Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I've finally struck cotton candy...  (Read 4859 times)

greatorder

I've finally struck cotton candy...
« on: June 25, 2011, 01:31:19 pm »

I know about it's benefits.
and side effects.
but I'm not sure whether I want my first succesful fort to become food for the clowns.
seriously, I want to know whether or not I should go ahead. and don't say yes because I'll get clowned. because I'm not sure if a cotton candy military is worth the possibility of unleashing the circus...

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I've finally struck cotton candy...
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 01:33:55 pm »

DO EEEEEEEEET!

In all seriousness though, you can mine candy in complete safety if your smart about it. Just mine all the way around the stuff then dig out where it'd be impossible for a tube to be. In other words, anywhere where there is smaller than a 2x2 block.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 01:38:41 pm »

OIr you can mine out a small area, smooth the cotton candy, carve fortifications out of it, and if it doesn't have a tube behind it, mine it.

Repeat.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 01:51:06 pm »

Things can shoot through fortifications... if they can shoot. Most clowns can't, and besides that, they won't rush you if they can't path to you. I have heard that some clowns, like those made of gasses, can path through fortifications, but I doubt it, and even if they can, mistform creatures are extremely fragile and not very threatening.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 01:52:06 pm »

It doesn't matter. As soon as you reveal the circus, your FPS will drop to zero, which is the only real reason to avoid popping the clown bubble in the first place.

If you want to be totally secure, build a foolproof trap layer and route all candy traffic through it. Sterilize everything. Proceed to contract diseases from the massive amounts of spun sugar you will be consuming.

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 01:52:36 pm »

Rig the entrance to the Candy Mines to collapse. In case of Unfortunate Incident, pull the lever and re-seal the ancient evil.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 01:59:24 pm »

It doesn't matter. As soon as you reveal the circus, your FPS will drop to zero, which is the only real reason to avoid popping the clown bubble in the first place.

If you want to be totally secure, build a foolproof trap layer and route all candy traffic through it. Sterilize everything. Proceed to contract diseases from the massive amounts of spun sugar you will be consuming.
Your FPS drops because all of the clowns are BUILDINGDESTROYER:2s, each of them paths to every single destructible building on a regular basis, and there are a lot of them. You get the same FPS drop if you've got a sieging race with that tag. However, if they can't path to destroyable buildings, they don't, and the FPS drop disappears. If you seal the path to the depths with a bridge or wall, your FPS will return to pre-HFS levels.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 02:03:16 pm »

While they are TRAPAVOID, they aren't hundreds-of-repeating-spikesAVOID. Set up a long hallway full of spike traps, with a lever (ALWAYS MANNED) set on repeat. This is a bit of a cheat, though, depending on how you look at it. No more than a danger-room-trained military assaulting the clowns, though.

And if you open it up, but seal it up or otherwise don't let them out, there's no major impact on FPS. I do this somewhat frequently.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 02:04:33 pm »

One option is to wall in a miner with a few levels of mason above the adamantine before having them channel down into the vein.

If it opens up a tube to Hell, then have that dwarf build a floor over the hole. Make sure that the dwarf is isolated though so some other mason doesn't take the job; having a few levels in masonry also means that there won't be a slight delay between the job being ordered and the dwarf realizing that they are allowed to do that now. You could always have a hatch down there to cover the channel as well, but floors seem a little less cheap.

Exposing the tube actually makes mining the vein easier after the initial drop in FPS because you can now see the entire tube and can safely dig out around it.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 02:47:45 pm »

Make sure it's all masterwork/artifact.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 04:38:06 pm »

then again, I'm controlling the elf, so it'll be a dwarf in all but body.

Which means you'll suffer from frequent hangovers.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 04:40:52 pm »

Usually making addy weapons and armor gets you seiged if theres anything to seige you.  The created wealth is crazy
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

TheeBaconman

• Bay Watcher
  • Topics normally misunderstood. Dabbling worder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 04:43:08 pm »

Usually making addy weapons and armor gets you seiged if theres anything to seige you.  The created wealth is crazy

The more to kill
"A stupid is, a stupid dies." -Tribes 2

Think of the children?!
You sick freak.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 02:20:58 am »

The more to kill
don't have the pop. requirement though :(
only have 17 dorfs, and IIRC, ambushes start at 60. seiges  at 100.

Wait for the dorfs to breed. See how high you can get.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 03:26:25 am »

The more to kill
don't have the pop. requirement though :(
only have 17 dorfs, and IIRC, ambushes start at 60. seiges  at 100.

I've had ambushes with as small as 40 and sieges along with megabeasts are 80 or a bit less. At least that's what I recalls from playing experience, ambushes depends far more on wealth production. Siege size's affected by wealth production, but they don't comes unless you're big enough  :D
Pages: [1] 2