Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Diablo 2 style of game ..  (Read 4496 times)

Frostbite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Diablo 2 style of game ..
« on: January 23, 2012, 10:27:47 pm »

I don't know why but i been on a loot whore style of game play craving and i don't know what to do about it ..i want a diablo style game where you skill up/ level up and get dropped loot from mobs ..

Something balls hard would be great too..

Anyone know of a good game that might be cheap or free .. Mutiplayer would be a HUGE plus

I have diablo 2 but don't feel like playing that one anymore
Titan quest/ immortal throne i would want a friend to play with and no one i knows owns this game
torchlight ..good game but again it feels shallow and empty with no one else to share fun times with
dungeon defenders- didnt get much into this game everyone i know is already so high level -.-

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 2 style of game ..
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 10:28:46 pm »

Path of Exile, when it comes out of beta.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 10:38:25 pm »

There are a couple of hard D2 mods, if you're interested in that.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 11:28:17 pm »

Torchlight 2 is coming out probably this year. It'll have co-op and generally be less boring.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 11:44:20 pm »

If you cant find anything, I'm with Bouchart. Download "Median XL" for Diablo 2. If you NEED multiplayer, there is a server called "Diablo 2 Maniacs" that has a server just for Median XL with a lot of players. Google that shit.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 12:24:26 am by Rex_Nex »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 11:47:07 pm »

Sacred was pretty good for the small amount of time I spent messing around with it. Presumably Sacred 2 was similar. Both had multiplayer, but I have no idea what the official sever thing was like or if they still exist or what.

Incidentally, D2 is often thought of as an extremely graphical, mainstream roguelike, so you could try looking up some of those if by "balls hard" you mean you're fine with "death is inevitable, permanent, and quite possibly caused by a lone badger."

In related news, Hack Slash Crawl is more or less a flash game roguelike, and has a fair amount in common with a D2 hardcore run. It's also relatively quick for each run, at least until you're fairly good at it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 11:51:14 pm »

Median XL is a good mod, easy to install, and insanely difficult (even had the difficulty ramped up in a recent patch).
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Frostbite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 01:49:45 am »

Rather not install d2 anymore and i plan on getting torchlight asap .that and guildwars 2

i signed up for the beta of path of exile and it seems like an ok game ..kinda bland

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 01:52:33 am »

i plan on getting torchlight asap .

torchlight ..good game but again it feels shallow and empty with no one else to share fun times with e i know is already so high level -.-

???

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 02:07:00 am »

Fate is a very good Diablo 2 clone. Rather than gritty, dark graphics, it focuses on shiny, bright visuals that are very pleasing to the eye. It doesn't use a class system like the Diablo series does. It's free for, I believe, one gaming session, then $20 afterwards.

If you are opposed to forking over $20 USD, I am aware of (but do not condone ::)) at least one extra-legal method of acquiring said game.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
  • Floating weightless in a cavern.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 02:19:34 am »

Borderlands has delicious pseudo-randomized loot, leveling up, and multiplayer to boot. I played it solo most of the time, but it's also good with friends. There's also lots of content if you get the expansion packs.
In ancient times, men built wonders, laid claim to the stars, and sought to better themselves for the good of all.
But we are much wiser now.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 02:52:50 am »

Just a heads up, Sacred 2 is bugged to the point of being unplayable. The only way you can play it on a modern PC is if you have the expansion pack and use the community patch, or play it on a console. Incidentally the expansion pack isn't for sale in the US anymore. So glad I got it on Steam! (Really no I'm not glad at all)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 03:07:37 am »

Dead Island is similarly Diablo-ish, only with a first person shooter melee flavor. And zombies. Otherwise, it's Borderlands with a melee focus. And zombies.

Did I mention the zombies? Aside from the random loot and a few loosely linked quests in each area you're dragged around, it does have a very Diablo feel.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 03:16:28 am »

I was a big fan of Dungeon Siege 2 if you can find that for cheap. There's a multiplayer option, and (it's been a few years, forgive me if I'm wrong) I recall being able to control multiple party members, like a combat mage and ranger, while the other player controls the fighter/healer, or some such. There was also a 4-player option where each got 1 character, but only one of my friends played, so...

Also, Dungeon Defenders isn't hard to get a lot of levels in quickly, and the higher content can be very challenging, depending on your setup and style. Once I got past the low-difficulty stuff the game got much more interesting.

FATE is Torchlight with even less plot and no classes. Interesting diversion, but little true substance to alleviate the grind treadmill.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 03:31:48 am »

Titan Quest (and it's X-pack).

8 (9 with the xpack) classes that can (and should) be mixed and matched with each other.

Want a typical sociopath warrior with a shield?
Go War and Defense and watch the ragdolls fly.

Want a dude who will throw thunderbolts and cave in someones chest (and send him flying) with a proper shield bash at close range?
Do Storm and Defense.

Want a dude who shoots poison arrows and set's up traps?
Take Rogue + Hunting.

Quite a lot of flexibility there and the game becomes very chalenging at later dificulty levels.
And by challenging i mean bosses that can instakill you efter a small mistake.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: [1] 2 3