Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Sad enough to come onto the forums on Christmas  (Read 2719 times)

taodih

• Bay Watcher
  • Aye
    • View Profile
Re: Sad enough to come onto the forums on Christmas
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2010, 12:35:29 pm »

Off topic tbh , anyway ,  if a harddrive is pretty full it does slow down to pc because it needs to skim through alot more data.
also reason why defragmentation is good for regular harddrives (not SSD's , really dont).

on topic , i had christmas on the 24the and the 25the alone home , it's nice ^^. I like the peace and qiuet, hot chocomilk and a bit of rum. If i could stand alcohol better it prolly would be a good scotch , quite dorfy imo.
Aye

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2010, 12:37:29 pm »

Posting here before annoying relatives and friends suck me back into life.

Merry Christmas.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Skadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2010, 12:57:52 pm »

So now i got a lot of free space on my hard drive so i can play DF at a faster pace.

I am pretty sure that's not how that works.

I dosent? Well then i learnt something new today.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2010, 02:09:25 pm »

I was enjoying my Christmas until I was accosted by the neighborhood children my family has virtually adopted.  So I'm lurking on the internet until the threat passes.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2010, 02:51:00 pm »

Why don't you like it, especially in the DF general discussion? :)
Plus, we do not celebrate Christmas in Russia, we have a character like Santa for the New Year. But anyway, merry christmas to those who celebrate it!
New year Santa? That's how he does the entire world... he's split off the Russians so that he can deal with them later!
Yeah, his name is "Grandpa Frost" and he has a bigger beard :). Otherwise it's pretty much Santa. Oh yeah, and he does not go down chimneys and leaves presents under the new year tree, not in hanging socks. But otherwise he's almost the same.

Santa:

Grandpa Frost:

I must admit that while his beard is longer, Santa's beard is more stylish on that picture hehe.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 02:53:17 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2010, 04:53:45 pm »

Deon, does everyone wear that same goddamn coat in Russia? It's so common in pictures of Russians that it may as well be russian skin.

also, your Grandpa Frost is way more hardcore. He has a staff! If you're naughty, he doesn't bring coal, he'll just beat you down.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2010, 05:00:18 pm »

Merry Christmas everyone ! It ended for me, I am safely in my room with my computer. But holy carp huge families makes for tiring christmas !

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2010, 05:08:11 pm »

Grandpa Frost just looks like an older, more traditional depiction of Santa, like marketing just hasn't had their way with him yet.

Anyway.  I'm at work.  Got up stupidly early (I don't think I slept at all) to spend an hour with the family opening gifts, and then had to leave.  Five more hours of epic struggle to stay awake and productive.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2010, 05:13:10 pm »

In Holland, we have yet another version of Santaclaus.
At the 5th of december, children put down their shoes under the chimney, to be filled with presents from "Sinterklaas" (Sint Heer Klaas = Saint Lord Nicolas)
This honors the memory of some bishop of the Turkish city of Mira, who was proclaimed a saint after his death, and is regarded as the patron saint of children. the 5th of december is said to have been his birthday.
In their shoes, the children leave a carrot, and perhaps an apple, as a gift for the saint's white horse, that carries him over the rooftops, delivering the packages to the children.
Sinterklaas is not helped by gnomes, like Santaclaus.
Instead, he is assisted by negroid helpers, called "Zwarte Piet" (Black Pete). Historically, in the time of the bishop's life, he would have had North-African servants (the Moors, taken captive after ending their occupation of Spain).

Sinterklaas looks somewhat like a cross between Santaclaus and a bishop. Big fluffy beard, red robe, red holy mitre, golden staff.

Santaclaus and Sinterklaas likely share the same historical figure as a basis for their names. However, the Anglo-saxon christmas variant incorporates Norse mythology (gnomes, reindeer, winter solstice), while as the Dutch (and Belgian) variant bases itself more on the history of the bishop.

Apart from putting out their shoes, there is also Gift's night, the next day, where it is custom for people to write small poems accompanying the presents, and make funny surprise packages for each other.
Most children in Holland genuinly believe in the existance of Sinterklaas until they are 7-8 years old.
If you don't behave, he will put you in his bag and take you with him to Spain.

At Christmas, some families do another round of present-giving, some don't.
There is no involvement of Santaclaus at Christmas time, whatsoever.
Presents are not put in a sock, but, like in Russia, beneath the Christmas tree.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 05:18:28 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

chewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2010, 05:58:21 pm »

If I remember right (from my geography lessons^^) Grandpa Frost can also be dressed blue and has a cute girl as companion, right?

In switzerland, Santa clause (called Samichlous in swiss german ;D) comes at 6th december, accompanied by a donkey. Doesn't bring any presents though.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2010, 07:04:28 pm »

Not sad, just got kicked off the TV.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Kadath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2010, 07:18:01 pm »

In Germany there's this guy in addition to Santa - Knecht Ruprecht.

You can kinda figure out what he's about just by looking at him.

edit: would be a neat avatar actually. just a sec...

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2010, 08:09:53 pm »

Back in Scandinavian folklore, we had trolls and gnomes. Instead of giving you presents, they helped the farmers while they were asleep. But if they didn't respect you or you didn't put out a bowl of porridge, they would cause all sorts of mischief and stuff.

People put out pieces of iron and knives to make the gnomes respect them.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 08:16:15 pm by MiniMacker »
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

Skadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2010, 08:54:34 pm »

Is it for gnomes? I thougt they put out iron and knifes to ceep the witches away.
I remember when i was a child we would put out porrige for the housegnome.
Before Sweden got santa we had the christmas goat that came with presents.
I can't find a god pitchure but the would usualy have a creepy goatmask and wear a goatpelt.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2010, 09:42:11 pm »

That's some freaky shit.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: 1 [2] 3