Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20

Author Topic: The Metal Thread  (Read 22683 times)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Re: The Metal Thread
« Reply #255 on: July 01, 2011, 04:36:51 pm »

99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #256 on: July 01, 2011, 04:37:24 pm »

Found it on TVTropes. Found a few bands through it.

EDIT: Moar update. I'm probably going to do that for a while.

EDIT2: If anyone wants more stuff, drop me a PM, I'm always happy to spread metal around.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 04:50:53 pm by Simmura McCrea »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 01, 2011, 04:56:05 pm »

So how exactly does one define metal?  I understand that you might call it a "wide genre", but it seems like it's becoming a somewhat meaningless tag.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #258 on: July 01, 2011, 04:57:52 pm »

It's fairly subjective, from what I see. In general, though, distorted guitars and a large kit, specifically two bass drums, seems to be standard.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #259 on: July 01, 2011, 05:05:13 pm »

So how exactly does one define metal?  I understand that you might call it a "wide genre", but it seems like it's becoming a somewhat meaningless tag.

Consider it the same way you consider Evolution, the genre has evolved to many different things, but instead of making tons of new names, these new diversions have simple gotten a prefix, then more evolving have happened, new prefixes, and so on.

And the "metal" part has in large part dissappeare from many genres and is more of a subculture now, than an actual genre.

It's normal to just say Doom, Black, Death and people know what I'm talking about in the subculture.

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 01, 2011, 05:06:25 pm »

Map of metal - http://www.mapofmetal.com/#/home

Found Kyuss ( <--- my avatar ) in stoner metal, i'm happy. Tough I prefer to tag them stoner rock, or simply hard rock.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #261 on: July 01, 2011, 05:38:31 pm »

From what I've seen, stoner metal = stoner rock.

EDIT: Even more added for Soli. Pretty sure it's my longest post.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 05:52:48 pm by Simmura McCrea »

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 01, 2011, 05:58:01 pm »

From what I've seen, stoner metal = stoner rock.

EDIT: Even more added for Soli. Pretty sure it's my longest post.
Yeah, some call it stoner metal and some stoner rock. I prefer stoner rock in kyuss' case because they played a sort of psychedelic hard rock rather than metal, but, yeah, it's just a tag  :)
I'm hoping to see a complete reunion, with josh homme coming back from queens of the stone age.

EDIT: I see you put sunn o))) on your list. I also like Earth very much, the fathers of drone metal (Seven angels).
If you have to put a megadeth song, "Holy wars... the punishment due" is better than everithing else, in my opinion. (The videoclip is ugly, I know)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 06:07:57 pm by Drevlin »

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #263 on: July 01, 2011, 06:06:06 pm »

Just found an analysis of one of the main riffs of a Meshuggah song and the first 3 minutes of another one. It's... um... big. And I don't understand most of it. It's here if you're curious or into music theory.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 01, 2011, 06:23:08 pm »

Neat.  Metal thread.

I like metal because it doesn't follow rigid song structures like most genres.  Songs tend to evolve and really try to tell a story (often with a lot of emotional power and complexity) instead of just repeating something catchy for a couple minutes.  I also like that metal is, in fact, very very structured, but usually complex enough that it takes a little time to pick apart what's going on.  Maybe that isn't for everyone, but I like music that gives my mind something to pick apart and understand.  It gives me extra reason to listen to it more than once.

Here's my evidence against the preconceived notion of metal being unstructured noise.

Amon Amarth was mentioned recently.  Yeah, it seems like a lot of noise and growling at first (and I am the type that generally doesn't like growling).  But listen to this song.  It probably sounds like a bunch of loud guitars punching a rhythm while someone growls or screams in a feral tone incomprehensibly.  Now listen to this piano version.  The melody is definitely there.  Not a bunch of noise.  I personally love how the song feels like a journey.  The whole thing sticks with a sort of motif that feels very coherent throughout, but is always subtly changing as well.  It's powerful, but not without complexity.  The growling... well I prefer things to be actually sung, but I do think the style fits the song.  It's about a guy who has just been freed from slavery, sets out on a ship to head home as a free man, encounters a storm that damages the ship and throws him overboard where he drowns.  I love how the song progresses from hope to adventure to panic to despair.

Spoiler: Lyrics (click to show/hide)

For proof that the genre can be just as uplifting as it can be a downer, here's one about the power of simple acts of kindness sung by my absolute favorite vocalist.  Here's my favorite performance by her, where she flawlessly blends two styles of vocals in order to play two characters in a story.  There's some incredible talent in metal.  Yes, I know the videos are crappy :P

And since it hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet - van Canto - the world's only a capella metal band.  The most impressive a capella project I've ever seen.  They even have a lead guitar vocalist who does solos and sounds convincing.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #265 on: July 01, 2011, 06:35:29 pm »

Amon Amarth was mentioned recently.  Yeah, it seems like a lot of noise and growling at first (and I am the type that generally doesn't like growling).  But listen to this song.  It probably sounds like a bunch of loud guitars punching a rhythm while someone growls or screams in a feral tone incomprehensibly.  Now listen to this piano version.  The melody is definitely there.  Not a bunch of noise.  I personally love how the song feels like a journey.  The whole thing sticks with a sort of motif that feels very coherent throughout, but is always subtly changing as well.  It's powerful, but not without complexity.  The growling... well I prefer things to be actually sung, but I do think the style fits the song.  It's about a guy who has just been freed from slavery, sets out on a ship to head home as a free man, encounters a storm that damages the ship and throws him overboard where he drowns.  I love how the song progresses from hope to adventure to panic to despair.
HOLY

I think I love you man. Loving that version.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 02, 2011, 09:12:27 am »

METAL FOR THE METAL THREAD!

Black Sabbath kicks arse. And the song makes the "ALL METAHL IS JUST SCREEMING!111!" argument completely useless.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 09:44:32 am by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 02, 2011, 09:51:49 am »

Black Sabbath is, indeed, amazing.
Mostly for being (proto) doom metal.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 02, 2011, 10:55:53 am »

Apparently the map of metal only counts the light stuff as progressive metal (Dream Theater and the like). ._. But...but I love my Gojira and my Opeth, and my Meshuggah...
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 02, 2011, 10:57:34 am »

Meshuggah is under Djent, far right.
Don't remember seeing the others, but Opeth might be there somewhere.

Just found Gojira.
Tech Death.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20