Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Animal cruelty?  (Read 2702 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Animal cruelty?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 12:20:14 pm »

Heh! Seems im preaching to the choir on this one.

But seriously, I never expected the kind of reaction I get from non DF players that I do. Directed attacks make immersion so much better IMO!

Toady needs to implement a ingame gold->real life gold reaction.. Or maybe we could mod it.. That'll be sure to get people queing up to download and play this awesome game :P Ehh screw em, this game rocks with or without them.
uhh  I think you pretty much made dwarf fortress sound like an animal slaughtering game than just a fantasy role playing one with a roguelike added in.
I think if you shown your friends any other RL it's not that different than DF Adventure mode(the RL with precision targeting ).
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 09:14:43 pm »

Or show them a slaughterhouse, and explain how your slaughter of the lion was, in fact, perfectly humane and in keeping with society's norms, and THEY are the weird ones for not wanting a bite of your tasty lion steaks!
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 02:13:17 am »

uhh  I think you pretty much made dwarf fortress sound like an animal slaughtering game than just a fantasy role playing one with a roguelike added in.
I think if you shown your friends any other RL it's not that different than DF Adventure mode(the RL with precision targeting ).

Nah, this isn't the only way I have described DF, just one of the more recent additions that i've described with entusiasm lately. Seems I have a tough crowd to please in my parts. Although good idea, maybe I should show them a slaughterhouse DF mode style!

Directed attacks and limb/organ damage is so much more interesting than the typical RL bash an NPC with your weapons makes the HP drop some amount until HP reaches 0..
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 04:36:10 pm »

Nah, this isn't the only way I have described DF, just one of the more recent additions that i've described with entusiasm lately. Seems I have a tough crowd to please in my parts. Although good idea, maybe I should show them a slaughterhouse DF mode style!

Directed attacks and limb/organ damage is so much more interesting than the typical RL bash an NPC with your weapons makes the HP drop some amount until HP reaches 0..
there are RL's that don't have hp to zero... or in "DF" health of vital area to level 15.
just that I think it best to walk them into the game... I could be wrong and the friends you have are not the gore lovers which then you should have just said "all what you did was optional and you could have just shoot the lion in the head or stab it slightly or ran go behind a tree and stealth travel out of that live or death encounter" also talk about how many times you died also helps.
"body swapping and YOU!"

TheDeathMind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 05:53:39 pm »

Is it bad that I decided to just throw food at a pack of wolves that attacked me as I was sleeping? Of course, I killed all of the wolves once I ran out of food with my hammer after, although a few did suffocate before I ran out.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
wooden Elf-lock Chesty things
On the plus side, he spotted a adamantine vein before he melted completely.
Urist: Noooooooooo! It buuuuuuuuuuuuuurns! ... Waitasecond! HEY GUYS! THERE'S ADAMANTINE OVER THERE! PRAISE BE THE MINERS! *sizzle*

em312s0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 12:00:08 am »

Throw fluffy wamblers at their faces and watch as their heads explode in gore...that or find new friends

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 12:07:07 am »

You should have carried more food.

A-Dwarf-Fortress-player-who-is-a-vegetarian's solution to the starving wolf problem.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Monsterfurby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 06:53:50 pm »

Please tell me that this thread will not go to the dark place.

But, back to topic:
Isn't it a bit sad that we have differing opinions about whether it's alright to stab lions in the eyes but we are all in perfect agreement that beating entire villages to death with their own body parts is perfectly fine? Remarkable.

Also, Wolves, Lions etc. are usually the first targets for every new adventure, so yeah, my characters usually do horrible things to them - being about as deadly as a rusty knife. Then again, you do the same bloody thing in every RPG. Has anyone ever asked the rats in Might and Magic what they think? The poor low-level spiders? Actually, the adventurers are doing horrible, HORRIBLE things to them - horrible enough for the game to explicitly not show what happens to them after you defeat 'em.

Erzrzore gur Vapvqrag.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2011, 10:58:51 pm »

Please tell me that this thread will not go to the dark place.

But, back to topic:
Isn't it a bit sad that we have differing opinions about whether it's alright to stab lions in the eyes but we are all in perfect agreement that beating entire villages to death with their own body parts is perfectly fine? Remarkable.

Also, Wolves, Lions etc. are usually the first targets for every new adventure, so yeah, my characters usually do horrible things to them - being about as deadly as a rusty knife. Then again, you do the same bloody thing in every RPG. Has anyone ever asked the rats in Might and Magic what they think? The poor low-level spiders? Actually, the adventurers are doing horrible, HORRIBLE things to them - horrible enough for the game to explicitly not show what happens to them after you defeat 'em.
uhh I do but that mostly due to hours spent trying to figure out how to get wild companions using Dfusion. I met a couple of Black bears that follow a force once. Rarely I get attack by animals that don't mutter their kills.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Knarfle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2011, 04:20:32 am »

So I played an adventure mode game and came apon some lions

That's not cruelty, that's bestiality.
What do you get when a Rhesus monkey steps on a weapons trap loaded with maximum adamantine blades?

Rhesus Pieces!

eepkeep

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Yawner
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2011, 10:07:51 am »

Complaining about animal cruelty in Dwarf Fortress is like saying the Nazis didn't serve good food. Besides, I never got why people get so riled up about depicting animal cruelty but don't particularly give a shit when it comes to cruelty against sapient creatures. Surely they feel the same amount of pain?
Eepkeep cancels Build signature: Needs creativity

Birdy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2011, 08:46:36 pm »

that made me lol.

Goes well with your avatar... sort of a "get it? get it?"

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2011, 08:49:40 pm »

I think it only counts if he came in it.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2011, 09:37:46 pm »

I think it only counts if he came in it.
not if he saw them and "JIMP".
if he "got all up in the lions loins" in average DF player terms he must have wrestled them to death thus making it Necrophilia. if he "Got all up in the lions loins" in Rumrusher Terms he tamed them drag them to a fort to retire in then got a taxi to move both him and the lioness(or lion if he like that) to a player fort and turn the adventurer he is playing now into a lion spend 2 season with the two swap the lion and his adventurer into humans/or the original race his adventurer was and deliver the half lion half man spawn... then name that thing Lion-o.
for average DF player actually MATE WITH THE BEAST!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Pages: 1 [2]