Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Little Creations thread.  (Read 5985 times)

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
Re: Little Creations thread.
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2011, 03:03:29 pm »

Here is my very first piece of pixel art that I've started working on.  The color on the tower is just a place holder, and the grass outside of the parking lot will have grass sticking up rather than just plain green.  I'm still not sure as to what to put in front of the tower.  When the details are done, people may be added and cars will be added.
Spoiler: Unfinished Pixel art (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 03:05:03 pm by jc6036 »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2011, 09:57:11 pm »

That gives me an idea for a forum game or collaboration we can work on that can be fun to do. Anyone want to build or run a pixel town?

If it turns into a forum game, we can always turn it into a game of Monopoly of sorts.

EDIT:
I already have something somewhat mocked up a long time ago. Never got around to adding places to it though. However, I have a good idea about how to run it, or at least keep track of properties. It uses a combination of MS-Paint and ASCII Paint. ASCII Paint to see what is what (or top-down map), and MS-Paint for the rest of the art.

That is all pretty much a general mock-up of how to run things, or keep things easy enough to tell apart.

I suppose having Excel running alongside (color-coded or labeled properties or something) for more detail work could also be used.

It can somewhat behave on very loose SimCity rules or something (infrastructure could be ignored, but residence and commerce and so forth could be factored in. Unless someone wants to be a dick about power/water supply or something). But if you want to add a building, you have to convince the city council and/or mayor to allow it to be built, unless it has already been designated for build (again, SimCity rules; use mini-map to designate as to not make things weird with the ISOmap). Players can also try to purchase rights to build taller or more extravagant structures as well, or something. Again, some of this could run on an RNG.

Inspiration for this idea sorta came from an apparently dead webcomic called ISOTown. The only evidence of it left I could find is a GIF someone made of it (beginning to 3/4 of the way through) and posted on YTMND.

http://isotown.ytmnd.com/

EDIT EDIT:
Thanks to a recent client of mine, which involves working with an architect, I figure, when it comes to designing isometric buildings and properties, why not use an isometric grid? Or at least adapt something like one for Paint? It doesn't have to be a line grid, a point grid will do just fine, and would be easier to cleanup before adding it and/or aligning it to the overall layout.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 08:22:56 pm by Itnetlolor »

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2011, 01:41:43 pm »

Ah, the good ol' isometric grid for drafting :) I always had the best results of anybody when using the isometric grid in my engineering class.  Except for circles and curves. Oh god circles and curves.
And the game looks like it could be fun.  It could really help me practice pixel art. . . but my internet is iffy at the moment, or else I would help you.  I still say go for it though.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2011, 01:52:08 pm »

I made a Chainmail mobius ball. 10 5/16 inch aluminum rings.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2011, 02:46:01 pm »

Eh, large-ish image, you may want to spoiler that.  Cool ball though, how long did it take to create?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2011, 02:49:14 pm »

10 minutes or so.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2011, 03:15:09 pm »

That's a nice outcome for so little time input, heh.
Good work.  I'm not reall sure what it's use is besides just being a good work of art, though. . .

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2011, 10:57:53 am »

@Itnetloler: I forgot to ask you how you made such a uniform 'dead grass and green grass' mix.
Also, my scene is getting close to finished, and now just needs some people and cars.
Spoiler: Pixel art (click to show/hide)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2011, 12:25:47 pm »

Apparently, there's a method in MSPaint (I have the Vista version) that allows you to also use what you cut out/select as a clone stamp tool (something like after selecting it, copy it, then paste it, move it into position, and then shift-click it to clone it across the board (if transparency, make sure to set it to transparent mode, and have the background color selected to punch it out)). I remember seeing something about it, and many other hidden features in MSP on some pages. I just made a nice clean pattern, and cloned it all over the area as a matte, and then drew the roads on top (or at least in a separate file and copy-pasted them).

Now if I could only open 2 separate instances of MSPaint, I can have a clipboard that I can use to build stuff in, and the platform I can put it in (IE- the ISOTown).

It can work for all sorts of things.

Shift+clicking does an auto-fire cloning, and CTRL+Clicking does single clone at the point of origin (so you can move the stamp elsewhere after cloning where you place it, as long as you don't accidentally un-select it). Great for cloning sprites and other modular pixel stuff. I think it only applies to copied stuff though. Helped me build the roads and such with little resource use on top of the grassland, as well as square buildings with even distribution, along with the textured windows and so on.

Actually, some of that is also how I made my kingdom in the old Fiefs/Feudalism forum game with such detail. Mine's Fortitudine et Prudentia. Made the farmlands and some of the towers and such lazily quick to get done. Especially evident with the fief's navy.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 12:42:43 pm by Itnetlolor »

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2011, 01:24:41 pm »

You can have two instances of Paint, you just have to open it multiple times from the Start menu/shortcut/.exe.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2011, 04:36:11 pm »

I made a piece of pixel art for haloween.  It took about an hour or so, and I think that it came out pretty good for being only my second piece.

Spoiler: Haloween Pixel Art (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]