan battles. Only four classes here to choose from, but they're pretty unique in the way they're played. Warrior, Rogue, Cleric, or Mage each have a different play style and shortcomings which you'll have to overcome with well equipped party members. My only real complaint is that the battlefield can seem kind of cluttered sometimes. Especially when you get down into the dungeons, those places tend to be absolute mazes and because of the way the walls are drawn, it's not always obvious where an open path is. Still, I've had my share of fun with the game, and if you can find it for a good price, definitely worth it.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 01:28:57 pm »

I second Titan Quest which is on sale at Steam today for the game and expansion for $4.99

I should also point out the new dungeon crawl with loot whoring called Hack, Slash, Loot.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2012, 01:33:54 pm »

I second Titan Quest which is on sale at Steam today for the game and expansion for $4.99

Thanks for the heads up, I'd never have seen it otherwise; I forget to check sales all the time.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2012, 01:57:29 pm »

Median XL is a great mod for Diablo 2. Titan quest was great fun. You could check out Din's curse and the expansion demon war. kind of similar game with a large random element from the same people that made depths of peril and have a lot in common with what one as well.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Frostbite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2012, 03:05:32 pm »

Well message me if any of you guys want to play titan quest immortal throne , i wouldn't mind having a game to look forward

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2012, 05:21:19 pm »

shadowflare was the game I was thinking of. there's multiple "episodes". The first one is free, but the others are15 bucks each or you can grab all of them for forty bucks. Never got farther than the free one, but it's decently long and I enjoyed it. Here's the link: http://www.shadowflare.us/download.htm
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2012, 05:29:04 pm »

Also forgot to metion: I would avoid Dungeon Siege 1, which was a bit shallow and boring.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 08:46:15 pm »

Also forgot to metion: I would avoid Dungeon Siege 1, which was a bit shallow and boring.
Heh. i liked 1 more than 2, but it has aged poorly so i wouldnt recommend it anyway.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2012, 10:37:26 pm »

Dungeon Siege 1 is like Diablo 2, except you don't frantically click on everything.  Which was the fun of Diablo 2.  I never played any other Dungeon Siege.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2012, 05:05:24 am »

Dungeon Siege 1 wasn't terrible except higher-level play kind of negated several character building choices. You just couldn't skill up high enough in multiple skills to make hybrids as effective as pures. It was also far, FAR too big to navigate on foot.

DS2 was still somewhat skill-based, but used a class-based leveling system. Actions taken in combat gave a character experience in one of 4 skill trees. Each skill tree had 3 paths. Points could be put into any class at any level, as long as the character had enough experience as that class. Example: sword + board fighter can use a bow long enough to get level 5 ranger, and put points into ranger's dodge skill.

I thought DS2 was more engaging, because instead of one character you get a party of 4 to 6 to develop simultaneously. Multiclassing combined with 12 talent lines (18 in the expansion) added a ton of variety and tactical richness. Expansion classes were interesting. I liked the warrior/nature mages, but couldn't do much with the ranger/combat mage hybrids, mainly due to a preference for crossbows over thrown weapons. All in all, interesting if not terribly original game.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2012, 08:41:58 am »

Well, if you don't mind turn based gameplay try Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

Very rewarding (loot wise) and VERY hard :)

You can play it directly in your browser too
http://tiles.crawl.develz.org

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2012, 09:45:34 pm »

All in all, interesting if not terribly original game.

Just to chime in with my irrelevant opinion:

I actually thought DS2 was pretty original. It took the concept of the loot-whore ARPG and gave you a party that you could develop as you like and massive screen-sweeping skills with high mob density. The combat in DS2 is exactly what I hope to see again in more ARPGs: high enemy density and powerful multi-target skills so you truly feel like a juggernaut as you sweep evil from the world. Challenge can be maintained with Median's style of elites (most of them being somewhat deadly if you don't at least move frequently) and uberquests/level challenges. These days, ARPGs seem to try to keep a challenge throughout the game by keeping the groups of enemies small (almost certainly a side effect of being heavy graphics-wise). Unfortunately, the effect is that the player never really feels all that powerful. Whether one way or the other makes for better gameplay is probably a matter of debate and philosophy.

I also felt the world/background and story was fairly decent, fairly unique for a fantasy world. But then, I guess, Diablo is also fairly unique in terms of the lore of the world (even if it is loosely based on heaven/hell), and it is only because Diablo is popular that it seems standard fare. Likewise, the story in DS2 isn't common - you don't even win, you play right into the bad guy's hands by the end, though I don't recall how it plays out further in the expansion. Games could use more of that sort of dark ending, just for some variety. I guess Diablo 2 has become that somewhat, but more out of retcon than out of how the actual game ended.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 09:47:59 pm by Niveras »
Pages: 1 [2] 3