Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Geekiest Item in your House  (Read 5437 times)

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Geekiest Item in your House
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2010, 11:29:28 pm »

Probably my signed and autographed crayon drawing from the 09 dwarf fortress meetup.  I used to have a working (and installed) 5 1/4inch floppy drive on my main computer.  I even used it to load raid drivers once.  That broke a few years back, I should see if it has a lifetime warranty.  I suppose my network topography might apply too.  A few years back I got a draft N wireless nic that has drivers for everything, as long as it's 32 bit windows.  After being fed up with that, I popped it into an older computer I had and bridged the interfaces so I could get a wired connection.  I have that hooked up to a router in my room that supplies wired connections to my main computer, and my server.  It also provides network segregation so I don't have to deal with the opendns filtering I set up on the edge router.  Port forwarding is a pita, but otherwise the setup works pretty well.  For some strange reason I also have 2 atari 2600s and a working macintosh se I found in the garage.

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2010, 11:44:25 pm »

I have that massive mechanical monster of a keyboard, the IBM Model M.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: I also have the complete collection of the Forgotten Realms Harper books, The Essential Calvin and Hobbes, my Slackware installation DVD, and a jester's hat.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 11:47:38 pm by Captain Hat »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2010, 11:51:02 pm »

Looks like a normal keyboard. Is it just a huge version of a normal one? It's hard to tell without a comparison, but it seems a bit massive.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2010, 11:56:42 pm »

Erm, the Model M is that really heavy keyboard that came with most computers during the late 80's and early 90's. It's heavy, sturdy, and you could probably bash someone with it and continue to type with it afterwards.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2010, 12:11:22 am »

Wow, major brainfart there. Across my room from me is one similar to that made by IBM. I believe that's one that I found that had been dropped off of a roof 'on accident', and then left outside with a 'for free' sign on it all winter, before I took a walk one day, asked the owners about it, and then took home and started using. (I dried it out and checked the inside wiring first.) It lasted for a few years, but now I have a fancy-shmancy keyboard with more function buttons.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2010, 12:12:17 am »

PTTG... I have a lock of your hair in a glass case.

Oh, that's where it went.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2010, 12:17:32 am »

The geekiest thing I have that comes to mind is my Pastafarian shirt. I feel disappointed in myself.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2010, 12:20:23 am »

I have a giant suitcase full of DnD books, but that is about all.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2010, 12:23:16 am »

Erm, the Model M is that really heavy keyboard that came with most computers during the late 80's and early 90's. It's heavy, sturdy, and you could probably bash someone with it and continue to type with it afterwards.
Hey I may have one of those I keep as a spare in the basement. Does it have a big curly-q cord like old phones?
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2010, 01:10:42 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: I also have the complete collection of the Forgotten Realms Harper books, The Essential Calvin and Hobbes, my Slackware installation DVD, and a jester's hat.

AHHH!

I just realized that Captain Hat's Avatar is THE HAT! THE HAT! Not the GUY, the HAT! It makes so much sense now!

Back semi-on-topic: I'm pretty sure I've had a model M at some point. I do have a commodore 64 in a serious state of disrepair at the moment. Going to have to see if I can find viable giant floppies...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2010, 01:46:44 am »

Who doesn't have one of those?

I have a small airship made out of legos, a 6' cardboard tube, a D6 made out of 27D6, and Clickthulhu. I use to have a computer whose case front I replaced with cardboard so I could affix more fans to it. Plenty of other geeky stuff but the rest is pretty common.

stuntaneous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ungodly beard of awesome]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2010, 05:58:12 am »

Of the items that haven't since been buried in the deepest, darkest corner of a wardrobe.. probably my bundles of game design notes. They range from essays to barely coherent mind maps of one liners and my own super amazing doodlings :0 I tend to leave them everywhere.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2010, 07:35:10 am »

I sold my Star Trek:TNG Commander's Uniform and I didnt want that robocop action figure for my birthday. I might have installed the HBC on my Wii so I can doodle around with harmonium and make evolving music using the conway's game of life algorithm, but I still think the geekiest thing I own (and ever owned...) are a few magnetic particles on my harddisk arranged in a way only Dwarf Fortress can be responsible for.

And I'm stumped you all overlooked that in your own lives :)

On the other hand, yesterday night I left the apartment and before locking the door I looked down the hall and suddenly it struck me how many (old skool) skateboards I got hanging on my walls. I got them just because I loved their looks so much, I cant even pop an ollie. One of those boards I saved "from extinction". Seriously, they wanted to saw it in half and make a seat out of it, and it was one of the last of its kind.

And since I cant pull any tricks apart from a few stylish ways of grabbing my longboard without kneeling down or bending over, I guess that makes me geeky.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 07:38:34 am by Puck »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2010, 07:38:01 am »

Up until last year, I had a Nintendo Virtual Boy (I sold it), the Star Trek TNG VCR game (my cat shat in it so I threw it out) and a 30mm shell casing from a GAU-8A my uncle picked up in the air force.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2010, 09:15:35 am »

Two books, both given to me for Christmas last year:

Everything and More: A Compact History of ∞
How to Start a Conversation and Make Friends

EDIT: I have only read the first one.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6