Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20

Author Topic: The Metal Thread  (Read 22682 times)

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
The Metal Thread
« on: November 08, 2009, 06:19:13 am »

Mehtahl (or Metal, as it is better known) is a development of Rock Music that largely developed in England and the United States during the onrise of true headbangers from the classic styles still developing during the 1960s and 70s. If I could summarize anything about this genre of music, it's that it comes in a variety of 'flavors', and that Metal Will Never Die. (That and that you are most certainly NOT Ironman)

From Led Zepp to Black Sabbath, Queensryche and Judas Priest, Motörhead and Megadeth, Iron Maiden and Def Leppard, Pantera and Metallica, came the years of heavy metal music, thrash metal, and lead to the onrise of the unique subsets of music that one type of music leaped forth to the world from the main bread of the genre, Rock.

Metal is almost everywhere on earth, though it has never been 'in'. It was far from the black sheep in the family, just look at the Glam that developed from it. Universally, Metal has spoken of itself a variety of emotions, and delivered powerful messages. Anger, strife, hate, war, love, fear, melancholy, usually extremely powerful emotions and the messages born with this music were heavily seeded with them.

Now I know what you're thinking. How can I possibly know you listen to anything metal? "WorkerDrone, I don't like >so and so, this or that<" in one particular genre, but that's where things start getting 'flavorful'. I can tell you now, you listen to metal. Power Metal, Thrash Metal, Heavy Metal, Black Metal, Death Metal, Groove Metal, Glam Metal, Progressive Metal, Speed Metal, of course! Even Viking Metal. And various breeds of music with metal influence, possibly from multiple subgenres.

I guarantee you have listened to some form of music influenced by this genre somehow. Even classical music could be attributed to metal, at least in reverse, as there are obvious implementations of many forms of music, to make what we know today as the Heavy Metal music of the modern era.

There are possibly thousands of bands of this genre, all a variety of themselves, with different styling of their music in shape and form. Whether it be theatrical or musical in aforementioned form, or comical and dark in shape.

Metal will never die, and hopefully this thread won't die like the previous. It now has a firm topic. And that topic is metal.

Notes:

Vester gave me the go ahead to make this thread due in part to her thread being dead. I only did it because that previous thread wasn't actually about metal, but about suggesting Vester metal.

The topic specifically can be about any sort of metal, but you may not get into an argument about a person liking a sort of metal that you do not. The topic is very wide open, you can talk about albums being released, concerts you went to or want to go to, or general discussion about songs and so forth. Lots of movement space, as long as you are here to talk about metal.

I only have three rules; follow 'em or leave, very simple.

Talk about metal in your posts. Don't get off topic, please, go to a thread more appropriate for whatever other topic. Or PM.

Do not argue. At all. Civilly talk about something or don't mention it at all, I know a person's selection in music might aggravate you if you especially dislike a certain brand, but unless you are idling mentioning your dislike for a certain brand, attributed to an introductionary post, you are at fault.

Do not violate Forum Rules and Guidelines in any shape or form, you will be immediately reported. This is a given for any thread at all people, so just note that I will watch for violations Toady put into text himself, and I'm not TRYING to get you in trouble. It can happen in any thread, I'm just saying, don't dick around.

Post Example:

There's a upcoming Metallica concert in Anaheim I'm contemplating at the moment, and I do indeed want to go. The drive would be a pain in the ass, but for once I wouldn't have to make one of these trips alone, so it'd probably go off without a hitch.

Whatever the case, I just gotta be ready by December. It reminds me that I switched my 'thinking' music from Ride The Lightning to ...And Justice For All, about a week ago. Combined with whatever the fuck my shuffle brings me to, I've decided to just move it right on over to a mix from now on, I'm getting odd looks, sitting in my armchair, reading science fiction, blasting whatever loud music that comes up.

She's one to talk. I swear I heard Slayer coming from the bathroom. MY BATHROOM.

Though that's probably my imagination.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: The Metal Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 06:25:09 am »

Ahem: Speed Metal, Cruise Metal, Contemporary Metal, Power Metal, Progressive Metal, Hardcore Metal, Screamo, Thrash Metal, Heavy Metal, Black Metal, Death Metal, Industrial Metal, Punk Metal, Pop Metal, Rush Metal, Glam Metal, Groove Metal.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
Seriously, how many metal genres are there?

I put "We hate your music" on full blast when the cornfeds wanted to put on country music. Now they play nothing softer than ACDC.
That'll learn -em.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 06:32:35 am »

Seriously, how many metal genres are there?
There are more types of metal than obscure electronica genres, and that's saying something.

So let me get this out of the way...

DRAGONFORCE!!1!!!
/sarcasm

I've never really been into metal. One of my coworkers swears by buckethead and all sorts of obscure finnish groups and he scares me.  ::)
*cue picture of metal fan saying I'm a huge metal fan" to the actual metal fan here*

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 07:01:25 am »

Symphonic Metal, Folk Metal... so on. Yes. It's diverse as hell.

I listen to fairly old-school stuff, as well, leaning into hard rock. There's not much call for metal in the Philippines, unfortunately, and I think the last major metal band that played here was Metallica a few years ago. Which is pretty major, but still. It irritates me that metalcore is rising to prominence at the expense of more niche metal genres, but then again, that's why they're niche genres.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 07:07:48 am »

Just as a warning, I'm fairly sure you're going to get a barrage of posts comparing the relative merits of titanium and adamantine.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 07:14:42 am »

No, I will not, because the thread clearly and repeatedly labels the topic of discussion and the attributed "metal" for "music".

If people do so, they shall feel sore soon enough for their tomfoolery.

(Translation: I will be very. Very. Very. Unamused.)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 07:19:11 am »

My tastes in music are pretty diverse, and I must say, pretty eclectic, but it's always been built around a core of the heavy stuff. Metal is one of those few genres where going mainstream is one of the worst things you can do, and will make you universally hated by your original fanbase of hairy people wearing black shirts with dead people on. Most of my friends listen to either soft rock and funk, or if they listen to metal, it's mainstream nu-metal or metalcore trash or mega-cheesy hair metal. I think there's only two guys other than me who listen to the good stuff.
I listen to a lot of fairly well known stuff, obviously, like Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Metallica, Black Sabbath and Motorhead, but a lot of my stuff is less well known subgenre stuff. I love progressive metal (especially Opeth <3), the death metal that isn't just noise, doom metal, thrash, industrial, sludge doom, folk and Viking metal, stoner metal and a variety of silly subgenres. I hope that metal never, ever gets latched onto by the mainstream.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 07:47:47 am »

Power Metal is a guilty pleasure.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 08:45:24 am »

There are more types of metal than there are metal bands.

Anyway, I like metal, but I don't care much for most metal fans with their snobbish attitudes. "You listen to the obscure band X instead of the even more obscure band Y? Poser!".
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 08:57:50 am »

General elitist attitude, but I haven't actually met alot of 'Metal Fans' like that. Though I tell you through all of the concerts I've been to, and just the people I know, there are some...characters. The guy who works at the local music store for example. Real short guy, scruffy beard, maintains guitars and fixes amps and the like. Real cool guy, except he listens to a bunch of stuff I don't even know of. Always importing shit for bands I don't even bother searching for anymore.

I'll listen to anything but alot of the Death Metal garbage, and Power Metal is just ridiculous. Take Dragon Freaking Force for example. After you finish Through Flak And Shitstorm or whatever the song's name is, you notice that every other song sounds the same. This is probably common enough in power metal bands anyhow. I sure as hell know alot of the screaming pounding of the drums and screeching of the guitar death metal crap starts to sound all to familiar. Because the first sound is me slamming the door and getting the fuck outta there.

I like my metal heavy, but not a shooting range without ear protection.

Heh, also, Viking Metal is awesome. Some times it's the only thing to play when your slaughtering Elves and throwing their decapitated heads at their pointy eared poncy brethren.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 09:05:22 am »

General elitist attitude, but I haven't actually met alot of 'Metal Fans' like that. Though I tell you through all of the concerts I've been to, and just the people I know, there are some...characters. The guy who works at the local music store for example. Real short guy, scruffy beard, maintains guitars and fixes amps and the like. Real cool guy, except he listens to a bunch of stuff I don't even know of. Always importing shit for bands I don't even bother searching for anymore.

I'll listen to anything but alot of the Death Metal garbage, and Power Metal is just ridiculous. Take Dragon Freaking Force for example. After you finish Through Flak And Shitstorm or whatever the song's name is, you notice that every other song sounds the same. This is probably common enough in power metal bands anyhow. I sure as hell know alot of the screaming pounding of the drums and screeching of the guitar death metal crap starts to sound all to familiar. Because the first sound is me slamming the door and getting the fuck outta there.

Heh, also, Viking Metal is awesome. Some times it's the only thing to play when your slaughtering Elves and throwing their decapitated heads at their pointy eared poncy brethren.

Yes, there's something inherently awesome with vikings, transforming all metal which thematizes them into awesome.

Tır is awesome. Forget Hold the Heathen Hammer High, that's actually the weakest song on the By the Light of the Northern Star album IMO.

Ensiferum is awesome too. Strictly seen, it's not viking metal, there are few actual mythology based lyrics. But fuck that, I say, they have awesome lyrics about battle, (Battle Song, Into Battle), drinking, (One More Magic Potion), feelings in  non-emo way (Abandoned), and last but not at least, KICKING CHRISTIANS IN THEIR FUCKING ASS. (Treacherous Gods)
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 09:10:00 am »

I guess it's better where you live. You wouldn't believe how many dirty looks I got from metal fans here for saying my favourite metal band is Iron Maiden. I guess they're just too popular for them or something.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 09:30:01 am »

I'd have to agree, disliking a band because they happen to be a big name is a load of crap.

Ah well. Iron Maiden is about as awesome as it gets, so they miss out in the end.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 09:30:34 am »

I dunno, I'm partial to Sonata Arctica and Rhapsody meself. If you want songs about dragons done right, Rhapsody and anything Luca Turilli is associated with (sadly Rhapsody seems to have a thing for elves, come on - CHRISTOPHER LEE has a speaking part as one of their characters in some songs!). Sonata Arctica has amazing vocals and decent-to-awesome keyboards, more of a really melodic and pretty sound (although recently their sound is getting darker, with slightly more emphasis on the keyboards).

Dragonforce should be a nonentity, but goddammit, they're way more well-known than either SA or Rhapsody. I blame Guitar Hero. Power Quest is also bland, but what do you expect, with them being founded by former Dragonforce members. ::)
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 10:49:42 am »

A lot of power metal is pretty embarrassing, I'll admit.  There's some that isn't, though, but I think it would go more into progressive power metal than power metal.

Manticora comes to mind, they have a song about Cthulhu
Shoes...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20