Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Sad enough to come onto the forums on Christmas  (Read 2713 times)

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sad enough to come onto the forums on Christmas
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2010, 09:44:33 pm »

im so sad im bawling over here  :'(

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2010, 10:48:25 pm »

Is it for gnomes? I thougt they put out iron and knifes to keep the witches away.
There were many loose branches, of course, varying from area to area. Most magical beings, I believe.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2010, 11:31:13 pm »

Merry Christmas, one and all.

I got... a whole lot of stuff, apparently.
Mostly chocolate.
Everyone I know knows I like chocolate. :o

That said, Knecht Ruprecht looks alarmingly like a dwarf.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2010, 05:01:02 am »

Quote from: Deon
Oh yeah, and he does not go down chimneys and leaves presents under the new year tree, not in hanging socks.
Presents are not put in a sock, but, like in Russia, beneath the Christmas tree.
I think there's a misconception floating around that Santa leaves all the presents in the sock.  The presents tend to go under the tree, and the sock tends to contain smaller goodies like candy, or in my case, razors and brushes and various other personal-care products intended as a joke by my family.

Got a goosedown coat and New Vegas this year.  Yeehaw.
I keep thinking glacier fortress would be fun, but it always ends up as cave layer fortress.

Unnoskol

• Bay Watcher
  • Stryk teh erth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2010, 07:05:32 am »

Merry Christmas! Sorry I missed the forums; I met a girl at the mall who was ditched by her brothers on their way to a party yesterday, and I had to keep her company until the boys get home. (yay! ^_^)

...So what's the sad news?

Nospherat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dorfity dorf dorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2010, 07:20:29 am »

Yeah, his name is "Grandpa Frost" and he has a bigger beard :). Otherwise it's pretty much Santa. Oh yeah, and he does not go down chimneys and leaves presents under the new year tree, not in hanging socks. But otherwise he's almost the same.

Funny thing is, holiday views sometimes get politically distorted.
I live just a stone throw south of Deon in good old .ro.
About 20 years ago we had this "Mos Gerila" (Old Man Frost) imposed on us by the Communist Regime, as a "less religious" version of Santa. Some grumbled, some tried to hang on to old traditions and celebrate Old Man Christmas, and eventually, like all good drunk, hard-working drones, the lines between Frost and Christmas faded, and no one really gave a flying sock about who was delivering the goods.

Nowadays, things are even more confusing, with holidays like Halloween and Valentine's Day being imported, and with a more commercial Coca-Cola Santa flying around. Some old folks still remember Old Man Frost, some others are thoroughly befuddled, but most important, no one seems to care exactly WHO delivers the presents. It's good to see that while we switched from communism to democracy, some things never change.
I swear, I could pop at a children's party dressed as "Mister Wallaby The Fantastic" all dressed in magenta clothing, and no one would even blink, as long as I keep forking the goods.

Meh.
I celebrated by working nightshifts while playing dwarf fortress.
Usually my chefs are making easy meals, but for this one night i switched to making lavish meals. So much for axe-mas.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 07:24:15 am by Nospherat »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2010, 08:46:09 am »

That said, Knecht Ruprecht looks alarmingly like a dwarf.
Germany, especcially in the rhine area is according to the legends and folktales a place very similar to the world of dwarf fortress. You could find a dragon in every valley there.
Dwarves, small dark robed men with sometimes the legs of a goat, who lived in underground palaces, were hospital and would help out human miners with tips and info. But only if the miner was polite, if not, or if they stole goods, the dwarves would immidiatly kill the intruder.

But Ruprecht might be from the same source as black pete and the elves. Medieval stories say that Saint Nicolas was so powerful that he could subdue the devil to be his servant. So he would arive on his holyday with his servant in tow giving presents. Ofcourse, if kids had been bad, the devil would take them away to hell, where they belonged.

I didn't realise so many other countries had so many different variations on the celebration. I guess that people just love the black pete controversy. But tell me, do other countries also have poetry with gifts? Or a version of secret santa where you build contraptions around the gift?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2010, 12:41:13 pm »

I got a 2 Tb external Hd, a super dupe Nvidia graphics card, and a Logitech Gaming mouse. =/
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2010, 03:54:32 pm »

But tell me, do other countries also have poetry with gifts? Or a version of secret santa where you build contraptions around the gift?
That sounds amazing, by which I mean, we at least don't do that here in southeast US.  We often have this game that is played at parties where everyone trades gifts in such a way that no one is happy.
I keep thinking glacier fortress would be fun, but it always ends up as cave layer fortress.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2010, 04:04:16 pm »

*Looks at Rowanas profile*
*Looks at mine*

:'( IT'S POSTS PER DAY THAT COUNT!!!

Christmas? Love christmas!!! I traveled 500km to see my family this year, and all I got were some shirts. Still, nice to see everybody again. Tomorrow my sister comes up, and brings were two year old daughter, and that should be fun, because I havn't seen her for half a year.

Christmas is so awesome...
Pages: 1 2 [3]