Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Geekiest Item in your House  (Read 5446 times)

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Geekiest Item in your House
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2010, 02:16:58 pm »

Erm, the Model M is that really heavy keyboard that came with most computers during the late 80's and early 90's. It's heavy, sturdy, and you could probably bash someone with it and continue to type with it afterwards.
Hey I may have one of those I keep as a spare in the basement. Does it have a big curly-q cord like old phones?

Yeah, mine does. If that really is a Model M, it's an excellent keyboard for typing on. If you don't like the clicky aspect of the keyboard, these keyboards are in high demand by people who want them. Clicky Keyboards sells these keyboards, and if you take a look at how much they go for, it's spectacular. I spend a lot of time trolling around Goodwills, waiting for some old business to decided to drop a ton of them in there.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2010, 04:29:03 pm »

My bookcase. Atop it's shelves sit multiple pure geek books. The Men of Mathematics, The Science Answer Book, The History of Mathematics, a 2000+ page book on the social and economic reasons for WWII, and below all that a collection of Terry Pratchett books accented by a Dune Novel, Conan, and nature field guides.

EDIT: Also, two huge Calvin & Hobbes books, dive manuals, and Forgotten Realms which I have yet to read. Also I have the players handbook, DM manual, and monster manual (3.5 edition) along with two dice sets and andventures in my desk, all of which belong to my friend.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 04:32:56 pm by Labs »
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2010, 12:29:29 am »

Geek as in the engraved sword I have, the RC Helicopter or the variable temperature soldering station?  They all have their own levels of geek. :p  I left my TRS-80 at my parents when I moved out.  Left my model star ships there as well.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2010, 06:42:16 am »

My DnD desk in the garage. The draws contain all that is needed for DnD - spare dice, campaign notes, stock villains, hand-drawn dungeon tiles, the lot.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2010, 06:56:12 am »

1. Half a dozen ancient computers and enough bits to build three or four more, acquired from Freecycle and jumble sales. I'm currently employing the Model M that came with one of these, which is absolutely excellent and has survived a considerable amount of abuse. (I'm also making do with the twelve-inch CRT monitor that came with the same machine until I get around to replacing the one my dad dropped down a flight of stairs, which is less wonderful.)

2. One of these.

3. A rudimentary Zombie Apocalypse Survival Kit. (More to do with pissing off a local wannabe gangbanger, actually, but that's a long story.)

4. An extensive PC repair toolkit and A+ Certification manual, but that probably doesn't count because it's my trade.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2010, 09:00:04 am »

Ooh, I found some more interesting stuff.

1. My case of D&D dice, including 2 of each of icosehedrons, dodecahedrons, decahedrons, octahedrons, cubes, and pyramids, along with a d100.

2. My 'electronics stuff' area, including a multimeter, oscilloscope, and soldering station.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Yalishandaw

• Bay Watcher
  • Thanks I could help, bro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2010, 04:38:57 pm »

Well, I have a plethora of tabletop rpg paraphernalia, gaming computer, and copy of GEB, but those have been done before.

So, a Soviet millitary surplus Chernkassy TK-F straight key(It's for sending morse code)
My avatar is Basil the Minotaur.  Go read Gunnerkrigg Court.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]