Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I've finally struck cotton candy...  (Read 4857 times)

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I've finally struck cotton candy...
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 02:39:31 am »

Usually making addy weapons and armor gets you seiged if theres anything to seige you.  The created wealth is crazy

The more to kill
don't have the pop. requirement though :(
only have 17 dorfs, and IIRC, ambushes start at 60. seiges  at 100.

I've had ambushes with as small as 40 and sieges along with megabeasts are 80 or a bit less. At least that's what I recalls from playing experience, ambushes depends far more on wealth production. Siege size's affected by wealth production, but they don't comes unless you're big enough  :D
ah, right. ty for clearing that up.
will magma help?
I played a lot with little (15-20 dwarves and no immigrants) enclosed forts and i definitely can say that you will get ambushes, and as many as 4-5 squads per time. No sieges though unless you kill some human diplomats, and no Megabeasts. FB's will keep coming.
Adamantine helps attracting ambushes, but it's not mandatory - you will be ambushed no matter what.
Adamantine is mined completely safely if you stick to 2 rules:
1. If a wall is less than 4 tiles thick, it's safe.
2. If a tile if 3 or more tiles away from a 4*4 pillar to the up or to the down, it's safe - that's because a tube can only shift 1 tile to side per 1 z-level.
This is tons, great tons of adamantine without any danger at all. add in suicide miner missions and repeated fortification carving and that's another ton of adamantine without any danger except for FPS.
The only thing that may really stop one from using adamantine is being too greedy to let your Proficient armoursmith waste the precious metal for no-quality armour.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 03:01:52 am »

1. Playing as a elf means no martial trance. Martial trance is what makes dwarves so godly, without it you aren't nearly as effective.

2. You only have to meet one of the requirements in order to start getting attacked; if you meet the wealth requirement, you can sieged with only one dwarf.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 01:31:32 pm »

2. You only have to meet one of the requirements in order to start getting attacked; if you meet the wealth requirement, you can sieged with only one dwarf.
AFAIK not true. You must achieve 80 dorfs to start getting sieges. Note that after hitting this mark you can lower your population and you will still get sieges.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.
Pages: 1 [2]