Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]

Author Topic: The Metal Thread  (Read 22695 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Metal Thread
« Reply #285 on: July 02, 2011, 03:40:20 pm »

I'm probably not the best person to represent the genre, with not being what you call a "metalhead".
Still, I spent a lot of my time listening to the different generes of music and metal is a pretty big chapter in that book. So what I lack in information, I may make up with unbiasedness (what a nice word).

Nowadays I listen mostly to soundtracks and some classical music, but I'll try to share the bits off the top of my head.

I'd also like to mention, that I simpy enjoy the music and had no interest in the metal scene or the appearance of the artists.

The point I'm trying to make, is that metal doesn't have to be "grimdark", with incomprehensible growling and dissonant tunes, as the stereotype most people hold against it.

Eluveitie - Folk metal; Folk instruments nicely blending in with electric guitars. Some of their songs also feature an amazing female vocalist.
Na Regv Na
Slanias Song

Mind you, the first one is rather unusual, but the second one is a good example of the average course of this band.
They also have faster and more agressive ones, but I found those less appealing.

Soil - Alternative Metal; Their songs always feature a moving (the way I percieve it) chorus. Left a strong impression on me.
Unreal
Obsession

Korpiklaani - Folk metal; This time of a more cheerful sort.
Spring Dance
Misty Fields

Alestorm - Pirate Metal; Draws from folk metal and epic metal, with (mostly) cheerful pirate themes and fast pacing. Catchy and sing-along choruses.
Keelhauled
That Famous Ol' Spiced

Painkiller OST - Not really a band, but most of the tracks would classify as metal. The folloowing one would probably be Doom Metal. Quite atmospheric.
Bear me the Light

Might add some stuff later. New Metal bands for example.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 03:42:52 pm by Mindmaker »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: The Metal Thread
« Reply #286 on: July 02, 2011, 04:04:12 pm »

Well-written blurb on Embrace of the Endless Ocean.
I've linked it elsewhere, but the first part of Loke's Treachery: Hermod's Ride to Hel would probably be right up your alley.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY56TNzCZiU&feature=related
Also, violin rendition of The Pursuit of Vikings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgwpUgjeqW0
It's a bit choppy at parts, but otherwise nice.

Thanks.  I enjoyed those.

Amon Amarth isn't among my favorite metal bands, but I do love their style of guitar layering composition and thematic material.

I'm mostly a power/hero/progressive metal type person.  After Forever/Blind Guardian/van Canto/Ayreon/Epica/Nightwish/Iced Earth/etc

Edit:

Still the most emotionally charged series of songs I've ever heard.  Tracks 2, 3, and 4 on After Forever's Invisible Circles.  It's the story of a neglected child growing up to become a neglecting parent, and finally murdering her parents out of frustration at her inability to break the cycle.  The wonderful thing about it is it offers sympathy to all sides, acknowledging the individual struggles and conflicts of both parents and the child.  Yeah, I've probably linked them 2 or 18 times on these forums already.  I lose track of how much I've already promoted them to various groups of people.  It's never enough anyway :P

I still nearly shed a tear every time I hear the transition from child to mother in the middle of a sentence about their desire for freedom

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And of course this one sums up so much of my feelings about life in general

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 05:35:53 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]