Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ring a ring of roses, we all fall down  (Read 1585 times)

Pyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dragons Can Code
Ring a ring of roses, we all fall down
« on: February 13, 2011, 06:31:26 pm »

Hay guys. I have been having some odd behaviour happen with my dwarves lately.
It seems that anyone assigned into the military eventually starts bleeding to death for no readily apparent reason. I have seen no combat reports and there will be a announcement that Urst McRambo Has Bled To Death with some long trail of read leading to the unfortunate body.
At the same time it seems that as I train up war dogs some of them just bleed to death on the spot.

Have training regimes become extremely intense or is this some kind of bug?
I didn't give the dwarves training weapons in their equipment so could the be braining themselves with real swords for practice and then bleeding out on the way to the hospital?

Its kind of depressing as I have just had a forgotten beast enter and my 10 strong army seems to ave fallen down to 2 lowly souls.

Shrapull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ring a ring of roses, we all fall down
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 06:36:04 pm »

Are they sparring with one another?

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 06:37:08 pm »

Wardogs don't even take part in sparring. If you didn't get a danger room (and it got out of hands), the only option that comes to my mind is some forgotten beast blood (maybe the kind that rots body parts).
In older versions, sparring could cause heavy injuries to soldiers, but that should be fixed now.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 06:50:01 pm »

If this happened with a Forgotten Beast, then it may be its Deadly Vapors or such.  They tend to cause nasty bloody things to happen, like causing lungs to explode.  Keep in mind that FB contaminants remain around, and are tough to get rid of.

Other than that, check the combat reports, see if they were in combat recently.

Pyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dragons Can Code
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 07:09:03 pm »

I'll have a look at the paths they are using  to see if it crosses an forgotten beast blood/ichor/other fluids.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 07:11:14 pm »

Check the items too-they might be getting infected by wearing stained armor left by the prior militia members
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 04:56:05 pm »

If you've used DFhacks or some such, theres always the chance you have rogue areas of massively hot temperature, that would cause nearly anything to boil and bleed out rather quickly by just walking through it for a second. Shut off temperature for a little bit and see if that fixes the problem. It's happened to me.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 06:51:23 pm »

Hmm, something like that happened to me but only with a couple of pets and only around one tile. Didn't think to look for weird contaminants but whatever it was didn't seem to cause dwarves to bleed. I built a wall or something over the suspicious tile and didn't see any more issues....  I did have some floors going over magma tunnels. Is standing on one too long dangerous? I hate weird unexplained things like this....

Sarudak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 12:43:01 am »

It's most likely contaminants on the armor of a fallen dwarf and that armor was picked up by a new recruit who promply died and left it for another recruit to pick up.

gralcio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 01:56:29 am »

I did have some floors going over magma tunnels. Is standing on one too long dangerous? I hate weird unexplained things like this....

If that was the case, calling it 'unexplained' would be a hell of an abuse.
Do some travelling, find a volcano and check if you are comfortable with running in a proximity of lava, breath in some volcanic ashes and fill your room with whatever 'air' comes out of that volcano. If you come back safe'n'sound, you will have the right to throw such events under 'unexplained'.

PS. You can also consider spending a minute in an oven set to let's say 220C
PSS. For safety reasons, don't.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 11:37:48 am »

...anyone assigned into the military eventually starts bleeding to death for no readily apparent reason... ...a announcement that Urst McRambo Has Bled To Death with some long trail of read leading to the unfortunate body.... ...as I train up war dogs some of them just bleed to death on the spot.
... just had a forgotten beast enter ....

1. Assuming the new recruits are wearing armor from the dead, check the armor for FB contaminants.

2. Are there any puddles of dwarf fat near the blood trail.

3. The blood trails lead to a body. Where do they lead from?

4. Where are these war dogs located in relation to the military? Can you see any puddles of dog fat?

5. Is the FB still alive? What did its description say?

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 08:38:29 pm »

FB appears shortly before the dwarven plague. This ain't rocket surgery.
"I haven't seen my parents in nearly a year, I can't move a foot in any direction, I spend all my days being attacked by animals, and I've been forced to drink sheep puke- wow that's a nice floor grate!"

afrosquirrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 12:19:51 am »

In older versions, sparring could cause heavy injuries to soldiers, but that should be fixed now.

I remember how I gave my champion an artifact obsidian sword before sparring practice in one old fort. Ten minutes later, she had added seven dwarf kills to her four goblin kills... fortunately, I didn't really need anyone else for defense.